Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Ammunition shipping to NY?  (Read 727 times)

Offline napsac9

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
Ammunition shipping to NY?
« on: 10:44 PM, 04/03/13 »
  • Can anyone tell me if it is legal for me to ship ammo to NY state?  Thanks

Offline Killshot

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    • X's matter....but 10s win
    « Reply #1 on: 01:38 AM, 04/04/13 »
  • A little Googling turned up this.....
    Email from Midway (implies ammo restrictions take effect 1-1-14)
    Dear Valued Customer,
    I'm sure you're well aware that on January 15, 2013, New York passed and the Governor signed into law the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act. Now, I'm no politician, but it looks like all this law does is keep law abiding New Yorkers from purchasing or owning certain products, many of which we sell. While, I've always been against bad people doing bad things, I've also always been against honest folks being deprived of their 2nd Amendment rights. It pains me that New Yorkers are going to suffer for the acts of the wicked who don't obey laws.
    When this law went into effect last week, MidwayUSA rushed to comply and keep our Customers and our company from doing anything illegal. Since this 39-page law was written and approved by people who don't know what a gun is or the difference between bullets and ammunition, we had to spend a lot of time sorting through the legalese to fully understand the details. To say the least, the law was confusing, so we erred on the side of caution. It looks like we jumped the gun a little and we are truly sorry for that.
    Now that we've had time to read through the law several times and have received some answers from the NY State Police, we can fix our mistakes. Effective immediately, we've lifted our newly imposed New York restrictions on ammunition, reloading components and magazines with a capacity of 8 to 10-rounds. Now, unfortunately, we'll have to reinstate these when each portion of the law goes into effect (April 15, 2013 for magazines and January 15, 2014 for ammo). And, we'll have to reinstate these restrictions about 2-weeks prior to the effective dates to make sure Customers have these products prior to those dates (clarified by an attorney for the NY State Police).
    One last thing, if you had a backorder for these products and we cancelled it, we're in the process of contacting you to see if you want this backorder recreated.
    Again, we're sorry for any inconvenience we've caused you. Please understand, everything we do is intended to be in the best interest of our Customers.

I know that BassPro Shops also resumed selling to NY state residents in January'13.

I do believe that New York City has had a no-ammo sales restriction for some time. Here is a reference I see used often;
    http://www.theamericanmarksman.com/State-Restrictions_ep_42.html

I don't think a private party sale is prohibited as long as they aren't a resident of NYC proper.

Offline Cold Bore

• Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #2 on: 01:50 AM, 04/04/13 »
    Can anyone tell me if it is legal for me to ship ammo to NY state?  Thanks

Only as long as it is in quantities of 10 rounds (one non-high-cap magazine worth) or less. :P

Online Taildrag15X

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+26)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 06:29 AM, 04/04/13 »
  • As a New York resident I wish to thank the folks that have taken the time also to research this, who in a knee jerk reaction to the New Law shut us off and kicked us to the curb.

Now that they will ship us ammuntion, which also covers the 4 components to make it by Legal Definition, there is still a very rough patch ahead for us with a "shortage" & "hoarding".   That will keep most from buying what they need as supplies are limited to "per order" and unless all gets back to normal, some will never have the Brown Truck pull up and drop off 50 lbs. of powder on their porch again.   Once the law goes into effect 1/15/14 there will be a real shortage in New York, at least here in the North Country, of the 3 true local gun Shops, only 2 carry some powder & primers and those 2 have already stated they will not be doing "Background Checks" for any internet orders because the State is not going to tell them how much they can charge.   

Mike

F-Class High Master

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.