2018 Woodchuck hunting competition - Could it be done ?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Greg Taylor, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Greg Taylor

Greg Taylor Site $$ Sponsor

Do you all think we could put our collective heads together and figure out a way to make a little game of eastern groundhog (woodchuck) hunting among the forum this year?

I understand some people live in target rich environments and some do not, but they shouldn't be excluded from the fun.

Also, having proof of said kills could be easily forged. Requiring video could be cost prohibitive for many as well. But all that said, I think it would be fun to have a little tally going with the guys who live and breath this stuff.

okie and Gene66 like this.
  2. varmintshooter

varmintshooter

I shoot a fair amount of GH's every year but I do it for fun and would not want to compete. I got into trap shooting years ago and it took all my time and money. Offshore sportfishing the same thing. Others may enjoy it but I wouldn't. Hope it works out, I will read the results. BTW I ended last year with 305.

foxguy and Greg Taylor like this.
  3. Greg Taylor

This would be a stress-free competition. Just a little fun to laugh with the guys about. If you shoot 1, nice! if you shoot 305 - WAY TO GO.

4. Webster

Webster

I live in Ohio. I have only seen about 5 GH in the last 5 years. Coyotes are everywhere. There's plenty of them in urban areas.

WyleWD likes this.
  5. sawcarver

sawcarver Silver $$ Contributor

I think it would be fun, and yeah proof could be forged but most people here are honorable, besides who wants to win a competion by cheating especially when it's all for fun.

And if there's guys who have shot 305 in a year, my meager 50 last year won't be anywhere near the top

6. ab_bentley

ab_bentley I fix stuff, sometimes.... Silver $$ Contributor

Keep tails.....

40X Guy likes this.
  7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

I never had a year like 305. 135 was my best. Some farms are dropping the gas bombs in the holes early in the season. That really cuts back on the targets.

Maybe we could have something like Kinsey's in south central PA. They run a groundhog contest. Cost is minimal to enter and largest total of five weighed at the store wins first prize and there are prizes for 2nd and 3rd place.

Greg Taylor likes this.
  8. Greg Taylor

the problem with keeping tails is if you were dishonest you could keep your tails all year and say "i shot 2 today" when really they shot them the previous week and are photographing the tails again

ab_bentley likes this.
  9. Greg Taylor

We could do weight - that is easy to verify with a photo

357Mag and WyleWD like this.
  10. Nomad47

Nomad47

Last year was a down year for me due to ulnar nerve issues - only an even 300. 427 the year before. But I may not get to 300 this year due to two reasons - health and my previous high kill tallies are really taking a toll on the local groundhog population.

MrMajestic likes this.
  11. Bangs OH

Bangs OH

Thanks for the idea, but no thanks. Groundhog numbers are down everywhere. With all due respect, we don't need numbers contests or unnecessary spring hunting to aid the decline. I wish now I could turn back time and not have hunted those fields that once teemed with 'hogs like there was no tomorrow. Used to even blast pregnant females at rimfire distances (as some landowners demanded); now I tend to, uh, "miss" any under 200 yards.
    If a species exists that needs thinned out from over-hunting, that would be the coyote; unfortunately, the more stressed their numbers become the more young ones they pop out - kind of like some humans do.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    bigstick6017555, T 700 and WyleWD like this.
  12. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

Weight would be good. With a bonus of some kind given to every coyote shot while chuck hunting. I agree with Bangs OH.
    But come to think of it, maybe a monthly prize? Since the big fat winter ready ones in October and November are in a class of their own after fattening up on ripe soybeans. Just a thought. WD

13. varmintshooter

varmintshooter

Lots of opinions on hunting contests and what time of year to shoot GH's. Here in the east we have mostly bean fields, hay and corn. Farmers want GH's gone when they plant beans but you cant see them once the beans get high so I shoot them early in the year. Hay fields are a little different in that they can be shot all summer so I tend not to shoot them as early in the year. I don't think they have much effect on corn other than digging holes in the field. There have been years where I, like Nomad 47, thought I had wiped out the population just to have a better year the following year.

hogpatrol and WyleWD like this.
  14. hogpatrol

Groundhog numbers where I hunt go in cycles. Doesn't seem to matter if they get hammered or not. One year they'll be a little scarce and we hammer them and the next year they're everywhere and we can't keep up. It all depends on the crops planted and how dumb the little ones are. We have a lot of fox and they sit by the holes waiting for the pups. Hawks and bald eagles are fairly prevalent too.
    On another note, due to farming, there are way more groundhogs than when the Pilgrims landed. Same with deer. They take out the first four rows of corn on the edge of fields. They are becoming a pestilence, nothing to see herds of 40 to 50 after the season is over. Food supply is unlimited, no natural predators and hunting is restricted because of private property.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  15. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

have seen 3 dead, and one alive where i live. If you could kill one here you should get varmint guru status for life...kinda like hens teeth here

Mark W likes this.
  16. FFEMT

FFEMT Gold $$ Contributor

okie is absolutely correct on the Oklahoma groundhog population. I’ve lived in the Northeast corner of Oklahoma my entire life (except during my venture in the service ), I have lived in the Osage Hills for a little over 35 years and have actually seen “ONE”........ This one showed up in my backyard about 7-8 years ago, was there off and on for a couple years and I have not seen one since. That one probably died of natural causes, it was such a rare site that I could not bring myself to even think of shooting it. If we (Oklahoma types) could substitute Coyotes, then I’m in. :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    okie, MrMajestic and Greg Taylor like this.
  17. Greg Taylor

We could absolutely bring in Yotes...maybe let a yote be worth 5 chucks depending on the state. In states where chucks don't run native make it 2-1, maybe even up, or something.

FFEMT, WyleWD and hogpatrol like this.
  18. K22

K22

The idea of turning hunting into a competition is repulsive to me. If you need that then you're missing the best part of hunting, being in the field and enjoying nature. If you want to compete shoot matches.

I do shoot ghogs under 100 yards so I'd finish in last place.

FFEMT, Greg Taylor and varmintshooter like this.
  19. hogpatrol

I don't think this is a level of competition say as in organized matches, bass fishing or other sports, just a friendly battle for bragging rights. Drill down a little bit and one can make the argument that hunting for record breaking trophy animals is competition with other hunters.

20. Greg Taylor

Appreciate the opinion. I just love to see as many hunting rigs, stories, pictures and videos as possible. Making a little board with a long thread list as a go to is all the point of it is. Considering the Luke warm reception, might be best to just use the standard board