1000yd prarie dogs

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by johnmyers, Apr 17, 2010.

1. johnmyers

johnmyers Silver $$ Contributor

Anyone using 6br for 1000yd prarie dogs with good results. I have done it with 243 and 22-250 with VLD bullets with more velocity than a 6br. I've set back the 22-250 to a 22br (8 twist) and love it with the heavy bullets and was thinking about selling 243 which is a Mauser switch barrell with a 22-250 and 243ai bbls since I have a 6br being done as soon as bbl comes. Thanks for any feedback.

2. petierney

petierney

Last year I shot a P dog at 1039 yards in South Dakota with a Savage Varminter 12 in 6mm BR cal., 1 in 8 twist.
    Got him (her) on the third shot. The glass was a NightForce 8 x 32. Bullet - 87gr. Vmax ahead of Varget in Lapua case. Just my observation or feeling is that 11 or 1200 yards was going to
    be this setups limit. The 6 BR wins a lot at our club shoots (600 yards).

Pat

3. jerrschmitt

jerrschmitt

I've had my long range 6BR for just a week now. It's a trued 700 Remington with a Lilja 26" 8 twist barrel, Jewel trigger and a 6.5-20 Leupold scope. So far I have only been shooting at 200 yards but it looks like it will be a keeper. I'm working up loads using 105 AMAX and 107 Sierra Match kings. I tried the new Nosler Custom Competition 105's but couldn't get them to shoot consistently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. johnmyers

pretty rifle and so is your group

5. cliffy

cliffy

So Glad the PDog allowed you three tries. I hope you re-adjusted your scope via the allowance of the stupidity of a PDog. Deer seldom permit anything regarding retries afield. A thousand yard Pdogs don't re-present often, but they are notably stupid critters. I prefer deadly accuracy at 200 yards, then extending that accuracy further downrange. What bullet and load did you extend to 1000 yards? I think 62 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades in .243 Winchester personifies the maximum human/rifle relationship out to 500 yards, with luck helping the equation. Since I've actually hit the bullsye at 300 yards with such hyper-velocity loads, I want to learn how you managed to more than double my sure-kill range. SINCERELY, Cliffy

6. johnmyers

Cliffy

There are alot of us shooting 1000yd pd's but we're not using varmint bullets as a rule. It takes an accurate rifle with a high bc bullet and quite a bit of skill. I've done it at 1175yds with a 243 and 95SMK's. You compare pd's with deer but they are only overgrown rats. You shouldn't knock our sport anymore than we should speak negative about what you enjoy.

John Myers

7. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

Cliffy,

I don't know why you seem to feel the need to step on toes all the time. Just because some of us do things that you do not do or understand. I've been able to put 10 shots into 6" in less than 50 sec. at 1000yds and there are alot of guys faster and better than I am. Our equipment is built to do just that. I also go out west each year with some of the same equipment and have pd kills out to 2200yds. and we are going for the worlds record of over 3150. Last year we were very close to 3400 yds (3520yds=2 MILES). At these distances there are no 1st shot hits. Just incase anyone was wondering I have never even considerd a deer shot beyond 350 yds.

8. johnmyers

jghoghunter

I agree with you 100%. People like Cliffy have no idea the skill and equipment it takes to kill a pd at 1000yds plus. My personal best is 1175 which is not as far as you have done. Knowing how tough it can be at 1000 I can really appreciate the distances you have done. People like Cliffy don't want others critizing what they enjoy so they should do the same.

John Myers

9. Ackman

Ackman

This post is......another masterpiece.

1) Stupid sarcasm. Where do you get this 3-shots-and-they-run-off idea? The pd is a very obliging target. Especially at longer distances. If you actually knew much about this stuff, you'd know.

2) He wasn't shooting at a deer.

3) Are you kidding? Bullet splashes don't ruffle their feathers much. Way out where it can't hear the shot, it'll hang around a long time. You really ought to know this, bein' such an authority and all.

4) Great. Bully for you.

5) Absolutely.....a .243 "personifies" the absolute maximum ultimate utmost. Now are you talking about the 20*, or the 30* version of .243? The one that won't fit an AI chamber? What about 510 yds?

6) That's really good. Double-bully for you.

7) He shoots better than you.

10. JohnWayne

JohnWayne

Carefull guys, cliffy is an expert on praire dog shooting. He got a couple of them in Wyoming with and air rifle.

11. jerrschmitt

jerrschmitt

Try a better bullet if you want to extend that deadly accurate range out past your self imposed limit of 500 yards. That bullet you're shooting can't have a BC of more than .275 so it's running out of steam pretty quickly. Rebarrel that tomato stake with an 8 twist and shoot some VLD or SMK bullets and see what a good .243 can do.

If the .243 Winchester personifies the maximum human/rifle relationship out to 500 yards, Why aren't the top bench rest and F class shooter using it?

12. jghoghunter

Where is Old Cliffy today???!!!!!!

13. deadlyswift

deadlyswift

Pat, congrats on the 1039yrd kill. I am also seeking to join the 1000yrd confrimed kill culb. I wouldn't think that the 6br would have what it takes to kill at 1000, but I guess you have proved it can be done with the amazing little short fat case! My 6br will be done probably late may early june. So hoping I can load it and 3 more rifle and head out west next yr to join everyone on the prarie and shoot a few hundread pds myself! Again congrats on the shot. ;)

14. cliffy

cliffy

Thanks for the correction of my 1000 yard PDog ignorance, since I think this range of "opportunity" represents pure folly and wishful thinking. That some of you actually can accomplish this minor miracle, is no reason to propagate the theory that it is a proper shooting range for the AVERAGE varmint hunter. Admit that you are "well-practiced" and able to take such an extreme shot. Making the average varmint hunter feel inadequate is not right. Be happy and smug in knowing you can perform this feat, but don't make it sound like we of lesser practice can topple a ground squirrel at 1000 yards, or we are inadequate as proper shooters. Cliffy

15. johnmyers

Cliffy

Why don't you use your energy to fight an antigunner instead of fellow shooters?

John

16. jghoghunter

Cliffy,

Again you start out by stepping on toes. You must have rode the short bus in school!!!
    One man, John Myers, ask if ANYONE was using a 6 br to shoot pd at 1k. Then you come back with your lack luster form of ignorance and humor. People stepped up and corrected you once again. Then in your next post you start off by stepping on those toes once again with "Thanks for the correction of my 1000 yard PDog ignorance, since I think this range of "opportunity" represents pure folly and wishful thinking. That some of you actually can accomplish this minor miracle, is no reason to propagate the theory that it is a proper shooting range for the AVERAGE varmint hunter."
    1st. Some of us drive 1000's of miles each year to do just that.
    2nd. Just because YOU think it is "pure folly and wishful thinking" I'm sorry that your not capable of doing it.
    3rd. Where did AVERAGE VARMINT HUNTER come from? John ask a specific question if you don't have any useful info. why don't you keep your mouth shut.
    I would like to apologize to those good members who offered valued info. for John.

17. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

I have to say, BS from Cliffy posts are the reason I no longer spend much time on this site, great is it is. Moderators, this guy is a clown & needs to be removed as a contributor. His posts dilute & trivialize much of the value found here. It was amusing for the 1st 2 years or so. Lose him.

18. johnmyers

CTShooter,
    You hit it on the nose. My problem with Cliffy is that he is always critizing fellow shooters. He should use his energy on the anti gun people.

19. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

No animus, just my observation based on recitation and ad nauseam repetition from a member. This is not a democracy. Act, mods.

20. Cummins_man

Cummins_man

I almost didn't join because of cliffy but the good out weighs the bad. Theirs a lot of good info and nice people to let one guy ruin the fun.