Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 7mm08 and 140 gr HPBT Gameking  (Read 2267 times)

Offline 1holeaddict

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • Ace Member
7mm08 and 140 gr HPBT Gameking
« on: 08:00 PM, 07/26/13 »
  • Wondering if anybody has any proven results with the 7mm08 and the Sierra 140 grain HPBT Gamekings. I will be hunting Pa whitetails in the timber so shots will b fairly close. I do realize that it doesnt take much bullet to harvest a whitetail with correct shot placement. Just looking for some input on expansion, exit and weight retention.
    Thank You
    Ryan
    The LESS you EXPECT in the beginning the LESS you will be DISAPPOINTED in the end.

Offline Rustystud

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 08:40 PM, 07/26/13 »
  • Just been shooting a customers reworked 7mm08. Trued up model 7 Remington action, PT&G recoil lug,?Mullerworks #4 Sporter, 7mm, 1:8.77 ,5R, 20" McMillian BDL stock in Edge Technology. I would recommend 120 Barnes XXXMX, 140 Nosler Accubonds, 140 Barnes XXXMX, or 150 Swift Scirocco bullets.

Shot loads from .3 to 1.5"
    nat
    « Last Edit: 08:45 AM, 08/11/13 by Rustystud »

Offline wboggs

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+64)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 09:31 PM, 07/26/13 »
  • I am not a fan of the Sierra BT as a game bullet. The core and jacket tend to separate and penetration is poor. There are many better game bullets and
    the Nosler BT is one of them. I have had core separations as low as 25-2600 fps on quartering shots with small Whitetail.
    Bill
    « Last Edit: 09:33 PM, 07/26/13 by wboggs »

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 10:51 PM, 07/26/13 »
  • I wondered about the S 140 Gamekings at higher velocities - was just dinking around with an assortment of 7mm bullets in a new 280 AI, trying to get a feel for what it likes. Chrono'd a H100V/140GK load at 3087fps, and thought to myself what a whopping mid-range load that'd be for big mulie bucks that'd be. Sounds like it might be a better bullet for whacking steel than for harvesting deer at that speed.
    Regards,
    Dennis

Online ShootDots

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 10:59 PM, 07/26/13 »
  • Hey 1Hole, I used to shoot a .270Win and for 1 year I shot the Sierra HPBT gameking. I hunt in Texas where "Hill Country" whitetails tend to be small, body-wise. I shot a very nice "Big-Bodied" deer>>about 170 pounds. The bullet killed the deer and put him down in his tracks! Sounds good! BUT the bullet never exited and I found pieces of it all over the heart / lung and off-side hide. It simply came apart. Believe it or not, one of the best "regular" bullets I found for "deer-sized" game is the "Hornady Interlock"... I have never had that bullet fail. One of the best examples of how that bullet performs was a deer I shot with my 7-08. It was at 216 "measured" yards and the deer was trotting away at a 1/8th angle to me. I put the crosshairs on the front of his chest and let'er rip. It hit a rib going in, tore up the inside like it was placed in a blender, exited out leaving a HUGE hole and hit the front leg almost blowing it off! The "Inter-lock" is really all you will need for deer sized game..
    Benjamin Steinsholt

Offline 1holeaddict

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+54)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 06:18 AM, 07/27/13 »
  • My gun loves the Nosler Partition bullets and it will b almost impossible to find a load that will beat group size. I shot a few deer with the partition and they performed very well. I have been looking for a different bullet to play with in the 7mm08.
    The LESS you EXPECT in the beginning the LESS you will be DISAPPOINTED in the end.

Online bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 08:04 AM, 07/27/13 »
  • my experience with the Sierra game king is supurbe killer, however i do not use the HP i use the SBT and they do not show seperation, i have used the 140Si SBT in 7-08, 7-08AI, 280Ai with excellent results. some have exited and some have not depending on the angle of the shot.

The Nos BT also is great yet in my experience then never exit, just come apart in the animal, a number of WT and Mule to prove no exit

Bob

Offline 5spd

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 08:10 AM, 07/27/13 »
  • I use sierras 140g jsp and in my 7-08 Savage,  22" sporter they print at .630 to .820" at 100 yds and at 2793 fps.
    The nosler 120g hunting BT goes right at 3000 fps and prints an average of .700" @ 100yds and is a great bullet for antelope/deer as well. My COL is 2.780" on them.
    I aint fast.....but my aim is Deadly!!

Offline Chuckhunter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #8 on: 11:48 AM, 08/03/13 »
  • 1Hole, Built a 7MM-08 in 1992 with a 24" tube and worked up a load with IMR 4064 and 140 Gr. Sierra Spbt Game Kings. Shot a very nice Eastern Montana Muley @ 450 yds and when I returned to Pa. I had the barrel shortened to 21" and I hunted about 4 more years taking white tails in each until my son confiscated it around 96. He has since killed 10+ white tails since all with one shot. I can highly recommend the Sierra GK's they flat work. If you want to try something different, try the 140 Berger Hunting VLD's and let me know how they work. The 130 are pure poison out of my 6.5X47 Lapua. Good Luck and have fun experimenting.

Offline fishin-goat

• Trade Count: (+4)
    « Reply #9 on: 06:48 PM, 08/04/13 »
  •  Try Nosler Accubond,doesn't separate like the BT.
    My first deer it hit a rib on the entrance, lungs, rib on the exit and shattered the upper leg  and exited again.
    140 gr. 7 mm

Offline EOD350

• Trade Count: (+13)
    « Reply #10 on: 07:00 AM, 08/07/13 »
  • Like fishin-goat, I use the Nosler AccuBond in most all of my hunting rifles. I have not ever had one not pass through. The jacket is a bit thicker than the Nosler BT. The Partition is also an excellent bullet.

Offline normmatzen

« Reply #11 on: 01:10 AM, 08/14/13 »
  • I built a Mauser 7X57 sporter on a VZ24 action a couple years ago.  I have worked up a bunch of loads and based on reading a lot of articles, the majority favor the 140 gn Barnes solid or the 162 gn A-MAX.  The A-MAX especially is supposed to be a real killer on medium animals like the coastal Black tail I hunt here in California.  Loaded to about 2700fps, they expend all their energy for a decisive kill.  And, at that velocity, the ballistics beat most faster, lighter bullets.  I use the Barnes 140 gn TTSX at 2800fps for pigs.  Most coastal deer are shot at 40-75 yd and pigs even shorter ranges.  So, 3000 fps is not required. In fact, the 162 gn A-MAX sighted at 200 yd will kill at 300yd easily with minimal drop, 40-250 within 4" and 300 only 10" drop.
    Norm

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• Master Predator Hunting
    « Reply #12 on: 08:31 AM, 08/14/13 »
  • I spoke with a Sierra "bulletsmith" whom I have gained much respect for over the years.  He told me I want the 150 grain spitzer boat tail from Sierra as an excellent deer bullet for up close or longer ranges.  Plan to shoot a moose with one this year.
    Premium Predator Hunting Products:
    Masterpredatorhunting.com

Offline 65BR

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 11:28 PM, 08/15/13 »
  • Good posts above.  Used 140BTs, Sierra SBT, 130 SSP and SBT, 139 all on deer.  The Sierra, did well, frontal shot at 35 yds thru chest, destroyed innards, bullet found in gut pile.  Died w/in 30-50yds, from a M70 Fwt 22" about 2900mv.

I really believe the Accubond is one of the best bullets in the 7/08 and if I run one again, it will be fed ABs FWIW. 

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.