Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Cleaning Brass with Tarnex?  (Read 847 times)

Offline Darryll

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+18)
Cleaning Brass with Tarnex?
« on: 06:02 AM, 12/06/13 »
  • I was wondering if anybody on this forum has used Tarnex (The Silver Cleaner) to clean their brass with and if it was successful or not.  I'm not sure about Tarnex removing carbon, but it seems to me that it would definitely remove any oxidation.  I don't know if it leaves any residue that would be  detrimental to the rifle barrel, or how cost effective it would be.  I'd like to hear your input.  Thanks in advance.
    Darryll

Offline CatShooter

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 06:51 AM, 12/06/13 »
  • I was wondering if anybody on this forum has used Tarnex (The Silver Cleaner) to clean their brass with and if it was successful or not.  I'm not sure about Tarnex removing carbon, but it seems to me that it would definitely remove any oxidation.  I don't know if it leaves any residue that would be  detrimental to the rifle barrel, or how cost effective it would be.  I'd like to hear your input.  Thanks in advance.
    Darryll

It works "OK" on oxidation, but will not remove ash or powder fouling - if you rinse it well, there are no bad after effects.

CatShooter.
    Spring has sprung, da' creek has riz, I wonder where dem kitties is?
    Here Kitty, kitty, kitty.

Offline Shynloco

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    • You can lead a horse to water, but ........
    « Reply #2 on: 07:51 AM, 12/06/13 »
  • There are two things that come to mind about using any such cleaner.  First is the obvious of a lot of work.  The second is that using any type of liquid solution used to clean casings creates other issues because of the potential chemical reaction under extreme heat and pressure when fired and the residue left UNLESS as Cat says, you wash the casings thoroughly and dry them.  Tumblers or vibrator cleaners clean in a dry atmosphere even though I still wipe off each casing with a clean cloth.  Personally, the idea of using such cleaners just doesn't get me excited.  Just my thoughts.

Alex

Offline bayou shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    • F-TR competitor
    « Reply #3 on: 07:58 AM, 12/06/13 »
  • I keep pads of 0000 steel wool near the loading bench. It's a great thing to use to remove stubborn spots from the brass.
    Denys Beauchemin - Spring, TX

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the weaponry to make a difference.

Offline ShootDots

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 08:04 AM, 12/06/13 »
  • After I fire a round, I remove it from the chamber and immediately wipe the neck and a portion of the body with "Krazy-Kloth"... You get it at Sinclair.. It takes less than 3 seconds to wipe a piece of brass... Then when I get home, I toss them in my tumbler / vibrator.. I have that loaded up with treated crushed walnut and corn cob mixture. My brass is always better than new looking... If you anneal, a toss into the tumbler for a few hours and the brass is still looks better than new..
    Benjamin Steinsholt

Offline CatShooter

• Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 12:21 PM, 12/06/13 »
  • There are two things that come to mind about using any such cleaner.  First is the obvious of a lot of work.  The second is that using any type of liquid solution used to clean casings creates other issues because of the potential chemical reaction under extreme heat and pressure when fired and the residue left UNLESS as Cat says, you wash the casings thoroughly and dry them.  Tumblers or vibrator cleaners clean in a dry atmosphere even though I still wipe off each casing with a clean cloth.  Personally, the idea of using such cleaners just doesn't get me excited.  Just my thoughts.

Alex

Shy...

There is no work when using "Tarnex", it is a clear liquid (looks like water), it just washes the oxide away.  And when you rinse the cases in water, it is gone, so there is no work and no chemical problems after cleaning.

But it is VERY expensive for what it does.  It goes fast, as opposed to some of the "made for cartridge case cleaning" cleaners, that are reusable over and over.

CatShooter.
    Spring has sprung, da' creek has riz, I wonder where dem kitties is?
    Here Kitty, kitty, kitty.

Offline jam711

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+11)
    • jam711
    « Reply #6 on: 05:54 PM, 12/09/13 »
  • I keep pads of 0000 steel wool near the loading bench. It's a great thing to use to remove stubborn spots from the brass.

Bayou shooter:
    Many of us use 0000 steel wool,as you mentioned. "Crazy cloth "works well too. I chuck my cases into a shell holder in a drill and turn them . The crazy cloth requires you to wipe then off with a dry rag afterwards, Unlike the steel wool. Both do a great job.

Offline LIUNA

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: 06:13 PM, 12/09/13 »
  • Have you tried Lucas Metal Polish, it works better than steel wool and cleaner.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.