Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter  (Read 22433 times)

Offline glockmeister71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
What do you guys think about this http://savagearms.com/12PrecVarm.htm .Not for competition,just paper punching at 100yds and coyotes out to 300yds.The 22-250 model.

Offline chuckw2

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ace Member
Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter
« Reply #1 on: 03:54 AM, 03/19/06 »
  • Miester..  I think that Savage would be perfect.  You will have a gun that will shoot the 40-55 grn. bullets like a house of fire.  A 12 twst will not shoot the heavy, high BC. bullets.  You will have a gun that takes you five minutes to change the barrel to any caliber with a .473 bolt face.  I will be flamed and banished from this board forever for saying this but, IMHO I think they are much better shooters out of the box than theRemington's.  You won't be disappointed if you want to shoot the lower grain weight bullets.

Chuck

Offline glockmeister71

• Basic Member
    « Reply #2 on: 01:08 PM, 03/19/06 »
  • I plan on using 40gr projectiles and Benchmark powder.I keep it in 8lb jugs for my 308/147gr loads,so I'll try it first and see if I'm happy.I think I'll try some of the Nosler brass too.Never tried their brass,but I've always been happy with every product of theirs I have tried.

Offline schutzen

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 09:44 PM, 03/19/06 »
  • Try a Serria 55 gr BlitzKing BT pushed to 3000+ FPS. Powder of your choice.  They are tack drivers. My son, son-in-law & I all have various versions of this gun.  They are the best bang for your buck.  And yes, I'm a die hard Remington Shooter.  Learned to shoot on a Remington 41P that I still have, and have hunted with a 700 BDL for the last 35 years.  I still like them and will continue to shoot Remington, but the Savage Model 12 is just as good and may be more accurate.

Offline onomrbil

• It's the Juggernaut, Bitch!
    « Reply #4 on: 07:20 PM, 03/31/06 »
  • I purchased a Savage Model 12 Heavy Varmint rifle in 204 Ruger last fall.  I then proceeded to try to get it to shoot, trying factory ammo and handloads until I was blue in the face.  Had it bedded and gone over with the same crappy results I had been getting previously. It was the most frustrating rifle I have ever dealt with.  Traded it on a TC Encore yesterday...
    I feel more like I do now than I did yesterday.

Offline glockmeister71

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 12:21 AM, 04/03/06 »
  • Wow,that surprises me.I've only known one other person complain about a heavy barrel Savage's accuracy.He was a cop that had confiscated an older 110FP in 308 and said it shot 6" groups at 100yds w/FGMM 168's.It's unknown how many rounds or what treatment it had before hand.The only Savage I've had that the accuracy was poor was a skinny 20" barrel model.I had a 10FP/308 that shot .182" 100yd groups with reloads and an older 112/223 that shot .376" 100yd groups with cheap UMC 55's.Both was factory barrels.I also had a 12FV/22-250 that I had to get rid of soon after I purchased it because of health reasons,but what little I shot it made me believe it was also going to be a good shooter.The guy I sold it to said he got 1/4" groups with reloads.

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 01:13 AM, 04/03/06 »
  • Way too much money compared to a Savage 12 BVSS.

Savage action is not a bad idea. Savage barrels tend to be quite accurate for a factory rig, but tool- and chatter-marks are all too common which means they are heavy foulers.

If you want to have a GREAT Savage, find the cheapest stainless Accutrigger action you can find in .308. Sell off the barrel and stock and shipping box. Add a PacNor or Walther prefit SuperMatch barrel,I'm partial to PacNors). Drop it into a good stock,see BLOG for the SSS LR Benchrest model).

You'll now have a rifle good enough to win local club matches, that will run longer, with MUCH less fouling, in the varmint fields. All-up cost, after you've sold the factory barrel and stock, should be under $1000.

The only gunsmithing required would be to skim-bed the action and that you could probably do yourself.

AND... drum-roll please... we are considering starting an Accurate Shooter Club that may entitle you to further discounts on many of the components. $20/year and you'd save that much on the stock alone.

Offline glockmeister71

• Basic Member
    « Reply #7 on: 01:15 AM, 04/04/06 »
  • I agree about the fouling issue.I never had the problem with the 223 or 22-250,but the 308 definitely had it.I could only do 15 rounds until the groups would start spreading.

Offline rhino

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 03:38 PM, 04/04/06 »
  • I'd be down with that YO!  Sign me up ASAP! :)

I'd find a Savage 12 BVSS Single Shot used if you can.  I think with a Savage you'd perfer a Single Shot action.

The space between the front action screw and the rear is smaller than a Remington or mauser type action.  Also the place hogged out for the trigger is pretty large.  So what you end up with is a rather small IMHO bedding area.

With a Single shot action you have an action that can be skim bedded into the action.  The rear action screw has more meat to it since its not close to the box magazine.  I Know some may disagree, but I think that small rear bedding surface is a problem, the pillar just doesn't have enough wood or synethic material to adhere too.

So you get a 12 BVSS SS Single shot, sell off the barrel, buy a quality stock, barrel, trigger, reocil lug...etc.  Have Fred over at SSS Set up your rig!  

For a feeding system I believe its hard to beat the Tikka actions....thats pre T series.  The old M 695 long action and M 595 short action are truely slick as snails snot. and there are no issues in feeding if you can fit the cartridage into the mag I doubt you'll have fedding issues.  Mac Tilton is THE Tikka Man!

Rhino-

A Poor Shepard from the Urals!

Offline savet06

« Reply #9 on: 08:12 PM, 04/13/06 »
  • I think, for what it's worth, the precision varminter is very overpriced for what it could be... a truly LONG range precision gun.  I happened to be at Sharp Shooter Supply today talking with Fred,if you ever get a chance he is a GREAT guy, and Lisa couldn't be nicer) about this very topic.  I wasn't aware, but they are using a large shank barrel which limits resale to most of the savage shooting public.  The H&S precision stock is nice, but not much of an improvement over the low profile laminate stock they already offer.  You will still need to bed it to get the best fit possible.  In my mind your money will be more well spent with the recommendations that the moderator made.  $260 for a Stevens at Wal-Mart, $450 for a pre-fit Pac-Nor, pick your stock of choice...SSS 1000 yard or SVT are great options for under $300.  Throw in an aftermarket trigger and your favorite piece of glass, send to Fred, and you are about as good as you can get without going the custom route for 2-3x as much.
    Good luck,
    Mike

Offline MrFurious

• Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 08:41 AM, 06/14/06 »
  • Quote from: savet06
    I think, for what it's worth, the precision varminter is very overpriced for what it could be... a truly LONG range precision gun.  I happened to be at Sharp Shooter Supply today talking with Fred,if you ever get a chance he is a GREAT guy, and Lisa couldn't be nicer) about this very topic.  I wasn't aware, but they are using a large shank barrel which limits resale to most of the savage shooting public.  The H&S precision stock is nice, but not much of an improvement over the low profile laminate stock they already offer.  You will still need to bed it to get the best fit possible.  In my mind your money will be more well spent with the recommendations that the moderator made.  $260 for a Stevens at Wal-Mart, $450 for a pre-fit Pac-Nor, pick your stock of choice...SSS 1000 yard or SVT are great options for under $300.  Throw in an aftermarket trigger and your favorite piece of glass, send to Fred, and you are about as good as you can get without going the custom route for 2-3x as much.
    Good luck,
    Mike

Mike, did you hit the shop again and not give me advanced notice so we could finally meet?  tsk tsk tsk!

Anyway, you pretty much spelled out what me and Fred both have been trying to pound into Savage's head since last September when we first heard news of the 12LRPV.  In Savage's defense, they had hoped to offer it in 6.5-284, but they aren't happy with the accuracy they're getting from their 6.5mm barrels as of yet.

Savage happened to supply me with a 12LRPV in .22-250 with a 1-9" twist barrel for a project rifle this year.  I specifically requested the 1-9" twist in hopes of generating enough interest that Savage will offer them next year.  Fred and I are also really pushing them to offer the 6mm BR Norma as well, but we've made little progress thus far.  In short, if you want to see either start calling Savage and tell them you want them to offer it.

So far mine's shooting extremely well,when I do my part).  I'm far from an exceptional shooter, but when I can routinely shoot groups in the 3's and 4's,and several groups dropping into the 2's when I get lucky) with a bone-stock factory rifle it says a lot for the gun.

My pet load for paper punching is 37.5 grains of Varget, CCI BR2 primer, and a 53gr SMK.  I'm also playing with the 60gr V-Max, 65gr Sierra Gameking and the 75gr A-Max bullets, and have loads worked up for each that will consistently group around 1/2 MOA.

The only downside is that this rifle has taken all the fun out of shooting the 2" spinner at 225 yards at our local range.  
    Jim Baker
    Site Admin - Savage Shooters

Offline jhilton

• Basic Member
    « Reply #11 on: 06:49 PM, 06/14/06 »
  • There is no way that your group sizes are correct if those are .224 size holes, the top one looks like around .400. Measure center to center, or outside to outside and subtract .224. Is the circle in the center is .500. If so you group is almost that. If you have a .222 group the outside bullet holes should be over laped by .002

Offline jhilton

• Basic Member
    « Reply #12 on: 06:12 PM, 06/15/06 »
  • Do you think the outside two bullets are overlapping? There is a bullet hole  in the middle on my screen.

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 06:45 PM, 06/15/06 »
  • The measurement on the third,bottom) target looks correct to me.

Even if the first two are larger than specified I'd say that's a darn fine shootin' factory rifle. Let's hope Savage brings out the 1:9.

Offline Ogre6br

• Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 08:11 PM, 06/15/06 »
  • Id be interested in the buyers club.

Can you enlist retailers who will/can export also please???

thanks

later
    p
    Doze a greenie.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.