Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Hodgdon LilGun in .22 K-Hornet  (Read 2182 times)

Offline ReedG

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Ace Member
Hodgdon LilGun in .22 K-Hornet
« on: 03:46 PM, 05/19/13 »
  • Anyone have experience with LilGun in a .22 K-Hornet. Load data and the guy I got the rifle from say about 13.0 to 13.5 gr. with  40-gr. bullet with shoot "tiny groups". I started with 11.8 and worked up to 13.8 in .2-gr. increments. My first time at the range with 12 three-shot groups was a best of 4" at 50 yards. Went home, took off stock and checked out bedding, retorqued the screws and verified properly floated barrel. Took off the scope and put on one of my 36X Weavers. Went back to range with four three-shot loads of 12.8, 13.2 and 13.6. Sighted the scope with Hornet factory ammo which gave me three shots into .75" at 50 yds. without trying. Proceeded to shoot my four groups with a best of 3" at 50 yds. Literally can't get two shots in the same county! Something is wrong.

Went home, did another set of four three-shot loads and back to the range with the Chrony, hoping it would show me something to help figure out the total lack of accuracy. First shot through the Chrony with 13.5 of LilGun behind 40-gr. Vmax showed 3,710 fps!! Great I'm thinking, now the Chrony is going crazy. Next shot was 3,690. I actually shot 10 rounds which were all over 3,600 and went into a 6" group at 100 yds. No pressure signs, no flattened primers, nothing.

The only other powder I have on hand that will work in a K-Hornet is H4198. Went to the range the next day with a bunch of loads from 11.5 to 13.8 (all I can get in the case). These all Chrony'd between 2,300 and 2,800 with some three-shot groups at 100 yds. less than an inch.

It seems something unusual is going on with the LilGun. Investigation shows that the cap of the Harrell's powder bottle is coated with powder and an oily substance. Also, inside the powder trickler is an oily coating and powder granules. This is not static cling, it is oily. Anybody every experience this?

Reed Garfield

Offline stacy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 04:03 PM, 05/19/13 »
  • REED
    I shot 13.5 grs of LILGUN in a standard 22 hornet w/a 35gr HP berger that thing is bad on varmints

Offline LHSmith

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 04:12 PM, 05/19/13 »
  • I just bought some Lil Gun for a .221 Fireball with so-so results. I noticed the powder is a PITA to handle, but I attributed it to static and I remember flake powder being not too user friendly. In the future, I will not be putting it through my Harrells measure because of this.

Offline SeabeeKen

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #3 on: 04:16 PM, 05/19/13 »
  • Never tried it in a K hornet but my Ruger in 22 Hornet loves the stuff. Seems to be a very potent powder.

Offline ARW

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+12)
    « Reply #4 on: 04:18 PM, 05/19/13 »
  • I also tried lilgun in my 221 Fireball, mostly because I read how others really liked it in that caliber. It shot ok but RL-7 was the better powder in my particular rifle. One thing I did notice was pressure really went up with only a small increase in powder charge with the lilgun. 
    The three best words you can hear when it's your turn to shoot!  "I see one"

Offline SeabeeKen

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #5 on: 04:21 PM, 05/19/13 »
  • Lil-Gun is high energy stuff. I also hear it is hard on barrels when shooting quickly.

Offline BigDMT

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 04:21 PM, 05/19/13 »
  • Just because someone else's rifle likes Lil Gun, doesn't mean yours will. If it shoots that bad, but good with factory ammo and 4198, then there's nothing wrong, your gun just won't shoot that powder.

My hornet shot pretty decent with it, but the best accuracy in my rifle was with Alliant 2400.
    Do not pray for an easier life. Pray to be stronger men.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+19)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 09:27 PM, 05/19/13 »
  • Something most reloaders don't know about Lil'Gun is that the coating on the powder grains will react with aluminum, maybe some other light metals, and it will react with acrylic as used for powder measure reservoirs on popular brand measures. That is why I quit using it, though I got pretty good results with it on target. For the hornets, I don't think you can do better than Alliant 300MP if you can find some. It is a very fine ball powder, even finer than AA1680, but has none of the oddball characteristics of LG, and the burn rate is perfect for the 22 Hornet type cartridges. If you can't find any of that, try some H110, 2400 or IMR4227, lots of hornet shooters like those also.
    Joe Entrekin

Offline Outrider27

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #8 on: 12:43 AM, 05/21/13 »
  • Something most reloaders don't know about Lil'Gun is that the coating on the powder grains will react with aluminum, maybe some other light metals, and it will react with acrylic as used for powder measure reservoirs on popular brand measures. That is why I quit using it, though I got pretty good results with it on target. For the hornets, I don't think you can do better than Alliant 300MP if you can find some. It is a very fine ball powder, even finer than AA1680, but has none of the oddball characteristics of LG, and the burn rate is perfect for the 22 Hornet type cartridges. If you can't find any of that, try some H110, 2400 or IMR4227, lots of hornet shooters like those also.

In addition to the above, within the limits of what you have on hand or can get locally, experiment with different brands of primer, including small pistol primers. Some Hornet/K Hornet shooters swear by the substitution of small pistol primers for accuracy loads with some powders. My K Hornet likes H4227 and CCI small rifle or Rem 7 1/2 primers, but you never know until you try. I've noticed that in their #14 reloading manual Speer switched to small pistol primers for all powders in the regular Hornet, though they still seem to use small rifle primers for the K Hornet loads (which appear in the pistol section because of the K Hornet Contender barrels).

Offline watercam

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+16)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 07:58 AM, 05/21/13 »
  • FWIW H110 is stellar in the Hornet...
    watercam

Offline Rbreb13

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 01:42 PM, 05/22/13 »
  • I have KHornet in a Ruger 77/22 All Weather. Haven't tried Lil Gun. Mine seems to like H110 or AA1680 the best so I haven't had a reason to switch.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.