1000 yd Hawks Ridge--- what calibers the top 5 shooting

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by birdog, Sep 2, 2019.

1. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

6 BRAI, Dashers, 284's, 7 SAUM, 30's
    What were the winners shooting??

2. Longrangelefty

Longrangelefty Silver $$ Contributor

2 Gun overall
    1. 6bra
    2. Dasher
    3. Uncertain
    4. 6bra
    5. 6braw

3. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Just not fun to shoot the big calipers. Then those shooters see all the 6mm's do so well at less cost and punishment on the line.

Shows me BR people are smart. They shoot what works best with fewer negatives.

4. birdog

Thank you so much

5. SHall

SHall Silver $$ Contributor

6’s are hard to beat, no doubt, but if you get caught in rough conditions I would 10 to 1 rather have a 300 Short Mag. in HG especially. They will beat you up in LG though. A good example happed this weekend at the 1000 Yard Nationals. There was rough conditions in a HG relay, all but ONE shooter shot from 13-23 inches to completely off paper. I heard several shooter asking how Seth Wooten managed to shoot a 8.1 inch 10 shot group in such conditions. Answer: he is a good shooter and was shooting a 300WSM! I have found they stay in tune better throughout various temp and humidity changes and dont throw the wild vertical shots in head and tail winds and wind let ups will not affect them quit as much. Samuel Hall

6. birdog

Thanks Sam. I have been considering a WSM for a few years. I have a magnum bolt for my still Stiller.
    Congrats to Hunter. He did well

dogdude, jadz and Stan Taylor like this.
  7. SHall

Randy, what really sold me on a 300WSM in HG was when me and Hunter were in a HG shoot-off on benches side by side. He had my best shooting 28 pound 6BRAI. I was shooting my 40 pound 300WSM. We had a bad wind let up after we had started our record target. Hunter finished shooting his 10 shots before I had shot 7 shots. I just knew he had at least beat me. I ended up winning the relay with the 300WSM. You could plainly see the wind did not drift the 30 cal like it did the 6’s. Hunter said he wanted to shoot my 300 the next match. He won the next match with it and I have not gotten it back from him since LOL!! Samuel

8. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

This may not come across well, had more Williamsport shooter's showed you would have had more WSM's on the lines. With what looks like may have been a switchy match by the relay results the WSM's most likely would have faired very well.. I am not saying the 6's don't dominate but if you get into a match that is difficult I would rather be behind a WSM for much of what Same Hall stated.. I say bring both and if conditions look not so good bring the WSM to the bench, they will shoot small also..

Ray

dgeesaman, SHall, dogdude and 3 others like this.
  9. 6BRAIman

6BRAIman Silver $$ Contributor

Johnny Tjioe, Mulligan, SHall and 2 others like this.
  10. Raythemanroe

Bkluke likes this.
  11. TSteelman

TSteelman

I watched Seth shoot that relay, he is a machine. He sent 10 rounds down range in 30 seconds easy. 300wsm bucks the wind well and when paired with a fast shooter it’s a great combination.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    dogdude, Epipkin, Bkluke and 2 others like this.
  12. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

Also an example of why aggregate formats are unfair.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

JasonPeterson and Bkluke like this.
  13. johara1

johara1

Donovan, you are a 100% correct........ That is why they went to the number system at Williamsport..... jim

Bkluke likes this.
  14. Raythemanroe

Points systems are just as unfair by who you shoot against and who you don't in a relay..

Ray

dogdude and mikeeg02 like this.
  15. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

It’s time to let it go guys... nobody wants to hear this argument again and again

16. Ga. Dawg

Ga. Dawg Gold $$ Contributor

AMEN!!! Thank You!

Mike

17. Roy H

Roy H

If life was fair most y'all wouldn't be so ugly

18. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

We need a place with a 120 benches and the someone would think that wasn't fair! Sometimes your the bug sometimes your the windshield get over it. Do you think I'd have been shooting 40 some years if I didn't think I'd get lucky once in a while? Every once and a while I get it done.
    Just love shooting guys

Joe Salt

Dave Way, 1BAD284 and Stan Taylor like this.
  19. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

@birdog Just confirmed that number 3 in the 2 Gun was shooting a 6BRA! So the answer to your question is 4 BRAs 1 Dasher for the Top 5 in the 2GUN.

Bart

birdog, dogdude, Mulligan and 2 others like this.
  20. SHall

The little BR-AI or BRA has come a long way in a short time! Must be something to the little cartridge! It sure impressed me when I first started testing it in early 2015! I started to keep it secret amunst a few select friends but I could not keep my excitement with how well it was shooting too myself! I had to share. Samuel Hall