Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Muskrat in pond  (Read 1355 times)

Offline wmdron

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
Muskrat in pond
« on: 04:08 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • I have a muskrat in one of my ponds and would like to eliminate him before I get a leak. I know where his den is and I've seen him a couple of times when I wasn't armed but I am having a dickens of a time getting a shot at this thing. Anyone have any experience with this as my groundhog tactics don't seem to be working. I guess I could trap him out ?

Offline timeout

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+70)
    • Ace Member
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #1 on: 06:07 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • Trapping would be the best way to eliminate your problem. I would bet that there will be more than one. I am not familiar with Maryland trapping laws. The most popular traps for muskrats are body grips and colony traps. If the den hole that you found is the only one in the pond (highly unlikely), you could place eithe a 160 body grip or a colony trap in front of the den. They can be caught with foot traps where they are entering/exiting the water, baited floated sets and a host of other ways. You can usually see small "channels" in the water where they are swimming from den to food source. These are ideal locations for body grips or colony traps. Muskrats are known to travel across land in the spring and wind up in new places. These are called runners. They're super easy to trap. 

Offline rmist

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #2 on: 06:09 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • If you have ONE you have  a lot more than that !!!!! Conibear (110) traps in front of the den hole staked fast by crossing the anchor sticks and tie the chain off with wire. Or wait til dusk and blast away !! Most states have a season. They will play havoc on your pond walls. Good luck.
    Job not complete until all implied tasks are completed !

Offline timeout

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #3 on: 06:29 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • You are correct, 110's not 160,s. Being mainly a coon guy, I misspoke. I did take 33 muskrats from a small stretch of my creek last fall tho  :)

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • There's no rest for the wicked......I'm tired
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #4 on: 07:03 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • 69 SMK eviscerates them.
    Molon Labe, Aim small, miss small, When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first
    I have no wish to battle anyone.  Let not desire be confused with ability.

Offline hydenseek

• Trade Count: (+9)
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #5 on: 07:14 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • An ear of corn inside a crab pot, put pot underwater

Online people

• Ace Member
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #6 on: 07:17 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • 69 SMK eviscerates them.

A 7mm STW with 140's work really well also and close does count with it.
    They say “I am pro hunter.”  Means they do not care about your handguns or your AR-15.
    They say “I am progun but why do you have to have a 15 or 30 rd mag.” They are antigun.
    Are you progun or antigun?

Offline wmdron

• Site $$ Contributor
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #7 on: 07:27 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • I was afraid that I would hear that there are probably more than one, makes sense though. First I am going to sit on the hill above my pond at dusk for a couple days and give it a go. Thanks for telling me that there might be a season as I was assuming that they could be hunted or trapped anytime. I better check,  here in Maryland the penalty for shooting or trapping a muskrat out of season might be worse than homicide. If all else fails it's the Conibear 110's for me. Thanks for all the current advice and for any hints that anyone has. Ron...

Offline nosualc

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #8 on: 07:36 AM, 05/01/13 »
  • I had this same problem last summer. They are destructive little critters; they've did quite a job on the banks of my ponds. I have no experience with traps and have a dog, so I didn't trap them.

I have neighbors a few hundred yards away, was worried about ricochets and don't care to skin and stretch hides, so I had to resort to a 12 ga. Works great.

Calm mornings and evenings when the sun is out tend to bring em out in the open.
    They're pretty skittish, so you have to use cover or a blind. If you spook one, call it a day, you won't see it again that day.

I ended up shooting 10, there was seemingly no end to 'em.

If I have more this summer, I'll learn to trap. Too much time.

-nosualc
    "Were we nuts when we pointed to the moon? We went up there and you know what we got? Bored."

Offline timeout

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #9 on: 01:42 PM, 05/01/13 »
  • Traps are on the job 24/7. A good trapper will clean most any game out far faster and more efficiently than hunting. And then with the ammo and component scarcity  ;D ;D ;D
    « Last Edit: 06:00 PM, 05/01/13 by timeout »

Offline rvn1968

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+32)
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #10 on: 04:54 PM, 05/01/13 »
  •   My uncle had an old trick that he used on beavers,it might work for you. He made a cheap raft out of two logs with a length of pipe suspended between them. He and the kids or anybody with a rifle would lay on the ground and he'd shoot the pipe.Everything down there would pop their head up. Worked for him and he got some nice fur. FWIW Tom.
    RVN1968

Offline roadkill61

Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #11 on: 12:35 PM, 05/02/13 »
  • Go down after dark with a small flashlight. They will come to the light and you can deal with them as you see fit. (ie 12 bore)

Offline wmdron

• Site $$ Contributor
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #12 on: 02:07 PM, 05/02/13 »
  • I kept a close watch on the pond at dusk last night and even went out this morning at about 6am and sat for awhile but no go. Well it's only been one day, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of those critters. I did find another den hole. it looks like trapping might be the answer. I think I'll try a couple of the tricks posted here while I'm waiting on the traps to arrive. Sure would like to warm my 22-250 up for this years varminting though. Thanks again, Ron...

Offline Bob3700

• Ace Member
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #13 on: 02:17 PM, 05/02/13 »
  • They seem to be creatures of habit.  Come out the same time each day swimming around and gathering food.

Right now in cental IL, they are out between 4-6 pm.  Very busy bunch they are.

Bob
    Bob Beckett
    In Sight of the St. Louis Arch

Online people

• Ace Member
    Muskrat in pond
    « Reply #14 on: 03:25 PM, 05/02/13 »
  • You may just need to do the Jimmy JJ Walker method.  'Dy-no-mite'

Traping might be the ticket. 
    They say “I am pro hunter.”  Means they do not care about your handguns or your AR-15.
    They say “I am progun but why do you have to have a 15 or 30 rd mag.” They are antigun.
    Are you progun or antigun?

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.