1000 yard scope?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by muleman69, Jan 5, 2018.

1. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

Great scopes and great reticle. You'll be fine shooting the 300 win. The 308 will easily do the 1000 yards with most scopes and not necessarily with an moa base. They help just to keep the turret adjustment centered and not bottomed out. Always a good idea using a 20-40 moa base regardless of caliber. I have a 20 moa base on my 308 and using 185 bergers can make the 1000 easily with alot of elevation left over. At a mile, I need 85-90 moa. That's when the 40 moa base comes in handy. My leupold has 100 internal minutes so even with a 40 Mao base, I'm barely making that range. Your 300 win is a different story.

muleman69 likes this.
  2. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Silver $$ Contributor

So you are saying I need enough adjustment to try and keep turret close to center as I can? I checked out a Ziess 5x25 yesterday that had around 120 1/4 minute clicks . So have far from bottoming out should a person stay to be safe?

3. muleman69

That was 120 clicks from center

4. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

Or just pony up for an Ivey scope mount and be done with it.

5. boltgunluvr

boltgunluvr

If you're targets are 16-18 inch steel gongs, silhouette targets or similar, I have a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm with the M3 elevation turret (out to 1K yards within one turn) factory custom turrets for 223, 308 & 300 Win Mag and mildot reticle. Awesome optic that doesn't cost $2K and is a fast adjusting optic for real world shooting.

A person purchased the rifle it was mounted on but he just couldn't afford the rifle and the optic. I'm old school. Nothing larger than 40mm objectives and 10x magnification. Just throwing it out there for you. Thx

6. muleman69

Sounds good ,I have a Leupold I'm going to try and if that doesn't work I may take you up on it. THX

7. muleman69

Not familiar with Ivey but will look them up. Thanks

8. muleman69

Leupold is working out so far, 6" group at 775yards today. Was great

9. slm9s

slm9s Gold $$ Contributor

Sightron SIII 8-32
    Burris sig xtr rings
    20 Moa base.
    You can set it up so your bottom of the elevation is just under your 200-yard zero. That way you have almost the entire Scopes elevation travel at your fingertips. This is a poor man's zero stop.

LA50SHOOTER and muleman69 like this.
  10. mr.big

mr.big

I have that same scope with a 20 MOA base and 10 more MOA in the Burris rings it will zero at 100 yards 12-15 clix from the bottom and has right at 70 MOA adjustments on the knob not counting the retical ,,I love the scope for shooting white steel plates,,

I try and set all my scopes up so the 100 yard zero is at least in the first turn on the knob,,so if I get lost I can just bottom it out and come back to 0 and have no doubt I where I am,,

simo hayha, muleman69 and slm9s like this.
  11. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

Very nice adjustable MOA mounts. Price isn't bad either.

muleman69 likes this.
  12. muleman69

This sounds good to me, I shot out to 775yds yesterday and still have 16 clicks in one revolution to go. I will see whats left today, may have to order 20 Moa base

13. long40shot

long40shot Gold $$ Contributor

I really enjoy my Leupold VX3 8.5x25x50. Install a 20moa base and a quality set of picatinny rings and you have a great combo. These scopes appear in the classifieds fairly often and can be had for a great price.

Lone Hunter and dogdude like this.
  14. Flouncer

Flouncer Gold $$ Contributor

All this base stuff is non sense. Keystone light, aluminum can. Finish it. Cut out about a 1-inch square. It's called a shim or a $200 "20MOA Base".

15. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

SWFA super sniper. I'm shooting 3x15 mil quad dm. You should be able to get a 1000 yards off wind shield as I'm told. 36 mils elevation and windage adjustment. Price point $700
    I fell in love with it

South Prairie jim likes this.
  16. ebb

ebb

All of mine that I have shot to 1000 will get there from a 100yd zero in less than 100 clicks. They all have 20 moa bases.

22BRGUY likes this.
  17. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

When you shim the back of a base and tighten the front screws, the base has a bow in it. The rings will not be straight in line with one another. I would not put my expensive scope under a stress like that, just to save a few bucks. Matt

dragman, 22BRGUY, LA50SHOOTER and 3 others like this.
  18. Flouncer

A two-piece base get's a bow in it ? Duck, I was just pointing out that sometimes, sometimes we throw stupid amounts of money at a problem instead of solving it. I doubt, I really really really doubt that the shim I was referring two makes any measurable deflection in a base or a scope. I can have an engineer run some calcs but more wasted time.

19. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Being that I grew up poor on a small dairy farm, I've learned to make due with what I have at hand. Nothing at all wrong with that. I must say though, that life is way too short to drink light beer. Light beer is like sex on the beach, effing near water.

20. Flouncer

I have thought his over and in the spirit of this forum . . . .. . If I had a $2,000 scope on my $3,500 bench gun, I would agree with DK14. There are members here that are so far out of my league that it makes some conversation quite informative and maybe humorous. Trying to understand the difference mechanically between another $125 goofy add on like a 20 MOA rail or base and a shim between the base and the receiver. I don't see any. If a shim bows anything, so would a similar elevation MOA base. I looked at my Tikka hunting rifle, no base, the rings go directly on the shaped receiver. The rings are in line, and on the same planar surface. Just as a one-piece base. Any differing elevation between the rings will have to result in an angular conflict. The base or the rings or the scope has to bend, or deflect even if it is a tiny amount. Never considered that, but I doubt I would ever notice it on my 20 yo Tasco scope. So is this a real (rail ?) issue or just a distaste for cheap beer ??