Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Component Scarcity: Where's the Varget  (Read 4684 times)

Offline LRGoodger

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Component Scarcity: Where's the Varget
« Reply #60 on: 08:31 PM, 06/29/13 »
  • It's not the people who use it who are causing the problem.  It's the profiteers.  If they keep everything bought up, it keeps the shortage going so they can maintain their high, gouging prices and make more profit.

Offline amlevin

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #61 on: 11:22 AM, 06/30/13 »
  • It's not the people who use it who are causing the problem.  It's the profiteers.  If they keep everything bought up, it keeps the shortage going so they can maintain their high, gouging prices and make more profit.

They'll only be successful as long as the factories are behind the curve.  Eventually the profiteers will get caught with their pants down.  They'll run out of money to buy up stock (a lot was bought on credit cards no doubt), people will start finding what they need on the shelves again, and the profiteers will end up having to dump product at less than what they bought it for.

Just like speculators in Real Estate, Stocks and Bonds, etc.  When the supply returns the prices will drop to normal levels and the parasites will die off until the next panic.

Just to add, all those who poo-poo'd the idea of buying in "annual quantities" from online sources due to hazmat scaring them, doesn't seem so bad now, does it.
    « Last Edit: 11:24 AM, 06/30/13 by amlevin »

Offline jo191145

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #62 on: 11:28 AM, 06/30/13 »
  • amlevin

People afraid of hazmat are worse at math than I am ;D

Now if theres a specific powder I may want to try and in no need to stock up on other things gunshop prices aren't so bad for a lb jug. Finding that specific powder is another problem of course.
    Powder charges by Creighton Audette. Seating depths by Virgil King. Attitude by Ayn Rand =)

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #63 on: 12:03 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • amlevin

Now if theres a specific powder I may want to try and in no need to stock up on other things gunshop prices aren't so bad for a lb jug. Finding that specific powder is another problem of course.
    Spot on Joe!
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline amlevin

• Ace Member
    « Reply #64 on: 12:46 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • amlevin

You must have graduated from the same school as I did.  Where they taught us to "just keep fixing things until they're finally broken". 8)

I've quit trying the "powder of the month" hoping for a fraction better performance.  I now just take what works great (often beyond my expectations) and stock up on the items that give me that performance.  I now use only 4 powders total for rifle and one for pistol.  That lets me buy 8" jugs and not worry about either supply or "lot number".

I don't know about your local gun stores but the ones near me (closest one stocking powder and primers used to be 25 miles before a Cabela's opened up) charge enough where even ridiculous online pricing is economical.  Almost all charged at least $10/lb more for powder and as much as Double on primers.

With the Cabela's now in town I think the small dealers that were stocking at high prices are going to probably end up out of the reloading component business (or at least bring prices down to a more reasonable level).

Offline CarolinaBrass

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+27)
    « Reply #65 on: 04:36 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • I have been able to get it at palmetto state armory, might want to check them out...other than that I would say do the old backorder from midway or whomever you usually do and wait for it :(  the problems is you have the coupon clipping soccer moms now out there actively searching for ammo deals :) like .22LR and 1#powder etc or 380auto ammo, stuff like that because no one wants to be caught with their pants down again...ive even heard of people buying it who don't even have a gun....

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #66 on: 05:44 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • I have been able to get it at palmetto state armory, might want to check them out...other than that I would say do the old backorder from midway or whomever you usually do and wait for it :(  the problems is you have the coupon clipping soccer moms now out there actively searching for ammo deals :) like .22LR and 1#powder etc or 380auto ammo, stuff like that because no one wants to be caught with their pants down again...ive even heard of people buying it who don't even have a gun....

I have seen this a lot lately!
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline CarolinaBrass

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+27)
    « Reply #67 on: 06:41 PM, 06/30/13 »
  • yeah around Christmas time I was calling AR's the new "tickle me elmo" for a lot of people, who didn't have one before, didn't know what they were but who knew they needed to get them because they were hard to find...

Offline DRNewcomb

« Reply #68 on: 06:33 AM, 07/04/13 »
  • For what it's worth, I thought I had hit the "mother lode", but it turned out to be not quite so. An older club member, who used to shoot LR quite a bit but has recently cut back due to health reasons, asked if I'd help him reduce the amount of excess components in his shop. Well, you always answer that question in the affirmative but what got me interested was when he described having six 8 lb jugs of Varget.  I figured, "That will keep the local target shooters going for a few months." He also mentioned a huge stash of bulk Sierra 175s.

Well, when I got there, what I ended up bringing home was:
    1. About 7 lbs of Varget
    2. 8 lbs of Data 2200 (sealed)
    3. 11 lbs of WC-750
    4. 4 lbs H-414

I'm trying to distribute it among the local target shooters, returning a fair price to the owner. The Varget I'm keeping myself.  ;)

I'm going to keep in touch with him. Hopefully, he'll dig more out of his garage in the future.  I'm not offering to sell it here, just relating a story. I have no intention of shipping powder.
    Donald Newcomb

Offline amlevin

• Ace Member
    « Reply #69 on: 10:15 AM, 07/04/13 »
  • Hopefully, he'll dig more out of his garage in the future. 

You didn't volunteer to help him clean out his garage? :o :o

Offline DRNewcomb

« Reply #70 on: 10:18 AM, 07/04/13 »
  • Hopefully, he'll dig more out of his garage in the future. 
    You didn't volunteer to help him clean out his garage? :o :o
    Hinted around about it. I wish I had some place to put the lathe and milling machine.
    Donald Newcomb

Offline wrangler5

• Basic Member
    « Reply #71 on: 10:48 AM, 07/04/13 »
  • Related news:  My local reloading store has had a 100/day limit on primers, which recently went to 200 (two boxes rubber banded together.)  Yesterday they had cartons (1000) on the shelf.  When I asked if I could buy more than one, he said yes as long as I didn't clean him out.  So I picked up 3000 Remington 7 1/2s, which is more than I have Varget for at the moment.

Now my shortage will be bullets.

BTW, last night I got an email notification from Midway that they had Remington 7.5 primers in stock and they were not sold out when I immediately clicked on the link.  I checked again about 10 minutes later, just to see how long they would last, and they were sold out.  But compared to just a month or so ago, supply is up or demand is down, or both - at least a little bit.

Offline jo191145

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #72 on: 01:41 PM, 07/04/13 »
  • amlevin

You must have graduated from the same school as I did.  Where they taught us to "just keep fixing things until they're finally broken". 8)

I've quit trying the "powder of the month" hoping for a fraction better performance.  I now just take what works great (often beyond my expectations) and stock up on the items that give me that performance.  I now use only 4 powders total for rifle and one for pistol.  That lets me buy 8" jugs and not worry about either supply or "lot number".

I don't know about your local gun stores but the ones near me (closest one stocking powder and primers used to be 25 miles before a Cabela's opened up) charge enough where even ridiculous online pricing is economical.  Almost all charged at least $10/lb more for powder and as much as Double on primers.

With the Cabela's now in town I think the small dealers that were stocking at high prices are going to probably end up out of the reloading component business (or at least bring prices down to a more reasonable level).

Almost the same school. My alma mater was "tweak it until you burn it out". Otherwise known as the ''Church of the Holey Target" ;D

Theres a lot to be said for experimenting if your willing and able to develop theories on what a specific rifle is telling you. We all search for the powder a rifle likes. Why? Because they're not all the same. There are reasons a specific barrel is happy with a specific powder. Education is never cheap. I have my "go to" powders now also. If my theories tell me a new rifle might like X and I don't have it. I'll buy it. Within 15 rds or so I'll know if it was worth it.
    « Last Edit: 01:43 PM, 07/04/13 by jo191145 »
    Powder charges by Creighton Audette. Seating depths by Virgil King. Attitude by Ayn Rand =)

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.