Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Nosler 26  (Read 3048 times)

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ace Member
Nosler 26
« on: 04:12 PM, 11/25/13 »
  • Just saw that Nosler is introducing their first proprietary cartridge, calling it the "Nosler 26". Applied for SAAMI approval in June. Non-belted .264 claiming to launch a 129gr LR Accubond at 3400fps out of a std 30-06 length cartridge. Sounds like an un-belted .264 Win Mag. Anyone have any info?
    Scott

Offline Hoier

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • Ace Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #1 on: 08:22 PM, 11/25/13 »
  • I read on the main page it's a 375 Ruger necked down.

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #2 on: 09:54 PM, 11/25/13 »
  • Nosler's web site says nothing about it being a Hornaday cartridge necked down. That makes no sense. They are competitors on every level. Might be similar, but I doubt they neck a competitor's brass down to make their first new cartridge.

Any info not based on internet rumor and suspicions?
    Scott

Offline Hoier

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • Ace Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #3 on: 10:38 PM, 11/25/13 »
  • Sorry, I was excited about it listening to everything I'd heard. But you are right that makes no sense.

Offline saunaking

• Trade Count: (+4)
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #4 on: 09:07 AM, 11/26/13 »
  • Scott -
    Talked to a guy on the "inside" at Nosler yesterday that said it is based on a .404 Jeffery case. The scuttle-butt was a necked down .375 Ruger, but he said that is not the case (no pun intended). Sounds like they are using more of the case for this cartridge than Winchester did for WSM cartridges. You will need a standard LA for this one with a magnum bolt face.

I was shooting 130 grain Siroccos at close to 3400 in my 6.5 WSM with no pressure signs using MagPro, so this isn't going to be a huge step up in velocities. The old .264 WM will still do better than that. I'm hoping Nosler puts an 8 twist barrel on their rifles with this cartridge and come out with a 140 grain LRAB bullet.
    « Last Edit: 09:14 AM, 11/26/13 by saunaking »

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #5 on: 01:41 PM, 11/26/13 »
  • Essentially they are making a Remington Ultra Mag in 6.5, maybe a little shorter case length than the 7 and 300 RUM
    Scott

Offline Con

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #6 on: 09:51 PM, 11/26/13 »
  • Essentially they are making a Remington Ultra Mag in 6.5, maybe a little shorter case length than the 7 and 300 RUM
    Scott

Hope so ... will give them the ability to go upto 458cal with the Nosler name. I'm already shooting a RUM cut to 2.55" and in 45cal to match the 458Lott from a standard length action.
    Hope its proven true!
    Cheers...
    Con

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #7 on: 11:43 PM, 11/26/13 »
  • Con,
    PM me with info on the .458. I would like to build a Lott as my big rifle, but the RUM case has added benefits. And I have a lifetime supply right now.

As for the Nosler 26, I bet they shortened the case from the 7 RUM and the 300 RUM length or barrel life would be real short. Time will tell.

Scott

Offline wwbrown

• Trade Count: (+6)
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #8 on: 10:09 AM, 11/27/13 »
  • After burning up a barrel on my 6.5 WSM shooting 142 g SMKs at 3,100 fps in 550 rounds I do not think shooting them at 3,400 fps will get you much better barrel life no matter what the neck configuration is.

I hope the 26 Nosler is a necked down 375 Ruger as I just finished a 30-375 Ruger and I would rather neck up from .264 then down from .375.  Having another source of brass would be good.

They talk of other offerings to be brought out at Shot Show and I would not be surprised if they have other cartridges along this line brought out.  It has been rumored that Nosler is making a 30 caliber that is a necked down 375 Ruger, one custom gun maker has been after them as they do not like the quality of the Hornady 375 Ruger brass.  This rumor predates the 26 Nosler announcement.  The people shooting the 7mm LRM will definitely be happy about the 26 Nosler if it is a .264 x 375 Ruger.

Competition-wise I do not see Hornady's 375 Ruger cases being much of a competitor to say a 6.5-375 Ruger as there are quite a few steps involved in necking the .375 down to .264 while maintaining neck consistently.  I think Ruger dropped the ball when they did not bring out 30 Ruger and 338 Ruger by necking down the 375 Ruger.  The 30 and 338 RCM had direct competitors in the WSM and SAUM cases whereas the 30 and 338 Rugers would have been a unique offering, close to 300 Weatherby capacity without a belt that fits nicely in a 30-06 length receiver.

I guess we will have to wait for Shot Show to see the Real Deal, I am off to the range to test the 30-375 Ruger with H1000 powder.

Just some random thoughts,
    wade

Offline wyoming .260

• Trade Count: (+2)
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #9 on: 10:31 AM, 11/27/13 »
  •  There are threads on other forums  about this, It seems reading from the commentary that Nosler has at least started a buzz ,both negative and positive about the .26. Publicity is the key. It will be some time before an actual gun or loaded ammo shows up. If its a .375 ruger case, it will help spawn new wildcats. I wish the companies would catch up to demand before worrying about new stuff though!  just my .02 cents!

Offline .300WBYMAG

• Trade Count: (+4)
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #10 on: 06:17 PM, 11/27/13 »
  • I see the impact this new case will make if it is a 375 Ruger necked down. But I doubt it will be. I would think a 2.5" RUM case would fit the bill perfect and be very close to capacity as the 375 Ruger.

Now with that said does it really matter what the case is? Anything that will fit into a standard length action and hold that much power is a wildcatters dream, no doubt about it you will see many wildcats built off this new case probably .243 and up. the problem that most people don't realize about a case like this is, to make the case more effect and out perform what is all ready classic cartridges is the bullets need to be heavy for caliber and the barrels need to be fast twists. Perfect example is Kirby Allens crazy monster cartridges They are for sure speed demons but they need the extra heavy bullets to really shine and make them stand out. Most people will never shoot far enough for any of this to even matter anyways. A 7mag and 180gr berger is plenty to 1000yards so what makes some new case anything better than what is already out there and available.

Plus Nosler brass is great but is stupid expensive and you know they aren't going to just be giving this stuff away. 

Offline Con

• Basic Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #11 on: 07:24 PM, 11/27/13 »
  • Con,
    PM me with info on the .458. I would like to build a Lott as my big rifle, but the RUM case has added benefits. And I have a lifetime supply right now.

As for the Nosler 26, I bet they shortened the case from the 7 RUM and the 300 RUM length or barrel life would be real short. Time will tell.

Scott

Google 458AR or visit the AccurateReloading forum and search there as the developer is a moderator. But basically, we cut the RUM brass to approximate length, form in the die for a crush fit, final trim (use a 0.452" pilot) and then do a fire-forming shot. Fire-forming netted 2230fps with a 500gr projectile. Have moved 400gr projectiles at 2580fps (at which point I sold my 416Rigby), and 300gr can be moved fast enough to beat the 375H&H.

Fed 2+1 with no modifications through a Ruger action, can be 3+1 if you cut windows in the magazine box and spring it open a tad.
    Cheers...
    Con

Offline Mr. Ten-X

• Trade Count: (+7)
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #12 on: 09:36 PM, 11/27/13 »
  • The 26 Nosler - The answer to a question that nobody asked.

My question: What rifle manufacturers will chamber a hi-vel bore size that died faster than any other bore size in modern firearm history?
    The wind is your friend.

Offline OttoVonMog

• Basic Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #13 on: 09:52 PM, 11/27/13 »
  • The 26 Nosler - The answer to a question that nobody asked.

My question: What rifle manufacturers will chamber a hi-vel bore size that died faster than any other bore size in modern firearm history?

Nosler does make guns now-- so I'm guessing only Nosler?

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Nosler 26
    « Reply #14 on: 09:43 AM, 11/28/13 »
  • Wade
    I agree with your comments. While I have never used Hornaday brass, rumors of it's quality have kept me away from any cartridge that requires their brass. Barrel life must be a huge concern with a cartridge like this. I love my 6.5-284 Cooper for hunting, but I know I have shot it enough that it will soon need a barrel, just like the .264 Win Mag Model 70 I bought used awhile ago that won't shoot at all.

All of these slight variations in cartridge designs become sales tools for the industry. I am not saying it is bad, it simply drives sales. I think powder composition advances such as the Superperformance powders will be the big changes in cartridge design of the future.

Scott

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.