108 Berger seating depth

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by urbanrifleman, Jun 12, 2018.

1. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

What is the consensus as far as the best seating depth for the 108 BErger? I have been jumping them .020".

2. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

they seem very jump tolerant. i end up at .010" to .015" off the lands.

3. Mudcat

Mudcat Silver $$ Contributor

I start mine about 10 thous off and then never worry about it until I wear out the bbl. They just dont seem to care much about seating depth. My fav 6mm bullet for that very reason

4. barefooter56

barefooter56

The best bullet seating depth is the one that makes YOUR RIFLE shoot at its most accurate. With these Tangent ogive bullets I suggest that you start ON THE LANDS. Then WORK BACK INTO THE CARTIDGE CASE IN .005 INCREMENTS. As was stated in another post. These bullets are very tolerant of jump and easy to tune. Information on the effects of bullet seating depth can be found here: http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/COAL.pdf . Any bullet seating depth testing should be done using the minimum load for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Once the bullet seating depth accuracy node is found. Work the powder charge back up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy until your highest velocity accuracy node is found. HTH!

5. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I have shot them in a 6mmBR and several Dashers. I have recommended them to several people. I have told them that it has been my experience that they like to be 7-8 thousandths INTO the lands. Only 1 barrel did not prefer them there and it liked them 17 thousandths OFF the lands. Every person I recommended them to, after extensive testing, have also found they like them 7-8 into the lands in their rifles..

Jim Esarey and LRPV like this.
  6. djporter

djporter Silver $$ Contributor

What he said

7. Bob L.

Bob L. Gold $$ Contributor

This is exactly my experience and practice.