Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: H4350 load work up - 243 Win.  (Read 2599 times)

Offline RMitch223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
H4350 load work up - 243 Win.
« on: 09:58 PM, 02/11/13 »
  • I've developed a fairly accurate load with my rifle using IMR-4350 and the 105 Amax in my .243 Win.

I'm switching to H4350 because of less temperature sensitivity.

I found two pounds of H4350 yesterday locally. So im starting a new load work up.

What charge weight do you recommend I start my workup at?

My Hornady manual shows a starting charge weight of 38.3gn and a max of 41gn.

Hodgdon's data online shows a starting charge weight of 35gn and a max of 37.5 so I'm a little confused as to why they are so much different.

I'm loading for the 105amax in Lapua brass seated at 2.800" OAL with CCIBR2 Primers.

Currently I'm preparing to load these five charge weights.
    39gn
    39.5gn
    40gn
    40.5gn
    41gn

Quickload shows my max pressure if 54,000 at 41gn so I'm fairly comfortable knowing I'm not pushing the limits too much, but the data from the Hogdgon website with a max charge weight of 37.5gn has me second guessing myself. I assume it's because of a different seating depth that was used from the Hodgdon data.

Am I ok to go ahead with the 5 charge weights I listed above?

Thanks,

Ryan
    Only accurate rifles are interesting - Col. Townsend Whelen.

Offline RMitch223

• Basic Member
    « Reply #1 on: 08:32 AM, 02/12/13 »
  • TTT

Offline CanusLatransSnpr

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 11:21 AM, 02/12/13 »
  • I recommend going .3gr. increments and start at the minimum charge they give!  You never know, you might find an accurate node in the lower end of the powder charge range?  Once you get a good charge play with seating depth till you get it as good as can be!

Mike
    The only people that don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything!

Offline RMitch223

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 12:14 PM, 02/13/13 »
  • I recommend going .3gr. increments and start at the minimum charge they give!  You never know, you might find an accurate node in the lower end of the powder charge range?  Once you get a good charge play with seating depth till you get it as good as can be!

Mike

I was thinking about loading some lower charges at 37gn, 37.5, 38, 38.5, then 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5, 41.

Just to be safe, most of the people I have talked to say there load is around 41 - 42 grains, but when I saw that hodgdon's max I gotta a little nervous starting my workup at 39gn.

But then again, If I'm good to go with no pressure issues at a 39gn starting charge I would'nt be wasting time, powder and bullets at those lower charge levels that Hodgdon recommends.

Offline jde650

• Basic Member
    « Reply #4 on: 09:36 PM, 02/13/13 »
  • I am not sure what loading manual you are looking at but Hodgdon on line loading data lists 43.5 grains H4350 as Max @ 58,800 PSI for the and 41.0 for starting load.
     :) :)

Jim

Offline jde650

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 09:40 PM, 02/13/13 »
  • Sorry, I was thinking of the 6mm rem. My old eyes dont see to well or my brain doesnt function to well.

:D :D

Jim

Offline RMitch223

• Basic Member
    « Reply #6 on: 03:44 PM, 02/19/13 »
  • Here is the Quickload data Ive been looking at.

37gn seems fairly conservative.

Second page is the Quickload data at 41gn that I plan on working up to, still seems pretty safe in regards to pressure...?

Offline 243DH

« Reply #7 on: 02:46 PM, 02/20/13 »
  • I run 42.0 gr under a 107 non moly smk in a 24" 1-8 6 grove criterion barrel, 3130fps.  In a 25.5" 1-8 4 groove Krieger i use 42.5 gr under the same 107smk, gets me 3100.  Win brass and br2, ob the 8 th loading on the brass.  Also use h4831sc in 2 other243 1-8 barrels, they are 26&28" long tubes, brux and LW.

Offline Bamapse

• Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #8 on: 10:52 PM, 02/26/13 »
  • I am shooting 105 amax with 39.2gr of h4350 and they seem to be great. When I get home, I will see what my lengths are and get back to ya

Offline RMitch223

• Basic Member
    « Reply #9 on: 03:37 PM, 04/25/13 »

• So far 38gn, 39.5 & 40.5 have been the sweet spots.

As soon as I narrow it down to one charge weight im going to start tweaking the seating depth .005 in each direction. Ive never changed the seating depth after working up. How can I be sure there will be no pressure issues when seating the bullet .005" more into the land and .005" away from the lands?
    Anybody have a rule of thumb for this or is worrying about pressure after changing seating depths not important?
    « Last Edit: 08:01 AM, 04/26/13 by RMitch223 »

Offline boltgunluvr

« Reply #10 on: 07:55 AM, 04/26/13 »
  • One's accuracy load is generally NOT a hot load. Most of mine are in the lower half of the charge range.

Offline RMitch223

• Basic Member
    « Reply #11 on: 08:41 PM, 04/27/13 »
  • Bump,

For advise on seating depth adjustments after finding a optimal charge weight.

Offline eric32

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+42)
    • Palma
    « Reply #12 on: 11:14 PM, 04/27/13 »
  • check out this thread as well might provide you with some good information

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3808095.0
    Ten men wisely lead will beat a hundred without a head

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.