17 mach iv

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by maddysdad, Nov 15, 2018.

1. maddysdad

maddysdad

remington came out with this.how is it different from the wildcat case?
    also i saw that tod from ohio that is editor of the small cal news made som e great kills.it is said that the bullets at the longer ranges have less then 400 fp of energy.that being said the bullets go in and do not come out,dumping the energy in the groundhogs.what given a well set up rifle do you as hog hunters consider the max range for this round useing the 25 to 30 grain bullets?
    gary

2. germanlongbow

germanlongbow Scott M Bainbridge

Remington came out with 17 Fireball about 10 + years ago. The Mach IV is a wildcat off the 221 fireball case. I built mine back in 2006. At 400 yards on prairie dogs the 20 gr bullets are still intact, compared to 50 yards where the critter is in several small pieces. Extremely explosive on small critters not sure how even the heavier bullets would fair on hogs. The 17 Remington has taken a lot of coyotes in its lifetime moving a bit faster than the Mach IV. Should be good on hogs out to 200+ with good shot placement. Either way would be fun to experiment. Good luck.

3. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

300 yards with the 25 grain V-Max at 3975 fps with my Fireball is a practical limit on woodchucks. I save the 20's for the Ackley Hornet and Bee. Wind is not your freind with the .17's but their fragility in urban enviroments is..

snert, msinc and hogpatrol like this.
  4. varmintshooter

varmintshooter Silver $$ Contributor

I have a 17 fb, same as 17 IV, and have shot 20 & 25 vmax 25 and 30 hp's. I started off with 20 vmax and killed ghogs out to 300 yds or so but I had some crawlers. Same with 25 and 30 gr bullets. I killed several fox, out to 275-300 yds, with the 20 gr vmax but it just didn't work as well as I had hoped for. It was accurate with the 20's with my best 3 shot group @ 300 yds I could cover with dime. Mine never did shoot the 30 golds all that good so I stuck with the lighter bullets and may be why I never got quick kills I hoped for. I still think it's a neat cartridge but would do a 17 Rem next time.

5. thekriebles

thekriebles Silver $$ Contributor

The 17 Mach IV has a 1.4320" case length. Its case is slightly longer and narrower at bottom than the 17 Fireball: 1.4320" vs. 1.420" & .3750" vs. .3769" at the case head. Overall body length is slightly longer in the Mach IV as well at 1.0646" vs. 1.0596", and a slightly longer neck for the Mach IV at .2267" vs. .2220" for the Fireball.

swd likes this.
  6. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

With the .17FB, I've shot groundhogs out to 400 but the shot has to be either in the head or chest. I use 29 and 30 gr. Kindler Golds. Don't know about coyotes but they're hell on blue ball monkeys. :D

Attached Files:

JLT, snert, fredo and 2 others like this.
  7. johnmyers

johnmyers Gold $$ Contributor

30gr Kindler Golds out of mine are really hard on coyotes

MrMajestic, fredo and hogpatrol like this.
  8. fredo

fredo

Imho, the 'gold' standard of .172 coyote killer boolits!

MrMajestic and hogpatrol like this.
  9. ChrisA

ChrisA Silver $$ Contributor

I've had very good results on coyotes with the now discontinued Berger 25gr Match in the 17M4. Longest shot was 311 yards. All but one have been bang flop, the one runner was my fault as I shot too far back. Not a huge sample size but over 20.

MrMajestic and hogpatrol like this.
  10. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

The 20 gr vmax is not a good Red fox bullet, tried it when the bullet came on the market. Went back to the Berger 25 gr VARMINT best Red fox bullet for fur saving. Shot hundreds with that bullet, I shoot a 17 rem, so not sure if the extra velocity is part of the bullet working properly. I shoot them at 3900+. Could only get 3500@ muzzle with the 30 gr, that did not expand well on coyote. Rebarreled the rifle can now reach 3950 easy with the 29 gr WCD bullets,that lets the starch out of coyote quick.

varmintshooter and hogpatrol like this.