20 Tactical or Practical..???

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by mikeinct, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mikeinct

mikeinct

How many of these 20 caliber owners are there on this board??..I'm just being nosey...That & anyone care to share loading data & best group info ??? just maybe before summer we put together an informal postal match...[except we use this board no stamps].... mike in ct

2. vargetman

vargetman

Mike I have a 20 practical. It is a 1/11 twist Pac-Nor barrel. It was chambered by Kevin Weaver. I use 39 grain Sierra,s with 24 grains of reloader 10, Remington brass and federal 205 primers. The load in my rifle crono,s at 3860. I have shot it 4000 plus BUT THIS WAS A REAL HOT LOAD AND WILL BLOW THE PRIMERS. I loaded to 25.3 gains of reloader 10x .Again this is A HOT LOAD SO DO NOT USE.I have shot a 15 shot .350 ths group. Also it it a Savage action that was done by Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooter Supply with his trigger set at 1 lb.I have shot 3 woodchucks with this rifle. One at 225,250 and 300 yards. The one at 225 the bullet went thru and came out the back side. The other 2 the bullet,s exploded inside. I have only tried 2 bullets.The other being a 40 grain Hornady they did not shoot as well as the Sierra,s. I also tried v-133, H4895 and Winchester primers. Reloader 10x gave me the best accuracy and velocity.I also found as little as a .3 grain gain in the 20 will and can be A HOT load. I would advise starting at the bottom loads for the .223 and going up in .3 tenths grain increments. Again watch for pressure signs. Hard bolt lift or blown primers. . By the way do not use a maximum .223 load in a 20 practical I think you will find it is to hot. Hope this helps .John

3. mikeinct

mikeinct

I hear all that John..the Tac has less internal capacity...Start low...Your gun & mine are both Pac-Nor one in 11 twist..I've had good results with the Sierra 39 also...Interested in a postal match??..Your gun & mine seem about as accurate..I'll put up the six pack target 2 for sighters best four for braggin rights..mike in ct

4. Fireball

Fireball

We have an annual postal match over at the small caliber forum here http://www.saubier.com/forum.html

It is for small caliber, .20 and under only.