Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: H4350 VS AA 4350 VS IMR 4350  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Terry

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Ace Member
    • Wisconsin Wealth Advisors, LLC
H4350 VS AA 4350 VS IMR 4350
« on: 08:31 AM, 03/25/13 »
  • Has anyone tested these?
    How do they compare?
    I know the burn rates vary from each other.
    Any difference in accuracy or temperature sensitivity?
    The words of a mans mouth are deep waters, but the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook. Proverbs 18:4

Offline lmmike

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 08:39 AM, 03/25/13 »
  •  The IMR 4350 is temperature sensitive powder. The H4350 not nearly as much. Only 2 I have used of the 3.
    Mike Jakubczak  
    Team 21st Century Shooting

Offline jefats

• Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #2 on: 08:47 AM, 03/25/13 »
  • I've used Hodgdon and Dupont with various calibers and good results but not Accurate Arms yet.  However, I have read recently that all three are actually the same powders.  Anyone else hear/read the same?
    Jim

Offline EOD350

• Trade Count: (+13)
    « Reply #3 on: 08:54 AM, 03/25/13 »
  • I have used H4350 and IMR 4350. The IMR is temperature sensitive, but not terribly. I get better velocity from the IMR and the groups are just as good, maybe slightly better. I developed the load when it was 90*.

It changed a few weeks ago when it was around 38 - 40*. Just came up a few clicks and was back on. Keep in mind I am not in the class of shooters as you and others on here.
    « Last Edit: 08:56 AM, 03/25/13 by EOD350 »

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 09:20 AM, 03/25/13 »
  • I seriously doubt all three are the same powder - ADI in Australia makes Hodgdon's extruded powders, IMR's plant is in Canada, and the last time I checked, AA's extruded powders were made in China.
    Regards,
    Dennis

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 09:26 AM, 03/25/13 »
  • I seriously doubt all three are the same powder - ADI in Australia makes Hodgdon's extruded powders, IMR's plant is in Canada, and the last time I checked, AA's extruded powders were made in China.

Dennis is correct. I didn't know that AA-4350 was made in China now (had wondered when we'd start seeing propellants from that region though). It used to be made by Explosia in the Czech Republic (still available in Europe as Lovex SO70) as were most AA powders, but after Western bought AA, it changed suppliers across the board. Most or all AA ball powders come from the same source as Ramshot, a modern plant in Belgium.

Offline WyleWD

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 09:35 AM, 03/25/13 »
  • Terry, when I decided to try working up a load with 4350 in my 6xc (that you've shot against a few times) I tried both at several different outdoor temps, over a chrony, at distance, etc. Frankly, in my rilfe neither showed a definate edge over the other in either accuracy or this "temp. sensitive" thing.  I decided to use the H4350 only because it seems to be in more stable supply around here.  Just my experience with it.  Never tried the AA only because I never saw it anywhere around here locally till last fall.

Was there a bad case of mirage last weekend in Indiana?? ;-) WD

Offline Gary in MD

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    « Reply #7 on: 09:58 AM, 03/25/13 »
  • I have all three powders. I have used IMR 4350 the most over the years, with very good results in the 243 win, 257 wby 270 win, and 30-06. I recently tried using AA4350 for some fireforming loads in my 6mmai because I didn't want to burn up my n160, the loads with the AA 4350 were some of the most accurate I have fired out of the rifle, but a little dirty. I bought the H4350 because it is supposed to be more temperature stable but I haven't conducted any tests yet.
    Gary

Offline Gary in MD

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    « Reply #8 on: 10:02 AM, 03/25/13 »
  • For what it's worth... my 8lb jug of AA4350 says it was made in Israel. I've had it for qite a while.
    Gary

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 10:12 AM, 03/25/13 »
    I've had it for qite a while.

I reckon that's quite an understatement!

Yes, the original AA powders were made by IDI (Israeli Defence Industries) back in the 80s (?). Israeli AA-2520 was briefly legendary for 308 M1As and M14s in XC shooting and the company traded on this for years calling it the 'Camp Perry powder', although later (Czech?) lots of the powder didn't perform as well.

Offline Lazydays

« Reply #10 on: 10:45 AM, 03/25/13 »

Dennis is correct. I didn't know that AA-4350 was made in China now (had wondered when we'd start seeing propellants from that region though). It used to be made by Explosia in the Czech Republic (still available in Europe as Lovex SO70) as were most AA powders, but after Western bought AA, it changed suppliers across the board. Most or all AA ball powders come from the same source as Ramshot, a modern plant in Belgium.

actually there is little if any gun powder made in this country. The group in East Europe quit manufacturing the powders were came to love (like AA3100). Some of the new stuff maybe Chinese, but if it is they didn't tell me about a year ago when I had a lengthy conversation with them.

Back to the three 4350's. The burn rates are ever so slightly different. AA4350 is the fastest with IMR being a little slower and Hogdons being right behind it on the chart. I own and use all three, and each seems to fit a nitch the others can't. I personally have had better luck with 4831 and 3100 than the Hogdon 4350.
    gary

Offline Citysmasher

« Reply #11 on: 01:23 PM, 03/26/13 »

Dennis is correct. I didn't know that AA-4350 was made in China now

Nope.  Canada.  Just got the email from Accurate.

AA4350 is made in Canada.

Offline jefats

• Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #12 on: 05:39 PM, 03/26/13 »

• FWIW
    AA website says AA4350 is made in Canada.  The website may not be up to date however.
    Jim

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 05:54 PM, 03/26/13 »
  • If Canada, that suggests it's manufactured by the IMR Powder Co. under contract. Powder is becoming multi-national like everything else and multi-site owners will increasingly switch production around between plants to suit workloads and cost structures. If Eurenco closes the Vihtavuori Finland factory, we'll almost certainly still have 'the same Viht powders', but now made in France or Belgium. Will they then really be the same despite the designation on the bottle, and how about lot to lot consistency if a grade is shuttled around between plants?

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.