Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 243. Win 105 gr berger load data  (Read 761 times)

Offline Matt_3479

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
243. Win 105 gr berger load data
« on: 09:55 PM, 12/16/13 »
  • Still new to reloading and I'm going too be reloading some 105gr berger's tomorrow and was hoping for some advice on load data. Everyone seems to be loading H-4350 and hoping to get some tomorrow. I currently have RL-22 and had another gentlemen suggest trying that! Any advice and full load data would be appreciate

Offline antifaz2006

• Basic Member
    « Reply #1 on: 10:28 PM, 12/16/13 »
  • I would start with this page

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

And work my way up to get the best load. Always look for pressure indicators and you should be good.  ;)

Offline Nomad47

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • Ace Member
    • Oops!
    « Reply #2 on: 10:41 PM, 12/16/13 »
  • Matt, since you said you are new to reloading, I think I should ask you what the twist is in the barrel you will be shooting the 105s in.  And is it the Hybrids or the VLDs?
    Bill, Retired, AZ/OH
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoier

• Trade Count: (+11)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 10:42 PM, 12/16/13 »
  • What rifle do you have? If your running a factory rifle, you might not have enough twist for those Bergers.

Offline Hoier

• Trade Count: (+11)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 10:43 PM, 12/16/13 »
  • Good call Bill!

Offline Matt_3479

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 11:30 PM, 12/17/13 »
  • I'm using a remington action and barrel and I'm not expecting it to work well. JUst seeing if they will. I am hoping to get a good load with hornady 87 gr vmax as well. Bc similar to 90 gr berger at a 3rd of the price. I can get some Bergers cheap and figured I may as well give them a go and hope for the best.

Any suggestions on load developments for the 87 gr vmax

Offline DocDoc

• Basic Member
    « Reply #6 on: 08:02 AM, 12/18/13 »
  • Always check multiple sources before you load one. Berger lists the MAX load of H4350 at 39.7 gr for the 105 grain bullets. One of the suggestions was to start with 44 grains. 10% below handbook max is a good place to begin.

Offline Nomad47

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • Ace Member
    • Oops!
    « Reply #7 on: 10:40 AM, 12/18/13 »
  • I agree, Dave Berg.
    Bill, Retired, AZ/OH
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline normmatzen

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #8 on: 03:16 PM, 12/18/13 »
  • I used to shoot 243 WIN for long range B R.

I shot A-MAX then shifted to 105 SMK.  I used hBN as well and loaded 46 gn of H-1000.  Got about 2900 fps.  This powder supposedly extends bore life in a 243 WIN.

But, 105's require 1 in 8 twist.

Also, of course, start your load lower for safety.
    Norm

Offline Matt_3479

• Basic Member
    « Reply #9 on: 08:27 PM, 12/18/13 »
  • I work at a little gun store and get discounts but we don't carry Berger. So i would pay 42.99 for bullets before tax plus shipping across the country. I just paid 17 dollars a box for the 87 vmax. SO for me its cheap to shoot them.

I would like to use it for long range target then coyote hunting as well. But getting my hands on the Berger's like i said aren't always easy and generally a little more expensive. Especially when im not sure they will even stabilize in my barrel. I am hoping to grab just a couple off a buddy to give a go. I found some RL-17 sitting at my place that was going to be used for a 300. wsm and read it worked pretty good in some short calibers. played around in the basement last night and had some pretty good luck today at the range with RL-17. Started at 42grs and worked up too 44grs and and 43gr looked like the perfect starting point to see if i can shrink it again. I dont have a chrony yet to test what i am getting but i am sitting at 2.735" COAL with 43 gr's of RL-17 and getting what looks to be great accuracy!

I am hoping to get a chrony in the next couple weeks (Christmas season, just have to watch spending limit) to test the velocity and probably going to pick up some H4350 as well since there is only 1LBS left at work and see if i can get my hands on the 105's or 95's. seeing the accuracy of the 87 is got me thinking it wont stabilize the 105's at all.

Offline Matt_3479

• Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 08:59 AM, 12/20/13 »
  • Anyone have suggestions for the 95gr load development?

Offline Matt_3479

• Basic Member
    « Reply #11 on: 12:00 AM, 01/05/14 »
  • Well i will be heading out tomorrow to spend a little time with my first load work up for some 105 gr bergers and see if she will stabilize at all! and if so i will begin to back it up a little! i also loaded up some more 87gr vmax to see if it was all luck or if it happens to be a half decent load! keep you updated on those 105's

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.