2 Groundhogs, 1 Shot

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Petey, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Petey

Petey Gold $$ Contributor

On this cold January day, I figured I'd reminisce to those hot summer days back in July. I was kind of "contracted" out to exterminate every groundhog on my neighbor's horse farm as those dirty little buggers were creating all kind of holes in his pasture. Really what it gained me (although he would have gave me permission anyhow) was access to hunt the farm in archery season. He's got some serious money in his horses and didn't want any injured by stepping in holes.

I managed to kill every groundhog that came into sight over the course of a couple weeks. (knocking on 30) Some pretty tricky shots, some pretty easy. Most of the tricky ones were ensuring I wasn't putting holes through a vinyl fence. I'd say the vast majority were shot with my .223 but I had a few knocking on 500 yards and cheated a little by bringing out my 1000 yard bench gun in 6XC. On one of those days, I had two dumb one's line up around 280 yards and man you should have seen the mist fly when I touched the trigger off. Gotta say that's the first 2 w/ one shot I've made on ground hogs here in PA.

As you can see, this farm was definitely "gentleman" hunting as I didn't have to lay in the fields like normal ground hog hunting. 300 yards wide and 500 deep.. I'd get anywhere between 2-5 in an hour a night. This spot is also where I do a lot of ladder testing. Sure have to love friendly neighbors!

Sorry for the graphic nature of the pics but thought that was definitely something that needed shared!

It's going be a few more months before Phil decides to peak his head out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pacificman

pacificman

Beautiful ranch ...good shooting. I think a person could get spoiled shooting there...:D

3. Petey

Yeah it's definitely a nice place to sit and shoot and not break a sweat. And the whole archery deal worked out great too, seeing as I shot the biggest buck on my radar on a few weeks in.

JRS likes this.
  4. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

Congrats on your double. :D

I have doubled on Prairie Dogs, but that is a lot easier, since they tend to stand around in groups.

5. misfire

misfire

Great shot . I've been chasing those little buggers for a long time haven't managed to get a double yet.

6. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

On a 4 degree day THAT is what I needed to see!!! WOW, great looking farm, and great shooting. Can we be friends??;):)

7. Nomad47

Nomad47

Altogether, I have 3 two-fers. Two of the two-fers were on groundhog pups, and the other was on raccoons.

8. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

Nice set up for sure... How much fence repair will you think you need when you shoot over the top of that horse?
    I bet there's a hot tub on that deck too.
    Your a lucky man to be hunting that place..

9. Petey

Believe it or not, those horses don’t mind the gun fire at all! You should see all the deer that pile out in the field during the summer days too. Sure makes pre-scouting easy.

It is fun to have a field that’s like playing whack-a-mole every night.

AND that fence sure makes for a pretty picture! My boy’s longbeard

[​IMG]

1BAD284 and IdahoSharpshooter like this.
  10. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Reads like you got it all right at home.

Nice.

11. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Even better, someone else pays the taxes!!!!

12. tmx199

tmx199

Very nice! I just got my 6xc set up for pa groundhogs what bullet are you shooting for that shot?

13. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like some pretty tuff hunting.......:)

14. people

people

Nice. I always like those shots. lol reminds me of this saying "Oh No! Don't bunch up."

15. Petey

Tmx199 .. not a bullet I’d recommend for groundhogs at all actually. That was a 107 SMK but I think the carnage was because the bullet went through the first one’s head. Like I said, just brought that gun due to a couple ones that was a bit too much for my .223 setup and I had actually just came from a match and had a few rounds left over. Really don’t want to start a debate over the ethics of using a match bullet but I’m well aware of what I was shooting in to and what’s beyond. I happen to agree 100% that you don’t use them. You can see from the head shot one, that’s all the bullet does.

Bobbyboy6br likes this.
  16. 1BAD284

1BAD284

I thought that gun looked familiar! Was that one of them special magic bullets you were using? if it was you need to shoot two with one shot since they are expensive.;)

17. Petey

Super secret bullets! .... they hit what your aiming at, no matter what the distance... don’t let the word get out or I may have competition ;)

18. tmx199

tmx199

Petey. Thanks! Im loading 105gr Berger vld hunting i might try 87gr vmax for shooting under 400yd i have a 22BR. Nuce looking rifle!

19. Bobbyboy6br

Bobbyboy6br Silver $$ Contributor

Beautiful picture looks like a groundhog shooters paradise congrats on the one shot 2 kills

20. Nomad47

Nomad47

One of the farms where I hunt groundhogs is a standard bred (trotters and pacers) breeding farm. When I first asked permission, the owner refused. He said the foals went crazy with gunfire. I pointed out that I shot with a suppressor. He reluctantly agreed to let me hunt a back field where there were no horses. After shooting a 'hog in the back 40, I stopped to let him know. He said he never heard the shot. So he agreed to see how the foals reacted when I set up in between the paddocks. After a shot, the foals, mares and stallions would trot a few yards, but settle right back down - no running into fences, etc.
    Without the suppressor, that farm would have been off limits.

By the way, that farm is an absolutely beautiful place with a dozen or so paddocks - everything always neatly mowed and trimmed.