Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Loads for 6.5 x 55 swede  (Read 889 times)

Offline fourxfour44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Loads for 6.5 x 55 swede
« on: 05:27 PM, 01/24/13 »
  • Hi, I recently bought a Steyr Mannlicher pro hunter stainless in 6.5 x 55SW, and I am just working out a good accurate load to be use for Roe Deer.
    I have tried 44grns V/V N160 and 44.5grns N160, both loads produce under 1" groups @100yds with the 44.5 load being slightly tighter, I shoot Hornady 140gr SP Interlocks.
    Anybody out there got a 'pet' load that is accurate and does not cause too much meat damage ?.
    Regards.
    Al.

Offline 2506

• Ace Member
    Loads for 6.5 x 55 swede
    « Reply #1 on: 07:59 AM, 01/25/13 »
  • I use Accurate 4350 for my Swedes in 6.5X55. With the 29" barrel 44 grs AA 4350 will give a 140 gr bullet 2800 fps and with 46 grs I get right at 3000 fps with 120 gr bullets. These loads are under 46000 CUP for the 96 Mauser small ring action according to the manual. As far as meat damage goes it depends on where you shoot them as to how much damage is done. If you hit the front shoulder with most any bullet you will destroy it. If you shoot them close to the back edge of the front shoulder in the heart and lungs little meat will be lost but you may have to do a little tracking. The deer will be dead but many times a heart shot animal will run off a bit before it realizes it is dead. 

Offline fourxfour44

• Basic Member
    Loads for 6.5 x 55 swede
    « Reply #2 on: 06:45 PM, 01/25/13 »
  • Thanks for that, I have shot two deer with it so far (44grn load), the first was a neck shot, the second went through both shoulders as I aimed slightly more to the right as I thought it was angled away, I was suprised that the damage was less than the damage caused by my .243 with 100grn sp bullets with a heart/lung shot.
    I think the 6.5 Swede is a great round for 'gathering the venison'!

Offline p-man

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    Loads for 6.5 x 55 swede
    « Reply #3 on: 10:12 PM, 01/26/13 »
  • I think the key to that answer is to keep your velocity down - rather your impact velocity to temper your  bullet performance - I too like the 160 round nose, if only at first because it shot so well in my Swede's really quick twist of somewhere around 7 inches - also it was really deep-throated and it was one the few bullets long enough to allow me to load right off the lands - I have also had good luck with the 140 Nosler Partition - shoots well and holds together with moderate expansion at reasonable impact velocities - both of these are solid killers and don't do alot of meat damage.  For the 160 my favorite is 47.5 grains of Reloader 22 - this may seem a little high but I'm seating my bullets very shallow in the neck - anyway, I get right at 2500fps. For the 140 I use 44.5 grains of IMR 4831 and get a little over 2600 fps - I use Federal Gold Medal Match primers in both these loads - my barrel length is 22 inches.
    Hope this helps - don't know if your European rifle has a quick twist or not.
    P-Man               
    US Army/ARNG (Retired) 1969-2011  
    Shooting: 250 Sav, 250 Sav AI, 6.5x47, 6.5x55, 270, 7mm-08, 7x57, 280, 280AI, 308, 30-06Ack.  New projects:  7x57, 280AI#3, 300Sav, 8x57, 8mm-06AI, 338-06AI

Offline JRS

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+52)
    • Ace Member
    Loads for 6.5 x 55 swede
    « Reply #4 on: 10:16 PM, 01/26/13 »
  • I would be glad to share some loads with you, but by PM or email only.

Offline fourxfour44

• Basic Member
    Loads for 6.5 x 55 swede
    « Reply #5 on: 02:16 PM, 01/28/13 »
  • Thanks again more good information.
    I will get in touch JRS.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.