Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6.5x55mm Swede  (Read 388 times)

Offline coblenblueface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
6.5x55mm Swede
« on: 11:50 AM, 08/19/13 »
  • Hey, Greetings form Germany. Me and my father-in-law have a few Swedes that we are trying to get the best out of. 2 M38s and a M96. We use Hornady bullets with lapua cases with N140 powder. We think our reloading set up may be holding us back as we average mid 90s in competition out of 10 shots. On a sled we get the same due to fliers. We have standard RCBS dies and a beam scale. Any suggestions? Wantin a trophy next county championship and needin a 98 score minimum.

Online jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+185)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    6.5x55mm Swede
    « Reply #1 on: 04:53 PM, 08/19/13 »
  • I would weigh the bullets and do a very light turning of the necks to take off any high spots. I would also try some sierra or lapua bullets and weigh them looking for odd heavy or light ones and use those to foul the bore before a match.You might try different primers and see if it helps get rid of the flyers.But a military gun shooting that good is fantastic in my mind compared to sporters that can do not much better accuracy than you have. You might try reloader 22 as I have had pretty good results with it myself.
    Jon  Lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline 357Mag

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    6.5x55mm Swede
    « Reply #2 on: 05:56 PM, 08/19/13 »
  • Coblen -

Howdy !

IMHO -
    N140 to me, sounds a bit "fast" for  this  application.... as regards powder burn rate.

- Have you tried any  "slower burning " powders ?

- Have you tried out a variety of different primers ?

With regards,
                         357Mag

Offline Exercion

• Trade Count: (0)
    6.5x55mm Swede
    « Reply #3 on: 07:47 PM, 08/19/13 »
  • My go-to powders for the Swede are RL-22 or H4831SC, under 140gr Hornady AMAX bullets. Wolf primers, Lapua cases. Seat them as long as you like, just leave a little bullet in the case. It's been my experience that the AMAX 140's tolerate the jump. May try some Berger Hybrids in the near future since they seem to like jump as well.

Eric
    Every shot's a classroom

Offline letronshootit

• Trade Count: (+11)
    6.5x55mm Swede
    « Reply #4 on: 04:45 PM, 08/20/13 »
  • My M96's like 41gr. RL17, 139gr. PRVI or 140gr. A-max, CCI BR2 primer. Bullet seated out as far as you can with the long throats. I was using Norma brass also.
    Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
    - Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.