2000 yard ELR match

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by Alex Wheeler, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

How many of you would be interested in a 2,000 yard group/score match shot on a paper target? Basically a run what ya brung match. I am interested in hearing if you would travel to Mt. to shoot and what kind of rules and formats you'd like. I think with the recent rules we are seeing for the elr match (3 for 3) that there will be more guys building and shooting elr. Would be nice to have another type of match to be able to use your elr rifle in.

ohiodan, blaster50 and dmoran like this.
  2. kthomas

kthomas

Interesting concept.

A big challenge with shooting paper at that distance is a lack of positive feedback. I highly doubt you will be able to see your groups on paper at that distance, not with the optics currently in play. If you don't know that you are actually on the target, it will be very hard to make any adjustments and shoot any groups.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but I believe that will be the biggest hurdle.

I agree with more ELR matches, and excited to see how this develops. I may even travel to MT to participate. Looking forward to more discussion on this.

Zero333 and dmoran like this.
  3. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

Group & Score at 2000 ........ COUNT ME IN !.!.!

My suggestions:
    - current IBS1000 score targets would be perfect, they are 4-MOA at 1k or 2-MOA at 2k.
    - misses get 2-MOA addition/penalty added
    - from the ground or portable bench (shooters provide)
    - Bipods, tripods, sandbag rests, shooting sticks.... all good to go

calib, dogdude and Mulligan like this.
  4. Alex Wheeler

What do you think about f-class 1000 yard targets? Easier to see though lower powered scopes and a little bigger. Was even thinking a wider than tall target to help if its windy. Its pretty easy to see bullet strikes and we would use clay pigeons or something similar to sight in on then go to the target. The place I am thinking about is not too windy, but you never know what will happen.

Rogmay, Raythemanroe and 284winner like this.
  5. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

That sounds like a good time. I've never shot that far before. Bet I'd learn a few things from the folks that have.
    Probably have to re-tune the 338 with 300gr Bergers to stretch that distance. Don't think the 6's and 6.5's are gonna cut it ;)

What are you thinking of running Alex? 30 Nosler?

6. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Count me in as well.

dmoran likes this.
  7. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe a "rest" class and a "bipod only" class. I think you would at least get a relays worth of each. Need to figure out how to keep early "errant" sighters from accidentally hitting paper...... But I'm in

Tom

284winner and Ledd Slinger like this.
  8. VaRandy

VaRandy Silver $$ Contributor

Sounds like fun. What state would it be held in and when?

9. davidpatton

davidpatton Gold $$ Contributor

Montana, where all the cool stuff happens

bigngreen and tom like this.
  10. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

11. Ledd Slinger

+1 vote for a Bipod class.

12. Alex Wheeler

Why? Serious question.

13. Alex Wheeler

338 lapua improved and 300s. Working on the reamer now. Already have a surgeon xl single shot in an A5 thats currently an edge. New bolt and barrel and Im good.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  14. Ledd Slinger

More human element in the shot. Takes more proper shooting technique to make a long range shot from a bipod than a giant $1k+ BR tracking rest. Not that I am anywhere near the best at shooting prone with a bipod, I just find it to be more of a challenge and more rewarding when you make a good hit on the target.

Nothing against BR rests. I have a big BR rest as well so I'd take a stab at both techniques.

Zero333 and fredo like this.
  15. Alex Wheeler

I know a lot of guys think there is this huge advantage to a rest. What about the bipods used in f-tr? Very stable, free recoil, no input similar to a rest. Look at the joy pod. More expensive than some rests. Im not against different classes, I just want to make sure they are needed so we dont end up with as many different classes as shooters.

16. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

In a paper match, for group, hell yes I would say 7 seconds is what a true heavy would easily run 5 shots. I'm fairly efficient off bipod, but doubtful I could manage under about 25-30 seconds. Would it be as big of an advantage as "any aiming device", I don't know, but probably we should make the humans make scope adjustments and wind holds.

Edit. For the record, I would want to see rests allowed and if enough interest then a non rest class. I really want to see what is possible, and to see that I am picturing something like what Eddie Kenzekoski hunts with LOL. He was doing ELR before it was even an acronym!

Tom

dkhunt14 and Ledd Slinger like this.
  17. Alex Wheeler

Your not going to be shooting off a concrete bench.

18. Ledd Slinger

Doesn't really make a difference to me. It would be a fun shoot either way. I just personally enjoy shooting from a bipod since that's how I do 90%+ of my shooting past 100 yards

19. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

The ground is more stable yet you dipshit lol

bbarber25, Hoodoo, 284winner and 2 others like this.
  20. Alex Wheeler

Ok, so your shooting off the ground at the next 1k br match? Doubt that. Im fine with it, I just dont think its needed, but if it gets people to come thats fine.

BT1 likes this.