22-250 AI vs 22x47 Lapua

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by xswanted, Jan 15, 2019.

1. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah I know....it’s been beat to death.

But I’m curious as to how a case like the 22x47 can achieve velocities with same weight bullets as the 22-250 AI can?

Are we running the Lapua case that much higher in pressure to achieve those speeds?

Is it that much more efficient?

My goal is to run a 75 Berger at 3200fps from an 18” barrel w/ suppressor for a more compact, extended range coyote gun.

Attached Files:

simo hayha likes this.
  2. B23

B23

Probably because, even though the 22-250AI maybe appears to be quite a bit bigger in case capacity sitting next to the 22x47, in all actuality, it's really not as much as our eyes try and make us believe.

3. xswanted

I just necked one down last night but is it pretty close?

4. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter. Gold $$ Contributor

More efficient and higher PSI.

Might want to go up a bushing size. That bullet base is sticking out of the neck.

RedfootRanch, Sniper338 and xswanted like this.
  5. xswanted

Yep, it was done quite quickly last night.

Grimstod likes this.
  6. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

In reality, I believe the 22x47 falls between the regular 22-250 and the Ackley in capacity.

284winner likes this.
  7. A_Gamehog

A_Gamehog

With my 22-250AI trimming brass is rare. You will be trimming more.

8. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

You wouldn't go wrong with either cases. I don't see Creedmoor behind it so your good to go !!!

MrMajestic, nakneker and Sniper338 like this.
  9. vlcakc

vlcakc

True. I shoot all three mentioned. Case capacity difference between the 22/250 AI and the 22X47L is very small. Case trimming is not a issue with either. Vic

savagedasher and linebaugh like this.
  10. xswanted

So it’s safe to say then the 22x47 will safely achieve the same speed with the same weight bullet as the 22-250AI?

My 22-250AI is toast and I used the same fifty pieces of brass for the entire barrel.

Lapua brass, I never had to trim it.

Blushing neck die and I used a body die every couple of firings.

I was impressed with the brass and know what the cartridge is capable of so it’s hard for me to switch....but I also like to try different stuff!

boltfluter, Sniper338 and A_Gamehog like this.
  11. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

6.5x47 Lapua brass is some of, if not the toughest brass of the smaller non magnum cases. Between that and the small primer pocket it will take a lot more pressure than any 22-250 brass. When a x47 case starts showing pressure, it's way up there!

JBT and boltfluter like this.
  12. B23

B23

The 22-250AI and 22 Creed are ballistic twins. Both have great brass available but the 22 Creed has the advantage of being a straight load and go if you use Alpha Munitions 22 Creed brass, or a simple neck down from 6mm Creedmoor brass.

The 22x47 has slightly less case capacity than does the 22-250AI or 22 Creed, so pressures being equal, the larger case capacity of the other two are going to run slightly faster.

For me, if I was looking to sling the heavy for caliber bullets and the 22-250AI, 22 Creedmoor, and 22x47 were on my short list, it would be an easy choice, I'd pick the 22 Creedmoor. Not because the case head says Creedmoor, I could careless what is stamped on the case head and I don't get to worked up over that stuff, but because it's a well designed case, already has the capacity of the 22-250AI, which is more than the 22x47, and requires less prep work.

284winner and xswanted like this.
  13. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

Redding makes a FL sizing die for the 22x47 if you call and ask.

I cannot figure out why people still neck size, and I don’t think it’s worth messing with a bushing die for a coyote rifle.

Every 22x47 I’ve seen would shoot the 80.5 Berger in high 1s, low 2s and I’d seriously go with that bullet over the 75 grain, hands down and wouldn’t even think twice.

boltfluter and simo hayha like this.
  14. xswanted

I use bushing dies on about everything. Just like to use them.

Been using the 75s and they perform very well on both fur, bang flop dead and extended shots.

I’m sure the 80 would be good to. I’ve shot a lot of dogs with the 80SMK and that seemed okay for sure.

15. Clancy

To each his own.... I’ve just been part of a case where 26 coyotes were shot in one night, 20 of them flopped around. All 75 Bergers from a 24” 22 Creed.
    I went back to the 80.5 after that.

I’ve never tried the 80 SMK or 80 Berger.

80.5 just works well and acts like a hunting bullet for me. It doesn’t even tear up cats. Shot 3 Saturday night and they all went straight in the chest or neck and never came out.

boltfluter likes this.
  16. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

I totally agree on the SP cases. Apples to apples, that srp will let you step on the gas w fewer undesirable results.

xswanted likes this.
  17. xswanted

Right.

18. Clancy

Right what? I hunt in Texas.... 26 is nothing special. Took 39 to win last weekend.

19. xswanted

Congrats.

20. Clancy

For one... I didn’t win.

But two, most “coyote farmers” really appreciate it when people from other states think it’s all bull.

I’m by no means the best at it, and people still think it’s a lie, and that just makes it so much sweeter.

Check out www.wtbbc.org and view the past results under contest info. Keep in mind that animals are temperature probed and every single member of winning teams are polygraphed. There’s really no denying it.

Using the 80.5 over the 75 is solid advice that you’d be wise to at least thank someone for before dismissing.