Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 223 Reamer Freebore  (Read 1147 times)

Offline cjmill87

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+120)
  • Ace Member
223 Reamer Freebore
« on: 01:54 PM, 02/19/13 »
  • I recently spoke to Dave at PTG and he recommended his 223 Rem Match reamer with a .123 freebore for 80 grain and higher loads.  I am planning on shooting the Berger 80.5s up to 600 yards.  My question is, does this freebore seem too long?  I have gone through posts and not seen this number before.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Chris Miller
    NRA Life Member

Offline bigedp51

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #1 on: 05:10 PM, 02/19/13 »
  • I think he got his 224 Weatherby Magnum free bore figures mixed in with his .223/5.56 figures or else you need new batteries in your phone and hearing aids.

HOLLIGER ON .223/5.56 CHAMBERS
    http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm

Offline Dave L Kiff

• Site $$ Sponsor
    223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #2 on: 07:03 PM, 02/19/13 »
  • The free-bore for a .080 grain is anywhere from pushed way in the case at .050 to as long as a person would like to seat them out . I like the length Bill Wylde has on his print .077 . I use .077 to .090 on some reamers . I have ground reamers with .123 free bore ,this is usually for folks that are loading 90 grain and 80 grain, the world record or near world record  shot in New Zealand by  Canadian shooter Bob Pitcairn had close to a  .123 free bore . I cant say exactly because he did not want me to let the cat out of the bag. I have ground free bores for the 90 grain way  out to .190 and beyond  The very best way to get the correct free bore is to always send in a dummy round . That way there is no doubt and is what the customer wants.  that   

Offline rcw3

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #3 on: 08:42 PM, 02/19/13 »
  • I have one with a .120" free bore and a 1˚15" throat angle (mild throat angle) and a max case of 1.760" and it works very well with the Berger 80.5 and 82 gr bullets.  That long free bore is more for a bolt gun set up where you are trying to load the bullets out so that when they hit the lands, the junction of the boat tail and bearing surface of the bullets are just ahead of the neck/shoulder junction of the case.  For an AR-15, where you will be magazine feeding bullets and need to stay within 2.260" OAL, that's a bit long.  The chart above is all generally AR-15 type reamers.

Robert Whitley

Offline tripleduce

223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #4 on: 10:10 PM, 02/19/13 »
  • Does anyone know the the freebore of a Savage model 10 .223? I can't get any where near the lands with anything less than the 69gr Sierra MK and have more than .06 of the bullet in the case neck. It must have a lot of freebore. My AR loads with 60gr at 2.260 mag length have a jump of .090.

Ben

Offline bigedp51

• Ace Member
    223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #5 on: 11:04 PM, 02/19/13 »
  • If you go to http://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php and ask Mrfurious he will tell you everything you need to know on the subject.  ::)

Offline Exocet

• Basic Member
    223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #6 on: 09:42 AM, 02/20/13 »
  • I have a PTG 223 reamer with an .040 freebore that is set up for 55-69 grain bullets. 

I'd think that .123 freebore is way too much, even for an 80 grainer.

Offline TrxR

• Trade Count: (+1)
    223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #7 on: 10:47 AM, 02/20/13 »
  • I recently read an article from a .223 shooter that recommended .164 for 90gr Bergers. So I am interested as well.

Thanks

Offline bigedp51

• Ace Member
    223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #8 on: 06:34 PM, 02/20/13 »
  • Does anyone know the the freebore of a Savage model 10 .223? I can't get any where near the lands with anything less than the 69gr Sierra MK and have more than .06 of the bullet in the case neck. It must have a lot of freebore. My AR loads with 60gr at 2.260 mag length have a jump of .090.

Ben

By bumpng a new case in a resizing die enough to just hold the bullet and chambering in your Savage and AR you should find that the majority of Savage/Stevens rifles have more freebore than your AR15s do.

"BUT" Savage also makes .223 rifles with 1 in 14, 1 in 10, 1 in 9 and 1 in 7 twist. The 1 in 14 twist might be short throated and have pressure problems with military M885 ammunition.

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    223 Reamer Freebore
    « Reply #9 on: 05:29 PM, 02/21/13 »
  • + 1 on Robert Whitley's (as always) excellent advice.

If you're shooting a single-shot F/TR type bolt-gun, go with Dave Kiff's suggestion. It'll give you a near optimal bullet seating position with 80s and the 80.5gn Berger Fullbore.

I've run 223s at MUCH longer freebore for 90s and they'll still handle the 80s seated shallow in the neck, but you only want to be up in that 0.190 + range if you're setting out to shoot the 90s and little or nothing else.

My next 223 barrel will be chambered with the reamer that Dave Kiff recommends.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.