Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Hornady brass  (Read 1696 times)

Offline LRPV

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Ace Member
  • Jason Walker
Hornady brass
« Reply #15 on: 08:28 AM, 04/03/13 »
  • I saw a box of Winchester silver tip bullets on our walk through the plant. I had always assumed that these bullets were made by Nosler. Who knows what all they are making. I have never used any of their brass but I can't find anything wrong with the V-max and A-max bullet lines for what I use them for. The 53 grain V-max, 75 grain A-max, 105 grain A-max in my opinion have no equals as far as high BC varmint bullets.
    Jason

Offline ReedG

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    Hornady brass
    « Reply #16 on: 08:40 AM, 04/03/13 »
  • FWIW to the OP, I have a box of Hornady .22 Hornet ammo that, when fired, about a third of them have the flash hole way off center.
    Reed Garfield

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    Hornady brass
    « Reply #17 on: 09:19 AM, 04/03/13 »
  • As per the last reply about Hornet brass - I think Hornady's brass quality was questionable early on. Too many reports of primer pockets not standing up to repeated loadings, etc. to ignore. But from what I'm seeing right now, the quality has improved measurably. I recently bought a 500pc box of 6 HAGAR brass by Hornady, and though I'm just getting into shooting with it, so far, it's been very, very good. Primer pockets are good 'n snug, neck wall thickness is uniform, and loaded round TIR is as good as most of the ammo I use Lapua brass for (6BR, 6 Dasher, 6x47, 6.5x47, 6.5x55). Also - check out what the guys on the 6.8 SPC forum have to say about Hornady 6.8 SPC brass vs. SSA or R-P - very positive reports there, too.

From my own perspective, I've seen several pieces of Lapua 6.5x47 & 6.5x284 that were defective right out of the box - splits in necks, extractor grooves not cut deeply enough to fit in a #3 shellholder, etc. When you're forced to pay a premium price for ANY brand of brass, you have every right to expect premium quality. I'm not saying the 6 HAGAR brass was a bargain - I paid 75 cents/piece, even purchasing in case quantity - but at least every single one of those 500 cases was in good condition, and with no flaws that I've found yet. Wouldn't it be great to have an American company making brass of comparable quality to the best European brands?
    Regards,
    Dennis

Offline Outrider27

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    Hornady brass
    « Reply #18 on: 08:27 PM, 04/03/13 »
  • I've always really liked Hornady brass until I got my savage 338 lapua. If I shoot Hornady brass I have to pound the bolt open. That's with factory Hornady  ammo. I've used Norma and lapua without it happening once.

Interesting - definitely a case of "your experience may differ", I guess. To initially get brass for my Savage 110BA 338 Lapua I went ahead and bought Hornady ammo so that I didn't have to load before sighting in and break-in. Performance has been fine and no problems with rifle function, and the brass has proven to be first rate. Since it was all that anyone had in stock at the time I was ordering, I also use Hornady brass in my 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmore; again, the brass has been first rate, especially for the price.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.