Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: What is a good long range .243 bullet for a 1:9.25 twist  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Master Predator Hunting
105 Amax will not stabalize.  Not a fan of Berger's for killing power.  Open to all other suggestions.  My gun is very fussy unfortunately.   ???
Premium Predator Hunting Products:
Masterpredatorhunting.com

Offline fredhorace77

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Ace Member
What is a good long range .243 bullet for a 1:9.25 twist
« Reply #1 on: 09:38 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • depends on what you call long range. long range for me is anything over 200 yards. 87 vmax is good. so is noslers BT's

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

« Reply #2 on: 09:41 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • Sorry...I am looking for a bullet to kill deer from 1 to 500 yards.  Killed deer with the Nosler Ballistic Tip and was impressed.  Just afraid this bullet will splash on a shoulder bone.

Offline fredhorace77

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 09:46 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • from my expirence bullets tend to perform different at different velocities...if a bullet does perform well at 100...alot times it doesn't perform so well at 500. finding one bullet to react the same on a given target from 1 yard to 500 yards is asking alot.

I recommend you decide on what distance will be your most common shot and decide where your most likely to put that shot at on the animal and go from there...a bullet that works good in the lung area may not be suited for a shoulder(bone) shot.  If you have trouble hitting lung only or shoulder only...you need more practice. 
    « Last Edit: 09:50 PM, 05/24/13 by fredhorace77 »

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

« Reply #4 on: 10:10 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • Guess I was thinking of a bullet with a fair ballistic coeffient, heavy, and something with the ability to penetrate enough if I hit a shoulder at 300 yards.    90% of shots will be 30-300 yards.  All shots will be on deer.

Killed deer in the .243 with a couple different bullets and felt a Nosler Ballistic Tip was very good.  However, I am afraid it would only splash way out there...especially on a bone.  On the other extreme might be a partition.  Not sure if my thinking is right but would an SST be in the middle?
    « Last Edit: 10:12 PM, 05/24/13 by Seeking_Coyotes »

Offline Erik Cortina

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+19)
    • Ace Member
    • Team Lapua-Brux Captain
      • Xtreme Concrete
    « Reply #5 on: 10:36 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • I recommended you try the 85 gr. Interbond, have you considered it?
    Member - Lapua Team USA
    At some point, the shooter becomes the limiting factor in accuracy!

Offline fredhorace77

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 10:39 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • if i had to choose one bullet for those distances on deer with a fairly good BC id personaly pick the 85gr. Barnes Triple Shock.  Seeing as the bullet is solid copper it would have the demisions of a heavier bullet...your still shooting an 85gr. bullet with the dimensions of ...lets say a 90gr. bullet.  other great choices would have to be the GameKing line of bullets from Sierra IMO

Offline fredhorace77

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 10:40 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • I recommended you try the 85 gr. Interbond, have you considered it?

+1 ...another very good choice...one of the nicest things about 6mm...is that the bullet selection is almost endless

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

« Reply #8 on: 10:47 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • Erik, I have seriously kicked around the idea of the Interbond for the .243 with what I am looking to do.  Shoot deer from 1-500 yards.  Looking at the Nosler Web site they only seem to b e offered in 90 grain in the 6mm.  What makes you recommend this particular bullet?

Offline Taildrag15X

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+31)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 11:17 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • depends on what you call long range. long range for me is anything over 200 yards. 87 vmax is good. so is noslers BT's

+1 for Hornady 87gr. VMax for deer, I've used 4350, R-15 and Varget.
    Mike

F-Class High Master

Offline fredhorace77

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 11:27 PM, 05/24/13 »
  • Erik, I have seriously kicked around the idea of the Interbond for the .243 with what I am looking to do.  Shoot deer from 1-500 yards.  Looking at the Nosler Web site they only seem to b e offered in 90 grain in the 6mm.  What makes you recommend this particular bullet?

I think you've got those two different bullets mixed. hornady makes the internond and noslers makes the accubond. IMSMC

Offline Erik Cortina

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+19)
    • Ace Member
    • Team Lapua-Brux Captain
      • Xtreme Concrete
    « Reply #11 on: 11:33 PM, 05/24/13 »

I think you've got those two different bullets mixed. hornady makes the internond and noslers makes the accubond. IMSMC

Correct.
    Member - Lapua Team USA
    At some point, the shooter becomes the limiting factor in accuracy!

Offline expiper

• Trade Count: (+23)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 02:04 AM, 05/25/13 »
  • deer seeking,,,,Im amazed that no one has mentioned Sierra 100 gr SBT (1560),,,its seems to be lost among a forest of hpyer/mono/duo/extra/platnum/etc bullets.(forget the speer BC they just arent as accurate!!)...this one has killed deer since the .243 was invented,,it is readily available/cheep (haha)/good BC (mid 400's),,,,,,if it doesnt do the job,,,you hit em in the butt,,if your rifle wont shoot these it aint "fussy",,it just wont shoot!!!,,,,Roger
    « Last Edit: 11:14 AM, 05/25/13 by expiper »
    Broken Down Plumber..Still throwin LEAD
    Confucius Says "dimmest ink is brighter than the brightest memory"

Offline raythemanroe

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 05:00 AM, 05/25/13 »
  • I have shot a lot of deer with a 95g ballistic tip, I have tried 70g hollow's and 90g bullets and feel the 95g have just enough to put them down! I haven't used anything lighter then 105g in my 1-8 twist Hart though..
    Long time shooter beginning my road into precision!

Offline WyleWD

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 05:37 AM, 05/25/13 »
  • Having shot a fair number of deer with a 243 over the years I have 2 favorites.  #1 by far and away is the 85gr Sierra HPBT. It is consistent, accurate, and I've never had one ruin a lot of meat.    #2 would be the 95gr Hornady SST.  I haven't shot as many deer with it as the Sierra, but it too is accurate and does a good job.  I did have one ruin a few more pounds of meat than I'd like, but also didn't have to track him more than 5 yds either.  ;) 

As far as 500yds, well, you're on your own there.  Personally I think that is too far for a 243 and about 99% of shooters/ hunters.... but.....again that is just my humble opinion.  :-\ WD

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.