Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: big money on ations...  (Read 5499 times)

Offline madderg

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
big money on ations...
« on: 08:19 PM, 03/16/13 »
  • This past  6 months I have built 2 fine rifles...one on a Savage target action, one on a top of the line custom action. Both barrels are Kreigers, and both chambers are cut with the same reamer. both have custom stocks I made. both are in 30 BR.  After many trips to the range I can tell you that the Savage shots as good or better than the custom action. No one was more surprised then I was. The ammo was exactly the same, as was the preps and all powder was weighed with the same loads and bullets...This does not say that custom actions are not great, just that Savage actions are right there with them..who would have thought??It's nice to know that you can spent half the money and get the same result, except that the custom action is so tight that ANYTHING getting into it will lock the bolt. I will update as this progresses.
    « Last Edit: 08:22 PM, 03/16/13 by madderg »
    Gary M.

Online A j shooter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Shoot often
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #1 on: 08:27 PM, 03/16/13 »
  • I have two savage target action one in 6br with a hart barrel & one in 308 with a Kreiger they shoot great. They out shoot me.
    « Last Edit: 08:29 PM, 03/16/13 by A j shooter »

Offline lal357

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #2 on: 09:01 PM, 03/16/13 »
  • what bolt did you use ptg ? i've been thinking about tightening my 110's up some (going to leave my pta alone it gtg)

Online zfastmalibu

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+34)
    • Ace Member
      • Northwest1000yardbenchrestshooters
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #3 on: 09:34 PM, 03/16/13 »
  • No doubt those savages will shoot.  For me the benefits of a custom are, speed, resale, and pride of ownership.  No Savage can run them like a smooth dual port.  I know of a guy who has had a very nice LR BR Savage that he has been trying to sell for at least a year.  I sold my custom in 5 days.  I enjoy shooting a bat much more than a Savage.  Also you cant set that trigger very light or the bolt has to be closed very slow or the trigger will trip.  But if I wanted to put a prairie dog gun together I would go Savage for sure due to the durability. JMO

Offline madderg

• Site $$ Contributor
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #4 on: 09:34 PM, 03/16/13 »
  • The only thing I changed on the bolt was the handle, and got a kit with a small ball bearing to smooth up the bolt throw..also the bench rest acu-trigger is good, no slop or wiggle. As far as resale, if I like it so much why would I want to sell it?? Bat is a great action, but did you ever get any burned residue from the extracted case in the lug area? If you did I bet the bolt seized...and my Savage is a dual port also.
    « Last Edit: 09:39 PM, 03/16/13 by madderg »
    Gary M.

Offline IA_shooter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #5 on: 06:48 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • As a newbie to building a LR precision rifle I was amazed at the cost of some of the actions available out there and I've always been a Savage guy, for over 15 years anyway, so I ended up going with a new Savage Varmint Action that has the 1.5# accutrigger at a cost of  aprox $450 for my build instead of some of the more expensive, custom actions in the $750-$1000 range that I'm not sure I could have even gotten right away.

I can't tell you if that was a good decision yet or not but I've seen more than a few posts like this one that tell me that I'll probably be glad I saved that other $300-$500 for other things that I'm getting to help me get up and going in this new found hobby of LR shooting.

If I take a liking to this hobby and spend more than a few years doing it I may end up with a custom action at some point but I'll always remember the availability and affordability the Savage action has offered me for my 1st ever build.  :)

Trevor
    Patriotic, Independent, Optimistic, Atheist

BIG fan of the 2nd Amendment - BIGGER fan of the 1st Amendment

Offline drags

• Trade Count: (+10)
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #6 on: 07:23 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • Maddreg, what custom action are you comparing the savage to?
    Drags

Offline dansig

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • only here to get better at what I do :)
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #7 on: 08:02 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • so I assume you developed the loads in the Savage ?

even if that load works in the Savage it might not work in the other rifle..

do another load development in the custom rifle and see if it starts shooting better...

Offline 6brmrshtr

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+56)
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #8 on: 08:11 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • I have a Panda and it has been everything from a 6.5x 284 to now a 6 Dasher. I recently put together a Savage Target Dual port 6 Dasher with Krieger bbl, and Elisio Stock. It is now my favorite gun to shoot at MR. Very Accurate and a joy to shoot. I still use the Panda for LR, but the next purchase of an action will likely be a Savage or Remington. JMHO
    "Everything has its limit – iron ore cannot be educated into gold."
    Mark Twain

Offline markr

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #9 on: 08:12 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • This past  6 months I have built 2 fine rifles...one on a Savage target action, one on a top of the line custom action. Both barrels are Kreigers, and both chambers are cut with the same reamer. both have custom stocks I made. both are in 30 BR.  After many trips to the range I can tell you that the Savage shots as good or better than the custom action. No one was more surprised then I was. The ammo was exactly the same, as was the preps and all powder was weighed with the same loads and bullets...This does not say that custom actions are not great, just that Savage actions are right there with them..who would have thought??It's nice to know that you can spent half the money and get the same result, except that the custom action is so tight that ANYTHING getting into it will lock the bolt. I will update as this progresses.

I have always suspected that the finest custom actions were a horrible ripoff. I need to send this thread to all my BR buddies so they can start saving a lot of money as well! Not much wait time either!............... 8)
    « Last Edit: 08:14 AM, 03/17/13 by markr »
    Life is too short to do things the easy way

Offline Cold Bore

• Trade Count: (+7)
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #10 on: 09:56 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • For me the benefits of a custom are, speed, resale, and pride of ownership.

I know of a guy who has had a very nice LR BR Savage that he has been trying to sell for at least a year.  I sold my custom in 5 days.

While I'm not a full-blown custom guy (I haven't made it past trued up M700s, 40-Xs, and Shilen DGA), I gotta agree. I shoot for fun, and love to snipe long range groundhogs, not shoot any formal competition. I hear lots of good things about the Savages, but just can NOT warm up to their looks.

I've seen some good deals on a few Savages, but just can't see myself owning one. Might be shooting myself in the foot, but that's the view from here...

Online BoydAllen

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+9)
    • Ace Member
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #11 on: 10:56 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • I think that discussions about action performance require some qualification as to how well the fellow who has made the comparison is shooting. Outside of competition smallest group produced tends to be the standard, while in formal group competition averages of groups shot on the same day, and on consecutive days are used to determine winners. It is true that someone who is not shooting formal matches, may not see much advantage in accuracy when comparing the accuracy of a blueprinted factory acton, or one that is sufficiently straight in the first place, when comparing it to a custom action, but there are many other parts to doing well in competition, and if these are not optimized, the difference could well be lost in the noise. I seldom see non competition shooters practicing over a set of wind flags, and while I have seen some amazing groups shot by my friends who do not do the whole benchrest thing, their results vary quite a bit from day to day. They are not as consistent as the performance that a well tuned custom actioned rifle, shot and tuned as in competition produces, day in and day out. It may be that if they shot and tuned as a competitive shooter does, that they would, but this has yet to be determined.

Offline madderg

• Site $$ Contributor
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #12 on: 11:00 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • I would rather not mention the name of the action maker for obvious reasons, but it has all the bells and whistles including a Jewel trigger. And I worked up loads for each gun, and they both really liker the same load in the end... Jeff Fowler's 117gr bullets HBN coated with 36grs. of Benchmark.
    Gary M.

Offline CanusLatransSnpr

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #13 on: 11:24 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • I too shoot a couple of Savage actioned guns, both with aftermarket barrels, and I love the ease of putting a Savage together on my own without the added expense of bringing of gunsmith into the equation!  However, I'm not a competition shooter either so the "necessity" isn't there for topnotch equipment and a smith with the best track record of building comp. rifles.  Sometimes the "reason" behind the expenditure of large sums of money on a custom action is just for peace of mind!  One less thing to trouble shoot with a rifle, especially in a competition forum!  Someday I would love to own a custom action/barrel/trigger/stocked rifle to shoot varmints!  Why some would ask?  Just because that's what I want and it's my money so who is anyone to say?

Mike
    The only people that don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything!

Offline broncman

• Ace Member
    big money on ations...
    « Reply #14 on: 11:36 AM, 03/17/13 »
  • Anybody know the lock time of a Savage vs some of the customs?

If a savage is true...boltface, lugs, tighter bolt, then what makes it different from a custom action?   Besides looks, lock time, and ease of bolt lift after being fired...and price?

I have no idea what the lock time is on a savage..

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.