Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Magnum bolt face  (Read 1594 times)

Offline anseitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Magnum bolt face
« on: 07:39 AM, 01/21/06 »
  • Question to you all is what would be recommended to change out from 7mm rem mag to ? seeing that I have a magnum bolt face or can that be changed in order to accomodate a better benchrest caliber?  Maybe a stupid question, but I'm new to the game.

Andy

Offline SF340_Driver

• Site $$ Contributor
    Magnum bolt face
    « Reply #1 on: 11:23 AM, 01/21/06 »
  • I think you will find most of the BR cartridges run with a PPC or 308 boltface.  Your bolt can be modified to fit a smaller cartridge.  Getting a new bolt is another option.

Offline dantec

Magnum bolt face
    « Reply #2 on: 11:55 AM, 01/21/06 »
  • belted case can be very accurate but you always stay in big water capacity, smallest easy to use / accurate is the 6.5 REM mag

or you can use a WSSM case 6.5/25 WSSM or 6.5/25 WSSM is close to a 260 REM

with a SAKO extractor you can extract 308 case on mag bolt face but caution to SAKO extractor modification always choose the smallest in size, the Tubbs 2000 is perfect on REM bolt

6BR
    DAN TEC

Offline M700

• Ace Member
    Magnum bolt face
    « Reply #3 on: 12:18 PM, 01/21/06 »
  • Seems to me it was only a few years ago that a good old belted 7mm Rem mag won a big 1000 yard BR match. I don't remember which one or where. Pennsylvania I think? I'll bet JB1000BR knows! :)

As I recall it was with Berger 168's "soft seated" into the lands. The belted magnums can still perform.

On the other hand, I've seen some really promising results from the newer short mags, which I believe share the same bolt face. You might want to consider the 7mm WSM, which would seem to have even better accuracy potential than the older stlye belted cases. The big capacity cases only make sense for competition at long range. Otherwise there is simply no point in burning that much powder and living with that much blast and recoil simply to punch paper.

FWIW, Guy

Offline anseitz

• Basic Member
    Magnum bolt face
    « Reply #4 on: 12:59 PM, 01/21/06 »
  • Yeah, I definitely will consider the 7mm wsm, I too have heard good things, don't know why I thought any different, will it shoot ok in the M70 long action?

Offline Wild_Bill

Magnum bolt face
    « Reply #5 on: 06:26 PM, 01/22/06 »
  • Hi i would stick with a 7mm there are a few options you could go with and 1 factory 6.5 belted that would work.
    The 6.5 would be the 6.5 Rem Mag a few shooters have been using it for 1000 yards with the belt turned off so you could use it with the belt if you like a 6.5 option.

The first 7mm would be the 6.5 rem mag necked up to 7mm this would give you an equivelent to the 284 win and i and others are having verry good results with cases around that capacity.  The next option is just rechamber it to 7mm Rem mag as you have the dies and know how to load for it.  Then there are the two 7mm short magnums i prefer the design of the Remington but match brass isnt available for it but you can buy 500 Rem cases and batch out 200 and then sell the rest or you could form some  WSM Norma cases to 7mm RSAUM as some have done but i would not go that route.  The final that would probably be the best option is a 7mm WSM and use 175gr Sierra's and Norma brass also use H1000 and try Retumbo both work verry well.

Cheers Bill
    Australia

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.