Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Lapua Scenar versus Lapus Scenar-L  (Read 911 times)

Offline khennessy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Lapua Scenar versus Lapus Scenar-L
« on: 12:20 PM, 09/23/13 »
  • Guys,

i rather ask a silly question, than make a silly mistake.

Anyways - is there a different in the Lapua Scenar versus Lapua Scenar-L?
    (Model Number GB491 - 4PL/HL7073 versus Model Number GB552 - 4PL/HL7063)
    i shoot 0.308 win calibre - 155gr

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/bullets/centerfire-rifle-bullets/8

this website is giving them both a BC of 0.460 - G1

thanks in advance

Offline stgw77

« Reply #1 on: 12:51 PM, 09/23/13 »
  • It is the same bullet with the same BC and shape, but Scenars from L-line should be more consistent (better precision) and for sure more expensive...

Offline KevinThomas

• Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 01:31 PM, 09/23/13 »
  • Asked and answered! As stgw77 has said, the Scenar Ls are "premium" bullets, held to tighter QC standards than our standard Scenars. They're priced a bit higher than the standard Scenars, due to their increased production costs. Depending on what level of competition you're engaged in, they may, or may not, be worth the extra coin. Your call, which is why we continue to offer both. 
    Kevin Thomas
    Lapua USA

Offline DennisH

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (+27)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 02:56 PM, 09/23/13 »
  • No point in going any further with this thread.

The Scenar L's are used by many shooters.

"MOST" tell me they just clean them, load them, and shoot.  No special prep or weight to check.

I have used them and I give them an A+++

The Quality Control is based on consistant bullet bearing surface, base to ojive length, bullet tips, bullet weight, and maybe Kevin can throw a few more in with these.

I can't wait to try the 30 cal L's.  I might be selling some other bullets after I do.
    Dennis Haffner
    Pro Team, McGowen
    www.mcgowenoutlet.com

Offline AR Shooter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #4 on: 03:28 PM, 09/23/13 »
  • "MOST" tell me they just clean them, load them, and shoot.  No special prep or weight to check.
    Clean them? Not familiar with 'cleaning' new bullets. How do you do so without doing any damage?

Offline snakepit

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: 07:04 PM, 09/23/13 »
  • Asked and answered! As stgw77 has said, the Scenar Ls are "premium" bullets, held to tighter QC standards than our standard Scenars. They're priced a bit higher than the standard Scenars, due to their increased production costs. Depending on what level of competition you're engaged in, they may, or may not, be worth the extra coin. Your call, which is why we continue to offer both.
    Just curious are the Scenar L's made on a totally different line with better machines and quality control?  Do the ones that do not meet the Scenar L's standards become regular Scenar's?
    Every morning when I wake up I breathe on the bathroom mirror and if it fogs up I know it is another great day.

Offline KevinThomas

• Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 10:28 AM, 09/24/13 »
  • Sankepit,

No, it's a completely separate line, and they are produced specifically as L's. In most versions, the design, configuration, and BCs are exactly the same as the existing Scenars, but the QC control tolerances are ratcheted up; tighter dimensional uniformity in jacket wall concentricity, tighter weight tolerances, lengths, diameters . . . everything. The jackets receive the "L" stamp on the bottom of the jacket early on in the assembly process, so no, they're not "graded" as rimfire ammunition is, with the best being sorted into "L" packaging. They're "L's" from the very beginning of the production process, and monitored very closely throughout.

On the flip side, we also watch the standard Scenar lines pretty closely, and it's entirely feasible to find lots of these bullets that will fully rival the L's in terms of dimensional uniformity, across the board. They're already very high quality bullets, with the L's just raising the bar a bit higher. Think of it as more of an extra layer of assurance, a little more peace of mind when you need the very best.
    Kevin Thomas
    Lapua USA

Offline snakepit

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: 11:42 AM, 09/24/13 »
  • Kevin, thanks for the information.  I have always wondered about the difference in production.  I have had good luck with the 6mm Scenars and one of these days will have to try the "L's".

Nice talking to you at the NRA show/convention this past summer.
    Every morning when I wake up I breathe on the bathroom mirror and if it fogs up I know it is another great day.

Offline KevinThomas

• Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 04:22 PM, 09/24/13 »
  • My pleasure!
    Kevin Thomas
    Lapua USA

Offline DennisH

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (+27)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 05:24 PM, 09/24/13 »
  • "MOST" tell me they just clean them, load them, and shoot.  No special prep or weight to check.
    Clean them? Not familiar with 'cleaning' new bullets. How do you do so without doing any damage?

Use warm water and dishwashing soap, agitate lightly, rinse thoroughly, dry.

Or, use Acetone, just dip them, agitate lightly, then dry.

This is for all bullets.  You would be surprised what settles in the bottom of your cleaning container.

I use rubber gloves to handle after cleaning.

I was told to do this and was amazed at the crud on the bottom on my tupperware after rinseing.

I use Acetone to soak my brass after FL sizing.  Completely gets all oil removed, inside and outside.  Very useful if you are necking up brass and lube the inside of your necks.

JMO, Dennis
    Dennis Haffner
    Pro Team, McGowen
    www.mcgowenoutlet.com

Offline dooley

« Reply #10 on: 06:23 PM, 09/24/13 »
  • Lapua Scenar L bullets,
    More Consistant they may be, but dissapointing BC figures for the 120 & 136gr bullets I don't suppose I will change from the regular Scenars.
    dooley

Offline RStewart

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+2)
    • FTR and FPR Competitor
    « Reply #11 on: 06:46 PM, 09/24/13 »
  • The folks at Lapua have generously contributed a very nice stash of .30 caliber 175 and 220 grain Scenar-L's for our state match prize table. I'm pretty sure they will be gone pretty quick! Hopefully, the winners will take pity on me and let me have a few to try.
    Thanks to the Lapua Team for their support.
    Rick
    Director- Palo Alto Mid-Range F-Class/Prone and Field Precision Rifle Matches

Offline stubbicatt

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #12 on: 07:29 AM, 09/25/13 »
  • The folks at Lapua have generously contributed a very nice stash of .30 caliber 175 and 220 grain Scenar-L's for our state match prize table. I'm pretty sure they will be gone pretty quick! Hopefully, the winners will take pity on me and let me have a few to try.
    Thanks to the Lapua Team for their support.
    Rick

+1. I am not a national level competitor nor even very good. Nonetheless, due to their involvement with this site I buy Lapua. There are many manufacturers who produce good products, but I chose Lapua.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.