Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Reloading record keeping software  (Read 1484 times)

Offline paperpuncher

• Trade Count: (+7)
Reloading record keeping software
« on: 10:08 AM, 06/30/13 »
  • I would like to start storing and organizing my reloading data and results on my pc. Are there any good programs available to help organize and store my info on the pc. Im hoping to find something user friendly and not overly complicated TIA

Online jlow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 10:42 AM, 06/30/13 »
  • It really depends on what you want it for.

For precision reloading, I use an Excel spreadsheet with a template that I created.  It helps me keep track of all my weights (brass, primer, bullets, powder) and measurements (neck thickness, neck diameter, headspace, brass length, OAL, concentricity, MV, etc), calculate differentials (prime case vs. prime case with powder) to check powder weights and calculate stats such as average, range, SDEV, max, min, N size) for each of the above variables.  I also enter into the sheet results such as group MOA, Temp, humidity, Baro, altitude, scope elevation and windage.

The other nice thing about using Excel is how easy it is to expand and contract the sheet to accommodate the number of rounds you are dealing with on each session, plus you can put in text which describe the rationale for the shoot.

Offline BikeEffects

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: 05:21 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • I created what became an Excel spreadsheet before there were Excel spreadsheets. It has been an ever evolving sheet and has all the data that I track. This, along with QuickLOAD keeps me in record keeping heaven   

Offline paperpuncher

• Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #3 on: 05:51 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • I havent worked with excel so Im not sure it would be a great option for me I was hoping for something plug and play. Ill check out quick load

Online jlow

• Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 07:10 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • If you have not worked with Excel, it may or may not be the way to go for you depending mostly on how fast you pick up how to use software. 

FWIW, Excel can of course be as complicated as you make it but for the super simple calculations that we do in reloading, I would categorize it only as Excel 1001 and if you are not intimidated by computer software may find that it is relatively easy to learn.

Offline Nomad47

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    • Oops!
    « Reply #5 on: 08:07 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • I, too, created an excel "book" for all my record keeping.  The book has multiple sheets and some of the sheets have 63 columns. 
    I also use QuickLoad.
    Bill, Retired, AZ/OH
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DRNewcomb

« Reply #6 on: 08:10 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • I havent worked with excel so Im not sure it would be a great option for me I was hoping for something plug and play. Ill check out quick load
    Long ago as a geek, programmer, etc. I didn't use spreadsheets. Those were the tools of the dreaded "bean counters" and beneath my dignity to use.
    Then I sort of forced myself to learn how to use them and never looked back. A really great tool, in general.

I got RSI Shooting Lab along with my CED chronograph. It has a pretty good system for keeping track of your reloads, although  the organization of the various pages and windows takes some getting used to. Not a bad bit of software, all in all.
    Donald Newcomb

Offline ReedG

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 08:14 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • I also use Excel spreadsheets for my reloading data. If you are not spreadsheet savvy, take a look at Rob's Reloading Organizer. It's a pretty good set-up for what it does.

http://www.robsoft.nu/rro3_en/default.asp
    Reed Garfield

Offline Phil3

• Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 08:48 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • Excel can work well and can be designed to provide very good information.  I am working on something now.  But, I am also looking to design something in Microsoft Access, a relational database.  With this you can do queries, pulling up exactly the info you need.  Relational database theory takes some time to grasp (and I am still grasping), but ultimately I think this could work well. 

Phil

Offline DRNewcomb

« Reply #9 on: 07:07 AM, 07/01/13 »
  • Excel can work well and can be designed to provide very good information.  I am working on something now.  But, I am also looking to design something in Microsoft Access, a relational database.  With this you can do queries, pulling up exactly the info you need.  Relational database theory takes some time to grasp (and I am still grasping), but ultimately I think this could work well. 
    You can start out in Excel and move the data into Access. The advantage of the Relational Database over the spreadsheet comes when you get a lot of empty cells in a large spreadsheet, you want form-based entry, you need one-to-many relationships, etc. Spreadsheets work well when every entry has exactly the same data and you deal with reasonably sized lists. If you get over a few thousand lines (rows) in a spreadsheet it becomes unwieldy.
    Donald Newcomb

Offline TominSWNY

• Trade Count: (+28)
    « Reply #10 on: 06:07 PM, 07/01/13 »
  • I use Filemaker Pro data base.

Offline Phil3

• Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 06:39 PM, 07/01/13 »
    You can start out in Excel and move the data into Access. The advantage of the Relational Database over the spreadsheet comes when you get a lot of empty cells in a large spreadsheet, you want form-based entry, you need one-to-many relationships, etc. Spreadsheets work well when every entry has exactly the same data and you deal with reasonably sized lists. If you get over a few thousand lines (rows) in a spreadsheet it becomes unwieldy.

Not only empty cells, but also redundant data, which leads to errors.  It has been said that Access users are frustrated Excel users. 

Phil

Offline Phil3

• Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 06:41 PM, 07/01/13 »
  • I use Filemaker Pro data base.

I tried it once and from what I saw, easier to learn than Access.  And was getting more close to a true relational database, which now years later, it probably is.  I have Access now, so nothing to buy, I just have to get to using it.  If you don't mind, what data fields are you using.  Might help me with Access.  Or you can PM me.   

Phil

Offline dickn52

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+13)
    « Reply #13 on: 10:07 PM, 07/01/13 »
  • I never got the hang of Access and trying to determine my 'key' field for search patterns.  I do ok to fine in Excel.  Off topic, but I had a boss one time who built monstrous spreadsheets.  She once asked me why no one understood her work at meetings.  I told her to graph it....deer..headlights..  She never knew that excel was specifically designed to graph data.  Back on subject now.  I'm going to look at the Rob software shown.  That looks promising to me.
    "Can someone please explain to me why I have to press '1' for English?"
    "Life is hard...it's harder if you're stupid"
    USCS 1990-2008

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.