17 Lb Rifle Build Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by critter_bill, Feb 10, 2018.

1. critter_bill

critter_bill Rabid Rifleman Silver $$ Contributor

I have shot short range 10.5 and 13.5 lb 6PPC rifles for 30 years but I am having Ronnie Long stock a barreled action for me and need some advice on stock weight and balance for a 600 yard gun build. I'm getting some miles on me now and try to consider resale when doing a build so I want it legal for 17 lb 600/1000 competition.

My component weights on the shipping scales are:

BAT DS action and 28" lg HV barrel, actions screws, BAT T/G, Jewell 1.5 oz trigger 9.9 lbs

Badger Ordnance Tall Rings (will go aluminum later) .63 lbs

NF Competition Scope 1.8 lbs

That only allows some 4.67 lbs for a pillar bedded Shehane Tracker BR stock. I don't compete but do want to build a viable rifle for the next owner after I'm toes up (or rifle ADD kicks in) so does this sound too light for the stock weight? If so, where would you cut weight for best balance and tracking?

Thanks for your advice.

Bill

2. sdean

sdean Silver $$ Contributor

You are in the right ballpark.

critter_bill likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

You can save 5lb by ditching those rings- not literally but they are waaaay too heavy for a rifle with a weight limit. Ronnie knows what hes doing- what did he say?

critter_bill likes this.
  4. critter_bill

critter_bill Rabid Rifleman Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I've had a number of tactical builds done with weights around 15 to 16 pounds (including the bulky BO rings) but this is my first light gun 600 yard gun build.

Dusty, no doubt that Ronnie Long knows what he is doing. This is his first work for me but he has long been "Mr. 30BR" and has built two hammer 6BR rifles for my buddy on Tracker stocks. I am driving the components down to him on Thursday but want to do my homework before hand. What lightweight rings do you recommend for BAT picatinny rails? I've always used Kelbly on my short range rifles but will be running a 20moa picatinny rail on this rifle.

Mainly what I want to avoid is a front heavy rifle. I know the LR guys like longer barrels so I don't know how they avoid the rifles being very front heavy. This build is replacing a beautiful Dwight Scott/Scoville BAT 10.5 rifle that I could never get used to. I've used Dwight Scott since early 90s and he also knows what he's doing but the suggested Scoville, although beautiful, just didn't suit me. The stock was so light that even with a 22" LV barrel taper, it felt very front heavy to me and I just couldn't seem to get it to track well.

Most shooters don't have a clue what their glue-in stock weighs and trust their smith to make weight. I was hoping that, with the screw-ins used on LR rifles, that someone could verify that I was in the ballpark.

Thanks, sdean and Dusty, for your comments and suggestions.

Happy shooting,

Bill

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

I have an early ronnie long built 30br that holds a record in nbrsa. He is a fine gunsmith.

critter_bill likes this.