20 Vartarg Advice

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Mark McMahon, Feb 9, 2018.

1. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

I have a remington 700 22-250 that is doing nothing... I guess I could screw on a custom 20 vt barrel on it... couldn't I...?

2. Hotshot

Hotshot Gold $$ Contributor

Daniel, you would need a different bolt.

daniel brothers likes this.
  3. HillbillysniperSWVA

HillbillysniperSWVA

Daniel you will need a 223 boltface or have that 22-250 bolt sized to 223 and put a Sako Extractor in it.

4. L.Sherm

L.Sherm

Go with zero freebore on your reamer also.

5. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

And make it a .234 neck too. That way you can use just about any brass and you won't have to mess with neck turning your brass. More trigger time and less time spent messing with brass.:D:cool:

6. chuckshooter

chuckshooter Silver $$ Contributor

Mike, I think it depends on how he comes up with the brass. you know me, I made the rimmed version starting with DW360 and my 40x runs 223 sized way down. on both of those I needed to trim the necks any way. I just hate taking out too much steel in a chamber, I have never found a way to but it back. so I would go with the .232
    BTW, Mike, thanks for the 225win brass,wish I had more

7. 3Ackleys

3Ackleys Silver $$ Contributor

Without spending a fortune: I ordered a T/C contender barrel from MGM bought a new stainless contender frame and went through it with Bellm TC parts put on a Zeiss 6.5-20 shoots amazing and once you have this you will definitely want another 20VT so...
    spending more: I ordered a Cooper. I still look for a Rem fireball at every gun show so I can build just 1 more!

8. 1raggedhole

1raggedhole

I have a Sako L461 vixen for sale in classifieds. Was planning to rebarrel that to 20VT, but got distracted by a few other projects. Would make a dandy 20VT!

Prose likes this.
  9. NWnewguy

NWnewguy Silver $$ Contributor

Love my Savages for the money, but you could say they will extract but not eject about any cartridge in them!

10. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

The problem I ran into was necks binding in the chamber. Finally figured out the necks were too fat. I was using Remington .221 Fireball brass and the "new stuff" formed to the 20 VT would chamber with no problems. Tried forming my fired Remington brass and ran into problems. Necks just a little too fat. Fired brass was all over the place compared to the new. Solved that problem with the .234 neck reamer.:D

11. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

Thanks Guys for your help.... it's appreciated very much.

I can't believe this 20 Vartarg Bug has bitten me, and I don't even own one yet. I feel like I've been bitten by that same bug that got me when i was young and finally understood the desire for girls... the Cootie Bug Bite.

I'm going to have my 204 12 fv barrel reamed out when I get it from cabelas... but in the meantime... I bought a used Shilen 12 tw 24" 20 vt barrel heading my way. Now I have to round up components.... Hmmm.... where o where to start....? LOL.

PS.... as I typing this.... I"m also leaning really hard towards selling that 204 barrel and getting a custom... which sounds like the BETTER WAY TO GO.

I have a CZ 204 with a custom Gre'-Tan barrel on that I don't want to touch... BUT... I could look around for a used CZ 204 barrel that could also be redone, because those CZ's are super in every way.... Hmmmm... more thinking to do...and searching. My eyes and butt are sore from reading and sitting at the PC. I better get something done while the Bug is still got it's stinger in me...LOL.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  12. Whiskey4

Whiskey4

When you ordered the contender barrel what lenght an twist did you go with ??