1st ELR rifle, which caliber

Discussion in 'Practical Precision--PRS, NRL, ELR' started by Jefferson, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Funny Time ! 105 Recoilless Rifle and a Bee Hive Round = Stew Meat

2. billshehane

billshehane Gold $$ Contributor

There is NOTHING budget about feeding a true ELR rifle. I'd pick another game.

3. Jefferson

Jefferson

RQUOTE="billshehane, post: 37448998, member: 539052"]There is NOTHING budget about feeding a true ELR rifle. I'd pick another game.[/QUOTE]

by budget I mean not the latest and greatest,
    perhaps a 300 win mag shooting the 215 bergers or so?? inquring minds want to know,

do not want to get bill shehane to build me a great new rifle for 10grand when a new barrel in a caliber that works OK, and brass bullets and away we go,

so if one was to spin a barrel on which caliber works on say a BAT MB, macmillan f-class stock

perhaps now BIll you can offer some help to a person wanting to join your majical new ELR fraturnity?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  4. billshehane

billshehane Gold $$ Contributor

Just trying to save you money and heart ache-- use the 300 Win. mag. on your BAT MB with 210 or 215 Berger's and shoot 1000yd. BR & F Class and have some fun. Nothing magical about any of this but One has to see his bullets hit at ELR Range and that is when things get expensive with ammo and equipment.
    Help is what I am trying to offer.

5. Jefferson

Jefferson

and I thank u for that

6. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

Nevada you have the place to shoot...elr 300 win mag 2200 it will go but but but it's a new game it will take years and money to get the groups down to 1000yd standards

7. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

8. Esoteric Junkie

Esoteric Junkie

NEVER use the word budget in conjunction with ELR! Move on from that thought process. Get a 416 Barrett or 460 Steyr. The factory Steyr HS-460 shoots very well. Thunder Ammo has brass and bullets for the 460 as well as loaded ammo. Either of these two will be a good combination.
    EJ

9. dougridgeore

dougridgeore

I just built a very expensive 2 inch action 38 pound 375 cheytac that when shooting at one mile has yet to prove to me to shoot any better than my $999 dollar 338 lapua, savage 112 that I rebarreld with a 1.350” Krieger that I bought from Bruno’s for I think less than 400 dollars another 200 for a reamer from Dave (PTG) and to start with you can even stay with the factory trigger also you need to spend about 120 bucks on a steel night force 20 MOA base with 8-40 screws? And then I bought a 16 power fixed mark 4 with 140 min of elevation travel that I bought for 650 dollars off this site also bought Burris Zee rings for 70 bucks (another 20 MOA) let’s not forget Terminator muzzle brake 200 for a total cost of $2640 dollars and it has shot as good at a mile as several gun/scope combos that I have built that cost four times (or more?) as much......probably don’t look as cool sitting in your safe but if you want to bust a rock at a mile works pretty good

DirtySteve and centerlineseal like this.
  10. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Too many people are trying to shoot the turned solids with the wrong twists and throats. Maybe just a bad barrel. I know a bunch of guys shooting that 375 Cheytac and some of them are really shooting out to 2800 yards or more. It took them awhile to figure out twists and throats but they have them working now. The MOA trajectory to 1000 from a 100 yard zero, is way less then half of most other guns. Matt

simo hayha and Geno C like this.
  11. Geno C

Geno C

And there is a bit of a difference from a mile to 2200 yards. Even a mile to 2000 is a very noticeable difference when shooting a round that is less capable than another.

My 300wsm will hit at 2000 ok.
    My 375 Snipetac will out shoot in in everything but calm conditions

moondog likes this.