110 SMK initial trial

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by birdog, Sep 10, 2017.

1. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

I finally got around to trying a box of 110 SMK's this weekend. I put a well worn 7 twist Brux on my Viper SS and loaded ten rounds Friday and headed to the DOME. This barrel had not been shot in 3 years. Maybe it needed to be fouled but the first three shots at 100 I said I'm glad I only bought one box. But the barrel was clean and needed to be carboned up a little. Next 3 shot group was half size of the first but I was still far from being happy with the grouping. I had 4 more rounds so I dialed in the scope and the first two shots were respectable with the second shot hitting the 1/4 inch orange bull. Three of those shots cut each other. Now I am thinking these 110's warrant a little long range test.

First 10 shots at 100. As clean barrel fouled group shrunk

[​IMG]

Sunday I set up my reloading tools on my shooting bench and loaded 5 at a time and shot at 800 yds. First group was a little big so I bumped up 4 clicks on the Harrells powder thrower. I also increased OAL 0.005 inch. This group looked better forming a nice round group at 800 yards. I then backed back down 0.005 " on the OAL. Next five I shot into the I-Beam and four of the five had the same waterline inside 4 inches but one shot did go high.

Shots 1, 2, 4, 5 on I-beam at 800 yds

[​IMG]

I loaded five more and this time I took a sighter which was right on. I went on the egg and scrambled it. A few minutes later I took out a second egg at 800.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Viper SS, Robertson stock, Brux 1.250 straight, 7 twist, March 10-60
    Junebug and Shayne looking on.
    [​IMG]

Reloading on the bench
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    oakfig, post-1, dmoran and 1 other person like this.
  2. g.ross

g.ross

Bdog ,
    What cartridge , primer , powder etc.
    Great shooting and one hell of a set up and rig!!!
    Thanks GW

3. birdog

Dasher, CCI Magnum 450's, Norma 203-B, Lapua brass. I shot a click on harrells thrower less powder than my 105 Hybrid load. Haven't weight it yet, probably 33.4 gr.
    My barrel is throated long. I think I settled on 2.550" oal.

4. 17VLD

17VLD

I bought a bunch of Lapua brass from Powder Valley and threw in an order for 5 100 round boxes because they were out of the 500 count packs of the 110s,well guess what they only had 1 package of the 110s left,will try them soon.Great shooting Randy.
    Matt

5. cmillard

cmillard

6. Gabe22BR

Gabe22BR Gold $$ Contributor

I like them, in the 6BRAI. I shot them in the last 3 matches.

I'll take'm if your not happy with them... :D

7. birdog

I am pretty happy so far. Next time I will ck at 1430 yds.

kneedtospeed and Gabe22BR like this.
  8. Clancy

Clancy

Very cool, and quick LD.

What causes that ring below the neck shoulder jct? The old shoulder?

9. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

Yes.

10. birdog

The next trip to the DOME I scrambled another egg on the 4th shot at 800 yds. Tim Hewitt and Desiree Steva
    were spotting through their scopes.
    Sunday I went to the DOME to try them at 1400 yds but cows interfered. Here is what happened.
    Junebug showed off.

Junebug and I were going to shoot 1400 this afternoon. Junebug was testing his new 338 Improved and I was checking the new 110 SMK at elr. We got set up and one of JR's damn cows walked directly in front of the 18 inch plate. Bug said how bout 1000 and it was clear. I dialed up 23 moa and first shot on a sun baked, white cow patty was inches short, Windsge perfect. About five shots and the 110 smk took out a corner of the patty.
    I told Bug to try my rifle. He touched the first shot off and the cow patty disappeared.
    Maybe next time out I can try them at 1400.
    Viper SS , Robertson, Brux 1.250 no taper, 7 twist , march 10-60
    [​IMG]

11. birdog