Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: RCBS SUMMIT PRESS  (Read 3147 times)

Offline M-61

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Ace Member
  • "Quis Separabit"
RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
« on: 01:47 PM, 07/11/13 »
  • Anyone have one and how do you like it? I've read the reviews but would like some one on the sites opinion. Constantly on back order from Midway.

Offline stubbicatt

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #1 on: 07:26 PM, 07/11/13 »
  • I have one. I like it OK. I haven't conducted any particular tests. I believe that it flexes quite a bit, and it is heavy.

The one I received none of the screws/bolts were tightened. The ram flexed visibly, so I went over it and tightened all of the bolts. I believe it still flexes too much. My evidence of this is that I have to thread in a Lee FL sizing die 1 1/4 turns to get the shoulder setback where it needs to be. It may also be that I just need to tighten the bolts on the linkage further, I don't know.

The amount of force required to size 308's is quite a bit more than I would have thought would be necessary.

It seems to me it should just work, out of the box, rather than have to be tinkered with. I haven't given up on it yet, but in truth, I am disappointed. In its favor, it doesn't hang over the edge of the table.

Editor Notes:
    Stubbicatt has revised his comments and posted the following later in the thread;

I wish to convey to other contributors that this press is working very well for me now that I have figured out the issue. In fact, other than not having been properly torqued down from the factory, it never did have an issue, it works fine. I had determined to tinker with it until I had it figured out, and it has turned out that I needn't do that. I am very happy with this press.

Heck, the primer catcher alone is a plus, as it catches *every* primer. It must be emptied frequently, but it doesn't spill. :)

I wish to explicitly retract my statements concerning the degree of flex I experienced with the press, as it was caused not by the press, but by brass fired in a short chamber being too short to properly resize in a standard FL die. I do not wish for my errors which attributed my problems to this press to put someone off from buying a really nice tool.
    « Last Edit: 06:50 PM, 07/14/13 by Forum Boss »

Offline M-61

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    • "Quis Separabit"
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #2 on: 08:40 PM, 07/11/13 »
  • Thanks for the input. I was under the impression the ram was 2"in diameter so I am surprised at the flex you describe.
    I agree it should be correct out of the box. Have you called RCBS? I have 2nd thoughts about this press now.
    Again thanks.

Offline BoydAllen

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+9)
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #3 on: 08:50 PM, 07/11/13 »
  • I doubt that the column itself is flexing, more likely it is the castings that it are attached to at both ends., but in the end it doesn't matter which it is. It seems that we have come full circle. From open frame to O to open, and back to O. They all work, they just have individual characteristics that will determine which you choose. I have a turret press that I like for some applications, but it flexes more than an O press when FL sizing. I compensate by the die adjustment. Big deal...

Offline milo-2

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #4 on: 08:57 PM, 07/11/13 »
  • M-61
    A friend bought one, after we cleaned the grease off the thing, and played with it, got dies set etc. I was impressed, it acted as though things would self center, on the order of the co-ax press. Talked to the guy days later, he informed me while sizing about 500 pieces of brass, all the set screws came loose, the ram was loose, and other key parts. I had to see this, after inspection, there's set screws in places one can't imagine!!

He retightened stuff, I asked if he centered stuff with a die and a case installed, he said no, I don't know how you could realign things without some support?????

I'm going out on a limb here, but for something that seemed to have a ton of promise, I would look for something better.

Offline Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #5 on: 10:04 PM, 07/11/13 »
  • A Co-Ax isn't inexpensive and needs some fiddling, too. I have one and like it a lot. It is not good in all applications. I have Warner Tool sizing dies that require a 1 1/4 - 12 thread which will not work in the Co-Ax. So, I had to buy a big O-frame.
    « Last Edit: 09:38 AM, 07/23/14 by Steve Blair »
    Sleepygator

Offline ReedG

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #6 on: 10:06 PM, 07/11/13 »
  • I rate the design of the Summit press an idea that came and went in the '60s. With all the quality stuff RCBS makes, I'm puzzled by what prompted them to design and market it.
    Reed Garfield

Offline gotcha

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #7 on: 12:04 AM, 07/12/13 »
  • Ditto!

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #8 on: 05:07 AM, 07/12/13 »
  • A 22 year old neighbor of mine mentioned something in a conversation yesterday, that there is trend in "going retro", possibly this is the reason that they came out with this press.

Offline CatShooter

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #9 on: 05:35 AM, 07/12/13 »
  • A 22 year old neighbor of mine mentioned something in a conversation yesterday, that there is trend in "going retro", possibly this is the reason that they came out with this press.

The Summit takes RCBS one giant leap...

... backwards!!

Mechanically, it is a copy of the first Hollywood press of the late 1940s (which failed, even then).

When I first saw the Summit, I was astounded that RCBS would go backward like that.

It is a single "Knee" leverage system, with less than 1/4 the power of the swinging compound lever system of the RockChucker (and a whole lot cheaper to make), and it has more spring and flex than a "C" press...

... and unlike the old C presses and the original Hollywood of the past, there is no way to brace the front of the press to give it rigidity for tough chores.

It looks kewl, but mechanically, it is a big step backwards.

« Last Edit: 05:53 AM, 07/12/13 by CatShooter »
    CatShooter.
    Spring has sprung, da' creek has riz, I wonder where dem kitties is?
    Here Kitty, kitty, kitty.

Offline M-61

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    • "Quis Separabit"
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #10 on: 11:25 AM, 07/12/13 »
  • Thanks for the input. NOTHING positive at all. The RETRO comment may be valid in my case. Too many years ago I had a Hollywood Senior.(not a turret). Sold it for a RCBS A-4 in the early 80's.(still use it). I may have been attracted to the Summit through nostalgia.....anyway I think I'll pass now on it. Funny, comments were made regarding need of more force than one would think, and yet RCBS sells an OPTIONAL SHORTER arm.

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #11 on: 03:33 PM, 07/12/13 »
  • The critics should actually use one.

We have been using one for a month and encountered zero problems

-- Plenty of power to size cases. Plenty.

-- "it has more spring and flex than a 'C' press" -- I have no idea why this is suggested. The press we have is plenty rigid. We are holding tolerances as well as an "O" press, including base to ogive and concentricity measured on the bullet. The die-holder head moves straight down. Makes straight, repeatable ammo. We have not encountered a flex problem. See for yourself in the video we put up.

-- "It is [too] heavy" -- Compared to what? It is lighter and smaller than a rockchucker and is much more portable.

-- "Mechanically, it is a copy of the first Hollywood press of the late 1940s... unlike the old C presses and the original Hollywood of the past, there is no way to brace the front of the press to give it rigidity for tough chores" -- This press is NOT a clone of the Hollywood. The Summit moves the die down to the cartridge, not vice versa. The two mounting bolts for the press are in the FRONT. The press is very stable.

In this instance I suggest that individuals who have not touched the press, installed it on a bench, or loaded a single round on it reserve their UNINFORMED negative comments until they have first-hand experience actually making ammo with the Summit.

NOTE: I am NOT referring to those who have actually tested the press and found it not to their liking -- their comments are welcome. Although based on the unit we have used, I am somewhat puzzled at some of these comments as well.

The bottom line here is that the guy who did our review likes the Summit so much that he plans to use it alongside his RCBS Rockchucker IV. If Mark didn't really like the Summit press it would be back in a box on my doorstep. He is keeping it and using it to load match ammo.

Summit Press (Die moves down, links not hinged in middle)

Hollywood Press (Cartridge/case moves up, completely different kind of linkage)
    « Last Edit: 06:55 PM, 07/12/13 by Forum Boss »

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #12 on: 03:44 PM, 07/12/13 »
  • Ha, happy to see someone support the press - I was beginning to wonder!  :) :o

We've yet to get a single example in the UK, but I've a promise of a loan of one from GMK, our RCBS / CCI etc importer for review for British handloaders, as soon as a shipment is received.

I found it really difficult to believe that RCBS could have got such a major introduction wrong, and now look forward to trying one myself.

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #13 on: 04:02 PM, 07/12/13 »
  • Ha, happy to see someone support the press - I was beginning to wonder!  :) :o

I found it really difficult to believe that RCBS could have got such a major introduction wrong, and now look forward to trying one myself.

Laurie,
    There certainly can be variances in production line tolerances and assembly quality that might appear in some units. Maybe we got a "better than average" Summit. But I also wonder whether some of the "early adopters" who aren't happy have installed and lubricated the press properly. All I can say is that we loaded ammo with the exact same dies (and components) on both a Rockchucker and a Summit and we were very pleased with the results from the Summit. As with any new product, we were skeptical. But the press actually exceeded our expectations. Comparing Rockchucker vs. Summit:

Control over headspace (shoulder bump) -- no discernable difference -- both excellent

Uniformity of cartridge base to ogive -- no discernable difference -- both excellent

Concentricity of loaded rounds (measured on both necks and bullet ogive) -- no discernable difference (.002 average on bullet with both presses)

Ease of Use -- edge to the Summit because of open front, compact footprint and simpler, more reliable spent primer capture system.

Results on target -- In F-Class matches, higher score was shot with Summit loaded ammo (but of course there are many other variables at play.) We certainly saw no evidence that any ammo accuracy was sacrificed with the Summit.

I should add that we were loading for the .284 Winchester with dies that provided a very good match to the chamber and rounds did not have to be aggressively FL-sized. Perhaps if someone is trying to resize blownout brass from a SAAMI chamber a press with more leverage might seem better. But as far as we were concerned, there was no need for more leverage whatsoever.
    « Last Edit: 04:24 PM, 07/12/13 by Forum Boss »

Offline ridgeway

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+63)
    • Ace Member
    RCBS SUMMIT PRESS
    « Reply #14 on: 04:54 PM, 07/12/13 »
  • Is this press manufactured in the US?
    Chuck
    chuck at ridgewaybodies dot com
    Custom Savage Bolt Handles

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.