.20 caliber twist question

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by dimecovers3, Sep 1, 2005.

1. dimecovers3

dimecovers3

From what I have gathered reading several boards over the last year, just about anybody can get their .204 Ruger to shoot great with the 32 grain bullet, but most are having trouble getting the 40 grain bullet to group as well. Everyone is using a 1/12 twist barrel. From checking every custom barrel maker, 1/12 is about it except you can get a 1/9 from Lilja and Krieger has about six different twists. I want to build a Tac 20 and use heavier bullets,39 and 40 grains). What is the ideal twist? I'm not sure what the 1 in 9 would be good for,some ultra long range high BC bullet I guess), but I'm thinking a 1 in 11 would shoot 32's and 40's great, but I'm only guessing. Does anybody have any insight into this. Is there a formula to compute it? Does barrel length have any effect? I sure wish there was more out there on the Twenties! P.S. What kind of rings are those on WarrenB's Bat Action in the picture----very sweet!

2. Fireball

Fireball

Thank you for the compliment on my rifle.

In my experience it is only the 40 gr. Vmax that folks are having troubles with in their 1-12s, and not other 40 gr. bullets from other manufacturers. I don't think it is the twist, I think it is the bullet. I believe the 40 gr. Vmax is fundamentally flawed somehow. Perhaps the long boat tail on it? I can't get it to shoot consistently in any of my three twenties. I have two Lilja 1-12s and one Lilja 1-9". No dice. And these are well made custom rifles done by top smiths with custom reamers.

However, all of my 20 caliber rifles will shoot either the Berger 40 gr. or Sierra 39 gr. bullets into one ragged hole.

My advice would be to buy Hornady's 32 gr. Vmaxes as they shoot incredibly well. But take a pass on their 40s. If you do buy them buy just one box so you can see if they end up shooting well for you.

Do a 1-12 twist and shoot the Bergers and the Sierras and don't look back. Only reason to go with a 1-9 is if you want to shoot the Berger 50s.

3. Fireball

Fireball

Sorry, I forgot to answer your last question. Those are BAT 30mm rings that were custom machined for me by Bruce to get the scope lower. They are normally a tall benchrest ring designed to keep one's cheek off the stock. By lowering them I got a better cheek weld for my application.

Whiskey4 likes this.