Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Looking for precision weight scale  (Read 9241 times)

Offline Nk

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for precision weight scale
« on: 01:26 PM, 08/01/13 »

• The Sartorius GD503 has been discontinued and no longer in production as of May 2013. The Sartorius jewelry line was phased-out and at this time there is no direct replacement. We have no remaining stock on the GD503 and all information displayed herein is for archival and support purposes only.

The above is copied from web shop selling weighing scale which I was going to purchase.  Does anyone know of anything similar, please?

Offline Bamboolongbow

• Basic Member
    « Reply #1 on: 01:51 PM, 08/01/13 »
  • Check out the A&D  FXi series of scales. I am looking at the A&D FX-120i model.

Offline waltk

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+9)
    « Reply #2 on: 02:42 PM, 08/01/13 »
  • I purchased a AND fx-120i balance recently. So far so good.
    Nice unit. Reads out very fast, stabilizes very fast and repeats very well.
    It reads out to 0.00 grains. Easy to set up and operate. No elaborate procedures
    to change settings or operate unlike the Denver Instruments 123 unit, which also drifted constantly.
    Got it from scalesonline.com for $610 which included shipping. Shop around.
    So far I've only used it a few times but all is well. I almost forgot, it comes with a 5 year warranty!
    That's pretty impressive in itself. Worth considering.
    « Last Edit: 02:44 PM, 08/01/13 by waltk »

Offline Nk

« Reply #3 on: 10:19 PM, 08/01/13 »
  • How does it compare to Gempro 250?

Offline Bamboolongbow

• Basic Member
    « Reply #4 on: 10:58 PM, 08/01/13 »
  • The difference is strain gauge vs magnetic force restoration.

The hear the GemPro is a great scale. A buddy of mine uses one with great success.

Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89BOlViQXto

Offline snakepit

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: 01:04 AM, 08/02/13 »

The hear the GemPro is a great scale. A buddy of mine uses one with great success.

How does it compare to Gempro 250?

I purchased my GemPro 250 last Feb.  The first couple of months it worked good.  But after a couple of months each time I used it the drift started to increase after several powder measurements  to the point where it became unreliable although it still would occasionally give me a couple of good readings.  Finally it became so frustrating to use I stopped using it and just recently returned it to the manufacture for repair or replacement.  The scale on the left in the video does a good job of showing how my GemPro 250 reacted when I was adding powder to it the first couple of months before the drifting became too severe to use it.

Thanks for the video link, it was very informative.

I will follow up my post after the warranty work and I get my repaired or new GemPro 250 from the manufacture and use it for a while.
    « Last Edit: 08:48 AM, 08/02/13 by snakepit »
    Every morning when I wake up I breathe on the bathroom mirror and if it fogs up I know it is another great day.

Offline Nk

« Reply #6 on: 02:25 AM, 08/02/13 »

Thank you for the video link, it has answer my question.

Offline waltk

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: 09:45 AM, 08/02/13 »
  • I also have the Gem Pro 250. The first unit bit the dust after about 5 or 6 sessions.
    I mailed it in and received a replacement in a reasonable amount of time.
    Then a couple of months later the ac/dc adaptor died. Mailed that in and got a replacement.
    Which was surprising because it is not covered by the warranty.
    Not a bad little unit for the money. Not as fast or stable as the AND fx-120i.
    Good little balance for your range box if you reload at the range.
    But it does eat batteries fast. About 3 maybe 4 hours on a set of batteries.
    In a sense it's worth considering for the money and long warranty.
    But I prefer the AND for speed and repeatability. 

Offline cognac jack

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #8 on: 10:06 AM, 08/02/13 »
  • I am also looking for a good scale and the AND FX-120i looks great on paper. Is there anyone out there that has been using this scale for awhile, info would be greatly appreciated.
    John Farraggio   :)

Offline waltk

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: 10:31 AM, 08/02/13 »
  • Read my above post.

Offline normmatzen

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 01:42 PM, 08/02/13 »
  • I have mentioned this before.

I had a GemPro 250 and was happy with it other than needing to re-tare it often and difficulty in trickling due to slow reaction time.

I found a Ohaus TS200 on ebay with a guarantee of working correctly.  I made a bid on it and got it.

I am a happy re-loader!  It holds tare for weeks and responds within seconds to trickling.

These are obsolete balances but a lot were made and they appear on ebay often.

What you want is TS-120, TS-200 or TS-400D. These have readability to 0.01 to 0.02 gn and accuracy to boot.  They are accurate enough to force you to spend big money on calibration weights! I use common M2 weights and check it with a set of reloading weights in 1,2,5,10 and 20 gn sizes.

These are magnetic force restoration balances.

Do not bid on one that hasn't been checked, or doesn't have a power unit!  Only buy one that you can return if it doesn't work correctly.  Don't mistake the TS-400S for a TS-400D!  The S model is 400g full scale and doesn't have the accuracy you want.  The D model is Dual range, 40 and 400 g and on 40 mode it is accurate enough, I think 0.01gn as is the TS-120.  My TS-200 is accurate to and reads to 0.02gn.

A decent price for one of these is $150 to $250.

You will be impressed!
    Norm

Offline snakepit

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: 05:49 PM, 08/02/13 »
  • I also have the Gem Pro 250. But it does eat batteries fast. About 3 maybe 4 hours on a set of batteries.
    In a sense it's worth considering for the money and long warranty.

Try some Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries.  Energizer advertises that they last 9 times longer than standard batteries.  The ones I purchased at SAM's last month have a expiration date of 2028, yes that is 2028, they have a 15 year shelf life.  They may very well out last me. They are made specifically for electronic devices.  I have been using them for a couple of years and they really last but they are expensive.
    « Last Edit: 11:24 PM, 08/02/13 by snakepit »
    Every morning when I wake up I breathe on the bathroom mirror and if it fogs up I know it is another great day.

Offline Nomad47

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    • Oops!
    « Reply #12 on: 08:48 PM, 08/02/13 »
  • A 6 volt lantern battery ought to last a fairly long time.  ;)
    Bill, Retired, AZ/OH
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Todd S

• Basic Member
    « Reply #13 on: 07:43 AM, 08/03/13 »
  • I have both the Gempro and AND FX-120i. The AND FX-120i is far superior to the Gempro, it measures to a grain of Varget. And even better, here is a link for you to get one for $400 dollars. This is a spectacular deal.

http://cambridgeenviro.com/productDetail.php?122g-x-0.001g-A-D-5-Year-Warranty-Top-Loading-Balance-2867

Offline waltk

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: 10:41 AM, 08/03/13 »
  • That is a unbelievable deal!
    I feel pretty bad about spending over $600 for mine.
    How the heck did you find this?
    « Last Edit: 10:49 AM, 08/03/13 by waltk »

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.