2000 yard ELR match

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Alex Wheeler, Dec 22, 2017.

1. retired

retired

sorry..but you are trying to apply your view..and it aint what was proposed.
    pretty simple.

2. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@fredo
    This is 2000 YARDS for ACCURACY. Which is already going to take equipment not commonly used.
    I know very few people that have shot at 2000 yards, let alone have there rifles setup to do so.

The crowd I suggest to appeal to the most is those who have likely already shot to a mile or beyond. Who already have scope bases, scopes, and equipment to shoot with precision beyond 1000yds. And likely have already shot in competition or extended long distances.
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

Speaking of scopes, what power range would you think is best for this ? Troy

dmoran likes this.
  4. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

When you start combining all the gear you will see a trend to the heaviest rifle possible with carbon fiber bipods and custom rear bags. The more items covered under the weight limit the more places to spend money. Right now we have a class that will cover every sporter. The class we are talking about is to possibly get guys who wont shoot the regular class because the feel out gunned.

Ledd Slinger and dmoran like this.
  5. dmoran

The scope base and scope's elevation adjustment range will need to be considered more so then the power, sort to speak. When I shot at 2000 yards, did so with a 12-42x56 NF from a scope base that I preset to 100-MOA.

Can't really suggest what power capability would be best, but will suggest that the more you have the easier it will be to see impacts and aim small. With clarity being a much needed demand as well - IME
    Donovan

6. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

13-16 lbs for a sporter hunting rifle PLUS more weight for accessories??? Do you hike with those chunks of lead? How big a feller are ya? o_O

Can't imagine trying to lug around a 16lb+ rifle in the field while hunting.

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  7. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I agree, a 15lb sporter rifle is not really practical. Most of my customers want 10lb with a scope MAX. 13-16 are not sporters at all. We call those truck guns.

dmoran and Ledd Slinger like this.
  8. ttfreestyle

Sounds like fun, count me in. I’ll make the drive from Tennessee just for the experience of shooting with you guys and to see the beautiful country. Troy

dmoran likes this.
  9. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Ledd, 6'1", 220, and my 6.5SAUM is 10 and change, locked & loaded carry weight. I'll take that every time, over carrying my Norma Imp up a mountain. But for the proposed shoot, that Norma Imp would wipe the floor with the 6.5, so of course I'd shoot that. Wouldn't you?

Weren't you one of the guys who, in another thread, argued on the side of the 6.5Creed as being a capable "one mile" cartridge?o_O

I'm telling ya right now, there are guys just like me who already have the equipment to attend and enjoy this kind of proposed shoot. Your head's in the clouds if ya think you BR guys are the only segment of shooters with capable gear.

All ya gotta do is define a class that appeals to them, and you'll very likely develop a following. You'd be tapping into the massively popular 'precision rifle' practical shooters pool, of which is growing by leaps and bounds. Especially if ya had 'qualifying' ranges like the Ko2M that been airing in TV. I bet guys WOULD be happy to show up with their 6.5Creeds, just to make some hits at a 1K qualifier.

Or, don't.

I'm done offering up suggestions. It appears there's about as much a chance of practical shooters showing up at a glorified BR match as their is one of you guys leaving your SEBs to try KYL @400 off a wobbly barricade at any precision rifle match...

y'all have fun with yourselves out there.

10. Ledd Slinger

Well "10lb-and-change" is a completely different story. Massive difference from 13-16+ lbs when hiking all day.
    I'm 6'0", 225lb and 10lbs about where I like my hunting rifles. My big 338-375R has a Sendero contour 26" barrel, 4 port muzzle brake, one piece rail, high rings, 6-24x50mm scope, and carbon fiber stock fully bedded with devcon. All that included comes in at a total weight of 10lbs 3oz. I consider that a fairly heavy "sporter rifle".

Recoil is still comfortable shooting a 250gr Berger at 2952 fps. My 13 year old son shot his buck with it this year. With a 'good' muzzle brake like a Harrel's or BEAST brake, these big 33's don't have to weigh a ton to tame the recoil.

11. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Yup, 10-12lbs is all I care to carry for killing stuff. That's why I thought a 20lb. max weight would be a plenty safe/fair cutoff, once a bipod, magazine (if used) and rear bag were factored in. And it'd still allow the guys with hunting/practical type WinMags, Norma's EDGEs etc...a crack at the action.

No worries, you guys have fun!

12. Ledd Slinger

I am not aware of any shooting competition where the rear bag is factored in as part of the rifle weight limit.

13. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

Even modern sniper rifles like the AI, which are as "practical" as they get, weigh in at more than 15 pounds ready to shoot, and they're not expected to be accurate at 2000 yards. Just sayin.

14. wholman

wholman

I need more info on the part about free gas.
    I am 2days away and will food be included.
    Do we just bring our receipts.
    lol

15. dmoran

All my replies to you here as well as yours, have been in the discussion to Bi-Pod ONLY class', so you can blow all your benchrest and front rest comments out your ass.

I'll be on the ground with a BiPod myself for limited class. Have competed like that many times.:cool:
    Have fun at home by yourself...

16. ttfreestyle

Hmmm do tell about free gas and food

17. retired

retired

again you are applying your narrow view to the match.
    NO ONE SAID A CARRIED FIELD RIFLE. no one...your opinion.
    it is a match to shoot accurately at 2000 yards. not a field craft match.
    open your eyes, open your mind,
    or
    go run your own match.

Jason Boersma likes this.
  18. LHSmith

LHSmith

I picture you as a Carl Spackler kind of guy.[​IMG]

19. Ledd Slinger

So I was just thinking about the shoot in Montana during the month of August. That's the hottest month of the year. Not uncommon to see temps up to 100 degrees or more.

Shooting 500 yards is hard enough with the mirage on a really hot day. Say it's 95 degrees out, do we really think we'll be able to see a target at 2K well enough to place rounds on it accurately? Might have to turn scopes down to 10X. Just a thought.

20. ttfreestyle

Don’t tell me I’ll leave Tennessee’s hot sticky weather and it will be the same there....