22-250 heavy bolt lift and bolt click

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Edward, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Edward

Edward

I have a Savage 22-250. Sized rounds fit fine (easy bolt lift etc) After firing the bolt is VERY hard to lift and there's a hard bolt click at the top, Load is 34 gr varget behind a 52 gr sierra What could the problem be and how do I fix it thanks

2. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

Hard bolt lift and click are signs of too much pressure. Back down the load.

Why are you using Varget in a 22-250?

nmkid, MrMajestic and Geno C like this.
  3. Edward

Edward

I had plenty of Varget and Sierra had data using varget. What should I use I'm open to any suggestion ed

4. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

That shouldn't really be a hot load, but your symptoms of heavy bolt lift and clickers are describing something is causing excess pressure.

Capt45 and garandman like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

How full is the case with varget?

6. Edward

Edward

I'll check that tonight I'll also buy some factory 22-250s for comparison

7. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Good start. If you start looking for a different powder, I strongly suggest you try out Hodgdon CFE223. I get outstanding velocities and accuracy with 52-grain Hornadys. And as always - start low and work up carefully.

garandman and brians356 like this.
  8. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

I have shot 36-36.5 gr of Varget with 55 gr bullets for years in 6 different(rem,ruger,tc) 22-250. No pressure issues or problems you described. A friend has a new Savage 22-250 that factory brass will not rechamber in without sizing, we smoked the neck on some of the once fired factory brass and there are 3 small marks on each. Local gunsmith is going to use a Manson reamer I have to clean up the neck. He did say the bolt lift seemed heavy but we haven't messed with reloading for it and I haven't shot it. It is the long range version with accu stock.

Zero333 likes this.
  9. thatguyshm

thatguyshm

New brass? I have this problem with a savage with any new brass if I use a light load. How much is your brass growing on first firing? Have you used any other load with this rifle yet? Any factory ammo?

garandman likes this.
  10. JasonPeterson

JasonPeterson Gold $$ Contributor

Varget is a strong candidate for the best powder in the 22-250...its right along the same burn rate as H4895, IMR 4895 and IMR4064 which have been staple powders for the cartridge for decades. I have moved to only shooting Varget in my 22-250 Ackley with excellent results.

AckleymanII, long40shot and SPJ like this.
  11. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

And there is the old standy of H380 if you happen to have some on the shelf.

Terry, gambleone and FrankG like this.
  12. FrankG

FrankG

Does it do it with box ammo also?

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

13. gambleone

gambleone Silver $$ Contributor

imr 4064 or H380.

mikeinct likes this.
  14. r bose

r bose

Could be your sizing die. I had the same issue in a 308, bought a small base FL die and problem solved.

15. Edward

Edward

Loaded some 22-250 and went to the range. Compared them to factory rounds and all fed very smoothly. After firing factory rounds had very little bolt click The reloads had

very heavy bolt lift and bolt click. I use a Redding Full length die. I then stained the cartridges and saw that the chamber rubs them just above the webbing (measured this area before shooting (Sized .465-.467 after shooting they measure .469-.470) Should I get a new die, a small base die, or polish the chamber larger The primers look the same on the reloads and the factory rounds so I don't think they're hot (34gr varget 52 gr sierra) What do I do next????

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  16. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Gold $$ Contributor

Nothing wrong with using Varget in the 22-250, it’s a fine choice for that cartridge. That’s also a mild load.
    I’m betting it’s a sizing issue. Is your die adjusted correctly? I’d be tempted to screw the die into the press a little farther, thus sizing the case a little more.

Capt45 likes this.
  17. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Is the brass well used, and has many cycles? Thinking the brass is overworked and not springing back after firing. Sizing is also a possibility. Also, are you doing any annealing? If so, what process and how often?

Zero333 and GAnderson like this.
  18. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

It seems to me that the difference in diameter just above the head of fired and sized cases is plenty, and that you do not need a new die. Are your reloads free of all sizing lube? Also, while you may not need to change the size of your chamber, it could be rough, and you might want to look into that. To put a little perspective on the amount of sizing that you have, my ppc die sizes fired brass less than a thousandth at the back, and I do not have bolt issues unless I am doing a test and run the pressure up quite high. At that point the primer shows the pressure. One more thing. What are the fired and loaded neck diameters?

19. Edward

Edward

Yes but not a much

20. FrankG

FrankG

So with out seeing the gun here is my guess....

Could need a good cleaning. If you have some carbon built up and or some copper fouling this could be bumping your pressures up.

Does it with box ammo sometimes but your handloads you say do it more? At first I’m going to say your handloads are too hot. Even though according to your loads and data they sound like they are normal loads. If it’s doing it with box ammo but not as much....we know that the box ammo is loaded and tested in ammunition pressure test barrels. So that should rule out box ammo being a problem but it does do it. Then that would point to your ammo being too hot and or hotter than the box ammo.

With that being said I would have the bore and groove size dimensions of the barrel checked. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a factory barrel with the bore and groove tight (undersize). If the bore and or groove or both are undersize it will drive up pressures and can give you problems.

Then it could be something with the chamber itself causing issues. Do you see any abnormal marks on the brass anywhere? Any evidence or signs of the bullets engaging the rifling?

jepp2 and Zero333 like this.