Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 69 SMK in the 223  (Read 1926 times)

Offline H2OBUG

• Trade Count: (+15)
69 SMK in the 223
« on: 08:18 PM, 07/24/13 »
  • Has anyone used the 69 SMK in the .223 for hunting pigs?
    I have some 55 sp's 52 & 53 hp's but would like to use the heavy bullet if it will expand.
    Thanks in advance for the info
    If it jams—force it –-if it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Offline 1holeaddict

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+54)
    • Ace Member
    69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #1 on: 08:31 PM, 07/24/13 »
  • Check out Noslers 64 grain Bonded bullets.
    The LESS you EXPECT in the beginning the LESS you will be DISAPPOINTED in the end.

Offline ar15topgun

69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #2 on: 08:37 PM, 07/24/13 »
  • The 62gr SMK will.

Offline MrMajestic

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #3 on: 08:57 PM, 07/24/13 »
  • 60 grain Nosler Partition and the 65 grain Sierra Game King will get the job done and although I purchased 500 Nosler 64 grain Bonded I have not tested them yet, as 1O+dict stated they should work.
    "That which does not destroy me, has made a huge tactical error"

Offline Drop Port

69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #4 on: 04:12 PM, 07/25/13 »
  • 77 smk

Offline Acme7

• Trade Count: (+9)
    69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #5 on: 10:53 PM, 07/25/13 »
  • Pigs like in wid boar? big ones can be tough might want something a little bigger if not a head shot.

Offline Exocet

• Basic Member
    69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #6 on: 06:09 AM, 07/26/13 »
  • I know you are talking about pigs, but I shot a groundhog recently with one at about 150 yards.  Killed the groundhog but punched a hole through it like an icepick would. No expansion.  Results may not be typical and probably different in a pig. 

Offline Stubb

69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #7 on: 09:07 AM, 07/26/13 »
  • I shot three groundhogs yesterday with them.  One was as big as a small pig.  I use 24 gr of 8208XBR.  The closest was 140 yards and the farthest was 210.  They work great.
    Stubb

Offline 2506

• Ace Member
    69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #8 on: 06:02 PM, 07/26/13 »
  • I shoot the 69 gr Match King in my AR 223 for ground hogs and they have always opened up with golf ball size exits. BUT! I have used Match King 150 gr and 168 gr 30 cal bullets to shoot deer and every once in a while they would ice pick through. I would also suggest using a HUNTING style bullet on porker hogs.

Offline H2OBUG

69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #9 on: 08:15 PM, 07/29/13 »
  • Anyone have a pet load for a 9 twist Savage and the 69 SMK using Varget or H4895

Offline Stubb

69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #10 on: 08:05 AM, 07/30/13 »
  • About 26gr of Varget will work.  Better start low and work up.

Offline Scotsman1

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+12)
    69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #11 on: 08:51 AM, 07/30/13 »
  • H2o, I was running 26.5 grains of 133 with the 69 SMK's. Between my my brother and I, we've "dispatched", 11 hogs, with that load. Not one has run more than ten feet.  When skinning them, the wound channel is drastic!  Shot placement is everything, but you can't go wrong with that bullet.
    Save a seal, club a Liberal!

Offline broncman

• Ace Member
    69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #12 on: 07:51 AM, 08/02/13 »
  • I will not use SMK for hunting...turn a coyote a flip with a 69 and he ran..Gamekings yes.

Have shot starlings and crows with them out to 175 yards though

Offline H2OBUG

69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #13 on: 02:30 PM, 08/05/13 »
  • thanks for the feedback

Offline spladi

• Site $$ Contributor
    69 SMK in the 223
    « Reply #14 on: 06:15 PM, 11/24/13 »
  • In a new Stevens 200 .223 with a nine inch twist barrel my load of 24.5 grains of Varget and a CCI 450 primer shoots three shot groups between two and three tenths of an inch at 100 yards with the 69 grain SMK. bullet.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.