1k tune at 100

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by One Shot One Thrill, Sep 12, 2018.

1. One Shot One Thrill

One Shot One Thrill Gold $$ Contributor

Here is a different look at 1k loads at 100 yards. If you would of ask me a year ago if 100yd loads work at 1k I would of said not and I will always say it is best to tune for the specific yardage you intend to compete. That said I have been helping several PRS shooters with their load development. I have developed a system that requires only 10 shots to determine the best powder and load for competitions. Once we are satisfied with the load at 1k and that is consistent 3" -3shot groups we check it at various ranges. We are finding that their riles are shooting small 1 hole groups at 100 yd.
    Has anyone else experienced same results?

2. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

More info please, my next comp is 1k.

pirate ammo and raptor1ronin like this.
  3. alinwa

alinwa

I THINK what you just said is...... you can get someone's (anyone's? several peoples') "PRS" rifle down to 1/3moa at 1000yds with only ten shots.....

That said, how in this physical universe could said rifle NOT shoot a bughole at 100yds?

just askin'

nmkid and damoncali like this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Leave us hanging in suspense?

Tim G likes this.
  5. Comrade Terry

Comrade Terry Gold $$ Contributor

6. One Shot One Thrill

That is not entirely correct. In 10 shots I can determine if a particular bullet and powder are working in a pitcular barrel. All the rifles I've worked with have a known round count and are of great quality. Once I've decided what combination works the best I tweak the seating depth to obtain optimum group size.
    Every rifle that I've worked with current count 12 have left the range shooting 3"or less. Time spent for the shooter 1 day total round count usually 50 -60.
    The shooters have competed in PRS events all over and the loads held up through varying conditions.

7. One Shot One Thrill

I tune mostly at 1k for bench rest competition seeking the smallest groups possible and many times I have shot the extra rounds at 100yds and they did not shoot 1 hole. I've turned at 100 yards and tried use that tune for 1k and it didn't work for me.

8. Coleridge

Coleridge

Are you saying your getting CONSISTENT 3" groups at 1000 yards from all 12 different rifles you have tinkered with?

9. One Shot One Thrill

Yes
    And the best thing they are being shot by their owners.

10. kelbro

kelbro Silver $$ Contributor

Wow. That's incredible.

One Shot One Thrill and nmkid like this.
  11. bill123

bill123

Any chance you'd share your method?

12. One Shot One Thrill

Bear in mind these are the three shot groups shot in good conditions. Calibes shot so far.
    6xc, 6bra, 6 dasher, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 300wsm. The load is repeates at least 3 times same day. I find the largest window so load will hold up under condition change. Naturally if there is a dramatic change in the condition the load can come out of tune.

13. Ccrider

Ccrider Silver $$ Contributor

Not clear what you are saying. 12 different shooters/rifles in a row that shoot in the zeros at 100 yards. I am definitely doing a whole lots wrong.

ChrisNZ, Clancy, milanuk and 4 others like this.
  14. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

15. bsekf

bsekf

NO

It stands to reason that a combination that shoots 3 inch groups at 1000 will shoot tiny groups at 100 or 200 or 300.

So, you get to a 3 inch group in 10 shots. So with 10 powder-bullet-seating depth combinations you come up with a load that shoots 3 inches at 1000 yds? Please share your secret.

Bill

16. One Shot One Thrill

This is a service I am currently offering for a fee but I will share the basics. Over the course of years of quick load and actual range time I have charts that I use for my reference.
    I start with a rifle that is broken in and should have 150 to 200 rounds on it. This should be past any substantial barrel speed up. I decide what powder and bullet I'm going to use. I load 10 charges varying anywhere from .2 to .5 gn depends on case size. I look for the largest window at a competitive velocity if what I see doesn't fit my parameters I move on another powder or bullet. When shooting I'm capturing MV and TV based on my dope is weither I proceed with the combination.
    Shooter must have an open mind just as you can lead a hourse to water but can't make him drink you can't force feed your rifle. It will shoot what it wants as a shooter its your task to identify that.

17. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I mean this in the most polite way I can say it, but you're lying to yourself. It is not possible to do what you want with 10 shots.

18. One Shot One Thrill

Sir I give you an open invitation to come to my range with your rifle and I will show you. I will need to inspect your rifle and brass if all is well I will show you. It is possible after shooting 10 shots with your powder and bullet combo that it does not fall within the parameters and one component or another would need to change. So yes it can take more than 10 shots and once bullet and powder is selected I move on to the seating depth. I have accomplished the stated results with every rifle brought to me thus far same day. Honestly you can expect to shoot 50 or more shots
    The fee is 250.00 dollars.
    If your rifle does not shoot 3 round groups in the 3" or less you owe me nothing.

19. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Where are you located?

20. One Shot One Thrill

No not saying that. All shooters have not shot at 100 yards and I have not measured the 100 yard groups. The PRS shooters that have rechecked their zero after shooting the small groups at a thousand have all shot a ragged hole at 100 yards.