Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: .221 Fireball vs 20 Vartarg??..........  (Read 2477 times)

Offline lyle1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
.221 Fireball vs 20 Vartarg??..........
« on: 10:19 AM, 07/08/13 »
  • I sure could use everyones' help. I currently own a couple of semi-custom Sako 75 .223 varmint rifles. I have also recently acquired a .222 Sako 75 Varmint laminate.  I am looking for a 200 yard target/varmint gun with less recoil/blast than a .223 and a fun overall gun. My thoughts were that the .222 is too close to my current .223 rifles ballistically.  I am considering either re-chambering
    the .222 to a .221 Fireball as that barrel only has 100 rounds through it, or buying a new barrel and making a 20 Vartarg.  I am not interested in shooting over 200 yards with this rifle, so I would just like the most accuracy possible.
    Any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated....

Offline johnmyers

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+42)
    « Reply #1 on: 11:14 AM, 07/08/13 »
  • Todd Kindler at The Woodchuck Den would be the guy to talk to. He has alot of experience with the VT and would be happy to help you, he says the VT is a 221 on steroids. Hope this helps.

Online bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 11:49 AM, 07/08/13 »
  • i have had a number of 221's and never disapointed

dont knowthe vt
    Bob

Online boltman223

• Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #3 on: 12:26 PM, 07/08/13 »
  • I love my 221fb's, I have two. It is great out to 200 yards and I have no problem with using it out to 300. I have also shot cities that far too with no problem.

If it was me and I already had a .224 barrel I would definitely go with a 221.
    Extra parts, No I'm just smarter than the engineers

Offline Bangs, OH

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #4 on: 12:49 PM, 07/08/13 »
  • I like your thinking (and your choice of rifles, Lyle). I have 2 rifles in .221, a Cooper M38 and Rem. LVSF; the latter seems to be begging for a "change". The .20 VarTarg would be the natural choice, and I'm down the road from Kindler's place should any problems arise. But, then again, one has to wonder "what for". I own .204Rs now, and the .221s slot right in between them and a .22 Hornet. The largest groundhog I ever shot was by a FB at 265 yards (he was straight up, and I wouldn't want anyone to expect that at much over 1/2 that range on a shoulder-shot, hunched-over 'hog from that round.) I appreciate the heavier, slightly slower bullets for that type of game; a pd or ground squirrel man might like the faster .20 and the few more yards for those little buggers. Likewise on accuracy: I can live with maybe 1/3 more m.o.a. than a well-tuned .20 VT; but at any rate these rounds are direct offspring of one of the most inherently-accurate rounds ever, the .222 Remington.
       Frankly, something like a .19/221 sounds more intriguing and "different" than the VT. Just might give Calhoon a call...

Offline JohnHenry

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+70)
    « Reply #5 on: 01:36 PM, 07/08/13 »
  • lyle1, Shoot all four of the cartridges that you mention. They are all great cartridges. I would stick with the 222 for now and wait and see if Lapua comes out with 221 brass at the 2014 Shot Show as they have been hinting. That quality Lapua brass will spoil one. One could consider re-chambering or re-barreling at that time. The shorter fireball/vartarg cartridges may not feed from the magazine if that is important to you. Also, 222 starting loads are quite comparable to 221 max loads.
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3815834.msg36229894#msg36229894
    « Last Edit: 02:07 PM, 07/08/13 by JohnHenry »
    John

Offline Rick in Oregon

« Reply #6 on: 03:24 PM, 07/08/13 »
  • Lyle, I have all three calibers based on the 221FB case (221FB, 17 Mach IV, 20VT), been shooting varmints for almost five decades, and can say without hesitation that the 20 Vartarg is by far the sweetest varmint caliber I've ever had the pleasure of working with.  Todd bugged me for five years to build one, and once I did, I wish I had done it sooner.

In my safe are 223's of all flavors including the Ackley version, various 204's, all the way down to the 17 Ackley Hornet, but my Cooper 20VT is by far and away my favorite of the lot, and I work mine in the rat patch out to 500 yards on ground squirrels here, so 200 yard precision is a given with this little caliber.

Brass is easy to form from 221FB cases, any 223 or 222 case if you're willing to do some work.  Lapua makes 222 brass, as well as Norma/Nosler for 221FB, so preminum brass is available now if you feel it's necessary.  If/when Lapua comes out with 221FB brass, all the better.

Here's an example of typical accuracy with the 20VT (32gr SBK/18.5grs RL-7, Rem 7.5 Primer) shot with formed and annealed R-P 221FB brass:

As far as a field cartridge, here's the end of a decent morning here locally recently with my Cooper M38 VR 20VT on rock chucks.  The results should speak for themselves.....

Zero recoil, see all your hits/misses, very mild report, miserly on powder (18~grs for 3,750 fps) effective out to 500 yards and shoot all day w/o cleaning or heating the barrel with no loss of accuracy.  To me, it's about the 'perfect varmint cartridge'.  What's not to like?    :)
    « Last Edit: 04:09 PM, 07/08/13 by Rick in Oregon »

Offline lyle1

• Basic Member
    « Reply #7 on: 09:23 PM, 07/08/13 »
  • Thank you to all that responded to my questions.  You all have provided me with a whole bunch of new information.....If I decide to use my repeater Sako 75 for the project, does anyone have experience with the Fireball case in a detachable magazine?

Offline th82457

• Trade Count: (+19)
    « Reply #8 on: 04:16 AM, 07/09/13 »
  • I have a 20 VT in a CZ 527 with a straight line clip and have not had any trouble feeding from the magazine. It was originally a .221 Fireball though, so clip length basically matched the Vartarg requirements. I have tried nearly every varmint round and for targets or small varmints - I always reach for the Vartarg - just plain fun to shoot and very consistently accurate.

Good Luck !
                      Terry

Offline JohnHenry

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+70)
    « Reply #9 on: 05:58 AM, 07/09/13 »
  • I had a Sako L46 in 222. Tried feeding both 221 Fireball and 20 Vartarg from the 222 detachable magazine. Neither fed satisfactorily with my rifle. May want to consider a 20 cal. based on the 222 e.g., 20-222 or others in the attached link.  http://tripledeuce.net/Cartridge_Comparisons_0SJN.php 
    Also, may want to visit www.saubier.com for small caliber info. They will help you spend your money.
    « Last Edit: 06:18 AM, 07/09/13 by JohnHenry »
    John

Offline hedditch

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    « Reply #10 on: 06:00 AM, 07/09/13 »
  • Another vote for the 20 Vartarg.  Mine is in a Cooper Mod 21 with a beautiful piece of wood.  20 grs of h322 with a 40 gr Berger Varminnt Match.
    Last three, five shot groups, .377, .377, ,177.
    Dave
    David R. Hedditch

Offline stacy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 06:29 PM, 07/09/13 »
  • I have both 222 and 221FB BUT the 200yd range love the 221FB it quite and BAD with 40gr bergers and H 4227.222 GREAT ROUND I LIKE IT FOR LONGER SHOTS.

Offline lyle1

• Basic Member
    « Reply #12 on: 11:24 AM, 07/10/13 »
  • Thanks guys...Lets' say I was using this rifle for target shooting only....for pure accuracy shooting, shooting at 100 and 200 yards, is the .221 Fireball just as accurate as the 20 Vartarg?  What sort of accuracy can I expect?  I know the bullet drop and energy levels are higher for the Vartarg but I will only shoot this up to 200 yards, most like just at paper as I will use my other rifles for field/varmint work....

Offline phil

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+65)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 03:55 PM, 07/10/13 »
  • Paper punching only.....378 bolt face.......222.

Offline NorCalMikie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 05:00 PM, 07/10/13 »
  • .221 Fireball will make bigger (and easier to see) holes than the 20 VT but both are "deadly accurate".
    Tough call. Build both. 8)
    OZ never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.