Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6mm creedmoor vs. 6xc vs. 243 vs. 6slr  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Cody Richardson

• Trade Count: (+17)
6mm creedmoor vs. 6xc vs. 243 vs. 6slr
« on: 06:41 PM, 08/12/13 »
  • I know it's a lot of "vs." but I'm looking for something a little bigger than a 6br that can push a 105 hybrid 3000+. Want to stay in the 6mm realm for now. Will be shooting mid/long range fclass and tactical matches.
    The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.  Proverbs 21:31

Offline raythemanroe

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 06:52 PM, 08/12/13 »
  • I have a custom gun almost done 300 wm and was thinking of something in 6mm and was reading nomad47's article First blood or something and he was using the 6slr. I thought it sounded pretty good and now have come to the conclusion that will be next gun after further review and brass is fairly easy to produce with .243 win brass!

http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3817371.0
    « Last Edit: 09:26 PM, 08/12/13 by raythemanroe »
    Long time shooter beginning my road into precision!

Offline scotharr

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+36)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 08:06 PM, 08/12/13 »
  • There are several great cartridges that will push a 105 6mm past 3000 fps, but you will want a repeater for tactical/practical shooting and that narrows the search considerably.  I'd recommend the 6XC for its great barrel life and accuracy, 243WIN if you want "easy" and can tolerate lower barrel life.

Offline Nomad47

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • Ace Member
    • Oops!
    « Reply #3 on: 09:56 PM, 08/12/13 »
  • I have two 6XC barrels and a 6SLR barrel.  And I am very happy with all three.  I might add that the 6SLR is basically a 6XC on steroids.  Or a 6XC stretched.  However you want to look at it.

6XC brass (Norma) can be bought directly from a couple suppliers or it can be formed from 22-250 brass.  6SLR brass is formed from .243 brass - easily.  And 6XC dies can be used to form, F/L size and seat.   
    Bill, Retired, AZ/OH
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tonysnoo

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+6)
    « Reply #4 on: 11:56 PM, 08/12/13 »
  • My buddy shoots 6xc and I shoot 6slr. They are both great. The 6slr seems to get to 3000 easier. Ive done a lot of hunting with a 243 and like it for that, but now have switched over to my SLRs. Brass is so easy. Over 2000 rounds and still shooting very nicely.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with any of the calibers mentioned. A lot of guys on here brag up the 6cm (similar to the 243 30improved) for barrel life.

Good luck!

Offline Cody Richardson

« Reply #5 on: 02:30 AM, 08/13/13 »
  • so many options.. im big on barrel life. so I want something that can give me at least 2,000 quality rounds. I have read George Gardner brag on and on about the 6mm creedmoor but i cant seem to find anything on barrel life of it.
    The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.  Proverbs 21:31

Offline 22BRGUY

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 04:43 AM, 08/13/13 »
  • Maybe a stupid question but have you looked at the 6 dasher?
    Lets see now....do I close one eye or two???

Offline MarkS

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 05:48 PM, 08/13/13 »
  • Cody

I have been where you are. More speed. Why 3000+? Look at the 6BRX or Dasher, both will give you 3000+, but they will shoot best at 2975 F/S. The bigger round will give speed, but will not give you the accuracy or barrel life.

Mark Schronce

Offline Gunner75

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #8 on: 06:04 PM, 08/13/13 »
  • 243 + H4350 + 115DTAC BN or 105 Hybrid will get you to 3,000fps running a true 8 twist barrel.  42 to 43grs will be needed.  My last two Bartlien heavy barrels ran just up to 3,000 rounds/no more than that and just shut off. 

Use a "good" barrel.

My current main rifle is running a 8 twist Barlien, 42gr H4350, and 105 Hybrids.  FPS=3,040fps.  These are naked bullets that I could push up to 3,120fps w/o issue. 

I have a build running right now and haven't decieded what to run.  It is a toss up between the 6 Creedmoor and the 6x47.  I am leaning 6 Creedmoor and plan on running the 105's at about 3,150fps with 42gr of H4350. 

Curious what you go with, why and your results. 

For those who suspect foul play on the round count of my barrels and the 243, all I can say is thank you Bartlien. 

GUNNER75

Offline Dgd6mm

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+25)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 07:34 PM, 08/13/13 »
  •     6Dasher, 105 Berger Hybrid. I've never seen a dasher ran out of a mag in Tactical.
    Come with Grit Teeth, for that is when School really begins.
      6MM Competition Match - Joe Hendrick's Design
          Don Dunlap

Offline Hoier

• Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 08:21 PM, 08/13/13 »
  • A guy I shoot with just got a bottom metal for his 700 from Wyatt's Outdoors and said it feeds flawless. I think it a detach unit for 223s. And this is for the 6br and I've seen where alf saying he has ran dashers with no need to modify anything.

Offline Gunner75

• Basic Member
    « Reply #11 on: 08:24 PM, 08/13/13 »
  • Just dropped the hammer on 6 Creedmoor components.  In a week or two I will be finding out just what I think of it. 
    GUNNER75

Offline NCVarhtr

• Trade Count: (+11)
    « Reply #12 on: 08:36 PM, 08/13/13 »
  • You might take a look at the 6 X 47 Lapua. I like it a lot. Just run the brass thru the 6 X 47 L Die and its ready to shoot. My are very accurate with the Berger VLD Bullets .015 to .020 off the lands. Unbelievable. One hole groups.... George
    Thats my story and I'm sticking to it

Offline Cody Richardson

« Reply #13 on: 11:37 PM, 08/13/13 »
  • I've considered a dasher or brx or brdx but the biggest thing is loading from a mag. I've heard mixed results with the 223 mag. There's a guy I shoot with who shoots a 6x47 Ill have to take a closer look at it this weekend. I shoot lapua brass in all my long range guns and to me its worth it but the only thing thy concerns me about the creedmoor is the hornday brass.
    « Last Edit: 03:07 AM, 08/14/13 by Cody Richardson »

Offline abishai

« Reply #14 on: 01:37 AM, 08/14/13 »
  • You're definately on the right track with the choices. High power 6 MM s are super frigin duper ! I love my XC , good barrel life and high speed , high accuracy. Great choice for F class. For tac comps I am more likely to grab my 243 .  I get my fealings hurt more when I leave my premium norma brass on the field. 243 remington or winchester brass is easier to let go of .
    If the primers hold and the creek dont rise.......

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.