1936 Mex Mauser

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by jpretle, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jpretle

jpretle Site $$ Contributor

Anyone know how much pressure one of these will take. I am thinking they won't handle top loads from a 7Mauser, 243Win, 7-08, etc.
    Had one of these on the back burner, in a box for the last 15 years, and it is time I did something w/ it. Whether that means bbl it or sell it.

2. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Site $$ Contributor

Is it a 1898 action or one of the 1895's.If it is a 98 then you can use it for almost any modern cartidge today.I would have a gunsmith look at it to make sure it doesnt have any defects.

3. huffmanite

huffmanite

If it is indeed a M1936 Mexican mauser, was originally chambered in 7x57. Easy to tell a M1936, simply by its 1903 Springfield type knob on rear of bolt. It is kinda of an oddball action, being a small ring with large ring 98 design features. It can certainly handle the 7x57 loads, but not sure of its pressure limits. Do know the M1936 mexican action was widely used by gunsmiths for custom mauser rifles years ago. Matter of fact, bought two M1936 actions a couple of years ago from a somewhat elderly gunsmith who decided to sell his private stock of mauser actions.

4. jpretle

There is no question, it is a 1936 Mexican Mauser. My specific question is; Will it handle top loads from the above mentioned cartridges? 7Mauser, 243 Win, 7-08, etc.

5. Larryh128

Larryh128 Site $$ Contributor

Yes, it will. My personal one is a 284 & I drive it hot. Have another one in the wings for a 6.5x47. It's a 3 lug action on the 98 design made on FN set up tooling. If you decide that you don't want it, give me a pm. I can round up a commercial 98 if you want to consider a swap.

6. jpretle

What bullets are you running, Larry??? Some of the heavier ones must be taking up powder space.

7. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I shoot 160s in my little Mexican.

[​IMG]

8. jpretle

Butch, what a great looking piece!!! WOW!!! Looks perfectly proportioned.
    Are you running those 160's toward the top end??? And do they intrude on the powder space?
    Thanks for posting the pic.

9. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

If you use the right gunsmith, they know how to maximize the magazine box. I am not a speed demon, so I am ok. I just want it to be an accurate hunting rifle. If I am after speed, I would do something else.

10. DHD

DHD Site $$ Contributor

Man, I wish you would quit posting pictures of that rifle. Makes me want to have one made. Just joking about the pics. It is truly a beautiful piece of art. Art you do something with, no less. Didn't you post others you have made?

Sorry about the hijack.

11. SBS

SBS Site $$ Contributor

As you may know, Mexico bought their rifles in smaller contracts, probably not having the money for larger ones like Brazil, Venezuela and Argentina. The 1936 you have should be the small ring made in Mexico and these are all CM steel, according to sources I have read. The early ones did not have the Springfield style cocking knob, which came later. I have 2 rifles built on them; a 6mm Rem. and a .257 Ack., both of which I have throated out long to take advantage of the 7mm mag. box and move the bullet out in the neck. I push both of them to modern pressures and have no problems. Wish I had another to build a 6.5x55 on.

12. jpretle

Thanks, to all for sharing information. I can now make a better informed decision.
    Butch,------ good thing I can't put my hands on that rifle. I am already drooling.
    Man, what a piece!!!!