20 Vartarg drop in barrel

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Mark McMahon, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

Hey Guys, To your knowledge does anybody offer drop in barrel for the 20 vartarg

2. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

Check with Shilen.

3. varmintshooter

varmintshooter

Not sure what you mean by drop in. I have a barrel by E R Shaw that shoots very good, better than I was expecting. This was for a Savage action.

4. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

A drop in barrel is a barrel that is pre-manufatured in specific chamberings to fit a specific action, Most of your barrel manufactures like Pac-nor, Lilja, Shilen ect. will offer drop in barrels, The barrel companys have these in stock and on their shelf ready for the customer, all that is required is fitting to your action, Brownells, Midway and others carry some of these, I was just wondering if anybody Had run across anything in a 20 Vartarg

5. dfrosch

dfrosch Silver $$ Contributor

Mark McMahon likes this.
  6. SBS

SBS Gold $$ Contributor

Check with Northland Shooters Supply. They list the .20 Vartarg in both Criterion and Shilen dropins for the Savage actions and Criterion for the Rem. 700. 763-682-4296.

JSH likes this.
  7. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

The 20VT is now a standard chambering from Pac-Nor due to the popularity. You might want to check with them first. They will also chamber your barrel with your reamer if supplied. They did a M700 in 204 Match with my reamer for me on a 3-groove 11-twist that is one of the best shooting rifles I own.

17VLD and boltfluter like this.
  8. varget204

varget204

Northland Shooter Supply sells Pre-Fit,Drop in Barrels ,Criterion and Shilen. A Criterion Match barrel cost $ 300 plus shpg,for Savage and Remington actions

HOSIN1 likes this.
  9. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

You didn't say what brand action the "drop in barrel" was for?;)
    Savage, not a problem. Remington or something else? Will need to be "smithed" and set up.

Bangs OH likes this.
  10. mchees1

mchees1

Actually, Northland Shooter Supply has Criterion barrels that they call Rem/Age barrels that are a drop in for Rem actions. Works just like the Savage - need a barrel nut and you are good to go. I put a 6mm Creedmoor Criterion barrel on a Rem 700 action. Couldn't be easier. Headspace and dropped in my chassis and good to go. Shoots very well. Criterion offers the 20 VT.

11. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Several makers offer (pre-fit barrels) which I think the poster refered to as drop ins. They are available now for Rem, Savage, Howa and I believe some others and chambered in numerous calibers, even the likes of the 20VT. Google Pre-fit barrels and you will see some listed.

12. 20VarTarg

20VarTarg Silver $$ Contributor

I purchased a pre-fit Shilen in 20 VarTarg off a member here about 4 or 5 months ago. It was for a Savage small shank. I slapped that bad boy together and right out of the gate it was shooting .3's @ 100 yds. Same load I use in my Cooper Model 38. I never tried to get it to shoot any better!!!!

13. SeabeeKen

SeabeeKen

If its a savage, Pac-Nor and Shilen both offer prefit barrels for 20VT. There are others but I dont remember which. I just ordered mine from pacnor because they had a better selection of twists than Shilen. I wanted an 11T. I've used both and no issues

14. varget204

varget204

NSS sells Rem prefit drop in barrels,you need a Rem barrel nut and a Go gage also sold by NSS,You can get Criterion,Shilen Match,Shelin select match.The Rem are around $370-$400

Mark W likes this.