~20 Vartarg~ old Standby

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by HillbillysniperSWVA, Apr 7, 2014.

1. HillbillysniperSWVA

HillbillysniperSWVA Gold $$ Contributor

Just looking at my rifles and wondering what one will see the most action this spring and summer with Turkey season starting saturday and groundhogs around june i decided my old standby 20 Vartarg will probably steal the show once again. this is a fun little caliber that can take groundhogs and varmints out to 400yds with ease. I have taken several Big Gobblers out in the fields with this wicked round. Even got one in 2011 one shot at 502yds. This is my all time absolute favorite of all rounds! I will never start any hunting season without a 20 Vartarg!!!! Current one is a rem 700 trued and a lilja 1-12 twist rem varmint barrel. never shoots out of a dime and most of the time .1 and .2 groups are the norm.

2. tjtjwdad

tjtjwdad

I built my 20VT on a Rem M700 17 FB action and it shoots and functions 100%. When I shoot the barrel out of one of my 204 R700 THLVSS models I'm temping real hard to turn it into a 20 VT or maybe a 20 Practical or Tactical. I'd prefer the VT but I'm wondering if the little round will cycle properly on a STD SA, I do have an extra 17FB bolt so that isn't a problem.

3. th82457

th82457 Silver $$ Contributor

I cannot believe that the Vartarg is not a factory round by now. Mine is ridiculously accurate with multiple loads and a total blast on targets and small vermin.

4. DogBuster

DogBuster Silver $$ Contributor

Built my 20VT about 7 years ago....Salvage s/shot...

P-N 12T/3 groove....rechambered a 204R barrel....good choice

Have a rechambered 20-222 this year to play with...was a 20BR

Gotta love the 20's...yes have a 20 PT too.......

L-R.............20VT..20PT..204R...223AI.......

[​IMG]

5. SShooterZ

SShooterZ

I agree on all points. What a magnificent little round that is just an absolute hoot to shoot. Kindler picked a winner on this one for sure.

6. CatShooter

CatShooter Guest

I agree - I would have rather seen the 20 VT become a commercial round, than the 17 FurBall.

After the flop that the 17 FurBall was, I doubt that any manufacturer will take the chance on a small case sub-bore again for a loooooong time.

7. HillbillysniperSWVA

Virginia you can shoot turkeys with a rifle fall or spring.

8. HillbillysniperSWVA

There are a few good states that allow u to take turkeys with a rifle. Some don't like it but i love shooting them with a rifle. i have shoot a few out pass the 500yd mark. Nothing more exciting then shooting a BIG GOBBLER at long range with a 20 caliber rifle.

9. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

I wish we could do that here. Of course it's not that hard to get one with a shotgun or bow. Our season opens tomorrow as well.

10. HillbillysniperSWVA

I like to also call them in close and shotgun them. But right now nothing has greened up much here. Still kinda fall look in the woods.