155 Lapua Senars question- Reporting Back!

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by SPJ, Dec 29, 2018.

1. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Gents
    I'm interested in load data y'all might share.
    Purpose- mid range target

Rifle- Tikka
    Twist 1-11
    Barrel-22"
    Freebore- huge
    Bullets-155 Lapua Senars
    Powder- ? RL-15 I have on hand
    Brass-? Nosler I have on hand
    SRP- ?
    LRP- ?
    All responses are appreciated and thank you in advance
    SPJ

2. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett

I'm interested in the responses, I never had much luck with the bullets.

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry but never used RL-15 but had good success with Varget at 2950 fps from a 24" barrel. I used it at 1000 and it preformed well. I hope this helps someone.

dc.fireman, Jarhead6870 and SPJ like this.
  4. tomswede

tomswede

I have used R15 and 155 Scenars in my Palma rifle (30 in barrel) and it has worked well up to 1000 yards. Don’t have the load in front of me. Winchester and Lapua brass all LR.

DirtySteve and SPJ like this.
  5. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I'm wondering if the Senar L have a longer bearing surface.

6. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

2950 is moving right along, how was the felt recoil?

7. Rtheurer

Rtheurer

Work up to 46.5gr of Varget in a Lapua Large or Small primer case. Seat them as long as you can.
    I have had Great success with this Bullet.

SPJ likes this.
  8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Recoil felt sharper than my 175's at 2650fps. But nothing that kept me from shooting them. It was just a noticeably different recoil impulse. Supply concerns kept me from shooting them more..

gmorris likes this.
  9. mr.big

mr.big

2950+ fps and very good accuracy with 8208,,

jfoot, mr45man and SPJ like this.
  10. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I'm certainly not married to RL-15 I had it on hand from a A max recipe that actually shot well.
    I didn't care for the recoil though , Varget is always a good choice but I like to save that for the 6 br

H4895 I've heard runs real good also.

11. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

The "L" version has the same (very long) dimensions as the original Scenar. Just run at a slower machinery pace so as to maximize the bullets concentricity. At the suggestion of Trevor Hengehold I am running them with 44gr. H4895 at 2970 fps or 2980 fps with 46.5gr. Varget (with much powder crunching). They definitely need 12"-11" twist as they are as long as a Sierra 180 Matchking. Ran them side by side with Berger Fullbores and the Lapua's had slightly less vertical (that day at least).

Zero333 and SPJ like this.
  12. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds like I'm on the right track..:)
    Thank you Gentleman you have been most helpful!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    JBT and DirtySteve like this.
  13. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Gents
    A very generous member sent me a box of 155 Senars ( thanks John) wow" these puppies are long, set on the lands I have a OAL of 2.9.. and change
    CBTO 2.282
    I picked up a jug of H4895 so now I'm looking forward to running a ladder test.
    More to Follow "
    J

bpd459 likes this.
  14. 10at6

10at6 Silver $$ Contributor

Off topic. It's a hell of an elk bullet, if that helps. They are long because they have a big hollow cavity up front.

15. mr.big

mr.big

I think Lapua uses the same jackets for the 155s as the 185s just with less lead to make 155 weight

16. kevin nevius

kevin nevius

SPJ:

I have used a bunch of the 155 Scenar's and Scenar L's - they are great bullets!

Please work up to these loads (they are warm) - I like 47.0 grains of N140 in the small primer (Palma) Lapua brass, and Fed 205m's. I typically throat my barrels .100" just to keep the bullet base out of the case body with these bullets, but N140 has small granules and probably wouldn't cause an issue crushing it especially with a short drop tube. Many I know shoot the Scenar's in standard fullbore chambers just seated deep.

If I use standard (large primer) brass, I use 46.0 N140 to get approx. the same velocities. The small primer Palma brass seems to handle the pressures better, and has performed really well for me.

The Scenar L's are also great bullets, and yes, both the Scenar's and L's have a longer bearing surface than most common Palma 155's. I think that bullets with longer bearing surfaces are far more tolerant of erosion (just an opinion), and continue to shoot well as round counts rise.

The BC of the Scenar's (based solely on my zero's) must be slightly higher than the L's by about .75 minutes, but both hold exceptional elevation when well tuned. The L is pointed, and does not follow the standard Scenar nose geometry (you will find the seating depths vary a little because of it, using the same jump distances). I typically jump them both .030", at least in initial load development.

N150 is also a good choice, I know Kent Reeve used it for many years (he may still use it). It's a little slow, it would be hard to get yourself in trouble with it! You could probably fill the case and just strike off the top! It utilizes larger granules, so case capacity and bullet seating depth become greater issues than pressure. I was using 47.0 N140 during the 2015 Palma tryouts and getting approx. 2900fps from a 34" barrel (using a long drop tube!).

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the very best in 2019!

kev

barefooter56, dc.fireman, JBT and 4 others like this.
  17. Laurie

Laurie

Your N140 load is pretty close to the longtime UK standard for our sling shooters ('Target Rifle'), although I've seen people get up to 47gn or even 47.5gn in large primer Lapua brass under the Scenar. (That's despite the short freebores these rifles are usually built with using either the 'Bisley 150' or 'Palma 95' chamber. Mind you, some of these guys and girls get so many rounds through a barrel before a change they likely end up with some really serious unintentional 'freebore'.) I'm not sure what handloading club shooters use these days, but the Scenar + N140 was the clear favourite some years back no doubt assisted by both availability and price being much better than those of competitors imported from the US. As serious TR competitors here shoot organiser issued GGG Match ammo loaded with the original (2155) Sierra MK in many major fixtures, there isn't the incentive to chase the last 0.001 fraction of BC in whatever bullet you handload for club matches either - in fact, some I know have reverted to the old SMK so their handloads duplicate the ballistics of the GB NRA sourced cartridges.

I personally have preferred N150 over the years with various 155s for distances up to 800 yards accepting a 50-100 fps MV loss as I've invariably found the precision better. (It puzzles me when I read of US FTR shooters choosing N140 for 185 and 200gn Bergers!) However, I was with an old friend, a longtime and still current member of the GB FTR squad in a 100yd testing session a year or two back and he invited me to look at his 155.5 Berger / N150 MVs from small primer 'Palma' brass which he was somehow pushing to well over 3,100 fps from 30-inches of barrel. Like you I wouldn't have thought it possible to reach these MVs / pressures with this powder but obviously you can! This was his wife's FTR rifle and this combination had been found to give the best precision + MV mix of the many, many powders he'd tried in it. In his own FTR rifle it wouldn't group at all well he told me.

barefooter56 and SPJ like this.
  18. kevin nevius

kevin nevius

Oh, and before I forget........

I have used them in a 13 twist Krieger's with great results out to 1000 without stabilization issues.

Right now, the Benchmarks I am using are 12.4 twist, and they have been great too!

For what it's worth...........

kev

SPJ likes this.
  19. MattS

MattS Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve had great luck with RL15 and 155gr Scenars.

2830fps from 22” Rock Creek 11.25 twist

45grs RL15
    Lapua LR brass
    GM210M
    2.830” coal with light Meplat trimming

Attached Files:

SPJ likes this.
  20. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Gents
    I'm reporting back with some test results.
    155 Senars
    H4895
    CCI primers
    Ladder 43.6- 44.4
    Seating.005 of lands
    Distance 100
    Wind 1/2 v 4 mph L-R
    IMG_0950.JPG
    I chose to start seating at 44.0