Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Redding Competition Bushing Neck Sizing Die  (Read 1755 times)

Offline TxCigarMadCap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Redding Competition Bushing Neck Sizing Die
« on: 08:57 AM, 01/01/13 »
  • I acquired a set of Redding Competition Bushing Neck Sizing Die, Competition Seating Die and Body Sizing Die. I have always used the basic full length sizing die and seater die for all my hunting calibers. I understand stand the body sizing die acts a full sizing die minus the neck?

What I do not fully understand is the advantage in neck sizing the full length of the neck or just 1/2 or 1/3 of the neck? Or am I completely off in my understanding?

Thanks in advance for the help

Offline 243winxb

« Reply #1 on: 01:10 PM, 01/01/13 »
  • The body die is said to act like a FL die,minus the neck . Sizing 1/2 of the neck lets the unsized  part of the neck expand to the chamber, centering the neck/round in the chamber. Works, i would guess, only with a FL sized case? I use the Type-S FL bushing die for 243 win. If i size more of the neck, accuracy drops off. Rem. 40X single shot rifle.  Testing is the only way to know.  :)

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 01:22 PM, 01/01/13 »
  • It’s an interesting question. 

I think one of the advantage of sizing only part of the neck with a bushing die is you absolutely control the bearing surface length of the neck that contacts the bullet bearing surface.  That surface length is affected by how far down the bushing goes down the neck and the OAL of the case. 

One would think that the same would be true if you bump the shoulders down consistently and trim the case so that the OAL is consistent but there could be slight differences in where the neck shoulder junctions are? 

Having a consistent bearing surface length allows you to better control the part of neck tension which is contributed by contact surface area between the neck and the bullet.

Offline TxCigarMadCap

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 02:47 PM, 01/01/13 »

• The idea is to size slightly more of the neck than the bullet is seated.

So if the shank of the bullet is seated into the shoulder area then you want the entire neck sized? I am trying to understand, I am not familiar with some of the more technical aspects of reloading. My reloading experience up to this point has been basic hunting reloads. I use a bullet comparator to measure ogive off the rifling but that's about the extent of my technical knowledge. So you are dealing with a very green newb.

I want to thank you for your input. I learn from every post. Well some of them, when I understand what's being explained!

Online jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+184)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #4 on: 03:10 PM, 01/01/13 »
  • No dont size the whole neck,leave about a quarter of it in the fired condition to center the acrtidge once it is chambered.I do this even when I am slightly into the shoulder area.By the way you can do this with a regular neck sizer with a busing or a full length type s die.You dont need to sping for the micrometer as it adds significant cost to the die.
    « Last Edit: 03:12 PM, 01/01/13 by jonbearman »
    Jon  Lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline TxCigarMadCap

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 03:40 PM, 01/01/13 »
  • No dont size the whole neck,leave about a quarter of it in the fired condition to center the acrtidge once it is chambered.I do this even when I am slightly into the shoulder area.By the way you can do this with a regular neck sizer with a busing or a full length type s die.You dont need to sping for the micrometer as it adds significant cost to the die.

Well the dies come with a rifle I purchased so I got out of the expense. So with a no turn neck chamber you are leaving a 1/4 unsized to center the cartridge? That makes sense if I am understanding you correctly.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.