Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Pdogs in February  (Read 780 times)

Offline Witchhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
Pdogs in February
« on: 10:13 PM, 02/27/14 »
  • Well I know it's early, but the weather here in way northern California has been warm. So warm that I had to check out one of the ranches I shoot pdogs at last Sunday. It got windy early  but I still got to pop some caps at em. It snowed last night here, so it may be awhile before I can get out again.

Offline drover

• Trade Count: (+4)
    Pdogs in February
    « Reply #1 on: 08:15 PM, 02/28/14 »
  • Didn't realize there were Prairie Dogs in CA, I thought all you had were ground squirrels. 
    Where are they located in CA?

drover
    223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

Offline A_Gamehog

• Trade Count: (0)
    Pdogs in February
    « Reply #2 on: 04:51 AM, 03/01/14 »
  • There are no P-Dogs in Ca. or the West coast. He's mistaken, they are Belding's Ground Squirrels, (Squeaks, Sage Rats) etc. They have no P-Dogs west of Utah.

"Happiness  for me is a Barred Owl eating a Spotted Owl" Environmentalists watching nature do what I could not.

Offline drover

Pdogs in February
    « Reply #3 on: 11:36 AM, 03/01/14 »
  • In all of my years of 'dogging I had never heard of any populations west of the Rockies that is why I was so surprised to see someone mention hunting them in CA.

drover
    223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

Offline Otter

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    Pdogs in February
    « Reply #4 on: 12:07 PM, 03/01/14 »
  • Probably a Belding ground squirrel, aka the sage rat.  They look just like a miniature prairie dog though and are often mistaken as such.  As for targets they are as much or more fun than prairie dogs because they are smaller.  If you can catch a field right after the first cutting the young are out, which can make for a very challenging target cause they are tiny.  They bunch up on the mounds looking around, so getting doubles and triples are not uncommon if your bullet finds a mark.  My record is four.  After the grass starts growing again it is next to impossible to see them.

Just like everywhere else, it is getting harder and harder to find places to hunt.  Guides are buying up the rights to fields and then charge $100-300 per day to hunt.  They are such a nuisance (the sage rats, not the guides, although you could make that argument too) often farmers and ranchers will poison them off.  Places that used to be hot now don't have a single rat.

Offline drover

Pdogs in February
    « Reply #5 on: 12:28 PM, 03/01/14 »
  • We have Richardson's and Columbian ground squirrels here along with some areas with a smaller subspecies of the Richardson's.  I do love PDing but by far the majority of my shooting is at ground squirrels since they are much more prolific.

drover

Offline Witchhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
    Pdogs in February
    « Reply #6 on: 02:23 PM, 03/01/14 »
  • Yup, they are a lot smaller, maybe the size of a beer can standing up. I'll post pictures next time I go. We call em prairie dogs, picket pins, pasture pups, sage rats etc. Last time I was in Wyoming they had some bigguns up there, no  wonder you guys shoot the big guns at em..... I had my .17 Remington and my 25/06 that I shot my goat with.

Offline A_Gamehog

Pdogs in February
    « Reply #7 on: 10:05 PM, 03/01/14 »

• Squeaks, Sage Rats, Belding's Ground Squirrels. More fun than P-Dogs because they are STUPID, they don't spook as easily, and there are more of them number wise.
    "Happiness  for me is a Barred Owl eating a Spotted Owl" Environmentalists watching nature do what I could not.

Offline Otter

• Ace Member
    Pdogs in February
    « Reply #8 on: 07:51 PM, 03/02/14 »
  • Guess I've helped clean up the gene pool because the sage rats I hunt are getting smart.  Soon as I park my truck they will go down within a 100 yard radius and not come back up.

Don't shoot the great big ones early in the season!  They are the pregnant ones.  They sure pop, but keep in mind you are reducing the future generation numbers.

Offline Rick in Oregon

Pdogs in February
    « Reply #9 on: 10:00 AM, 03/03/14 »
  • I shoot both PD's and squirrels, and for my fuel money, the squirrel shooting is MUCH better, more of it, and the critter is much dumber than any PD alive....they'll stay up while you pick off the crowd around them.

Here's the Beldings ground squirrel found here in Oregon and in N. CA.....some young'un's just emerging from their burrow.....NOT a prairie dog:

After just over 45 years of launching "Skippy the Flying Squirrel", it's become my favorite pastime with a rifle, and the season is just getting started for 2014!  Oh yeah!  :)

Offline Otter

• Ace Member
    Pdogs in February
    « Reply #10 on: 10:42 PM, 03/03/14 »
  • Rick, one of my goals this year is to join the Raptor Feeding Society.  Just a picture documenting the feed is required, right?

Wish I had known this a couple years ago.  I fed an entire flock of seagulls, crows and a bald eagle.  The eagle was so stuffed when I returned the next day he could barely fly.  It was like watching an albatross take.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.