Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: New Old School, Accurizing and Tuning the 30-06  (Read 5072 times)

Offline mac86951

• Trade Count: (0)
New Old School, Accurizing and Tuning the 30-06
« Reply #15 on: 09:36 PM, 12/25/12 »
  • COL to lands length seems short?

Not really sure, as this is a new factory rifle, but in determining seating depth to lands, I found that the 173gr M118 FMJ seated to 3.280" is right on the lands.  This has been tested repeatedly and with several bullets from this batch, and my Sierra MK 180gr are also at the lands at ~3.270."  Assuming worst case variance on measurement to rifle, this still puts me on the lands with rounds seated 3.280-3.290."  To me this seems like a shorter chamber than I would have expected.  I plan on trying heavy bullets for long range, however, it seems to me that Weatherby put in a 30-06 chamber for more popular hunting bullets in the 150-180gr range.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out, but I can forsee using German's recommended Serengeti chamber from PTG when I'm ready to go custom barrel.  If for some reason I can't get what I want out of this barrel, I'll see about getting a throat reamer.

Questions:  Anyone tried, or have loading data on the 208 A-max for COL?  I've got 3.285" on Hodgdon website, anyone want to post their "customized" off the lands COL?

Given my "tighter" chamber (meaning less throat) I expect my loads to show pressure signs earlier.  Then to optimize seating off of the lands, I'll actually be seating deeper than the loading manuals suggest (~0.010").  Anyone else run into this with any caliber?

Finally, I know this is mostly opinion based, but What are your go-to powders for the 30-06?

My beginning loads with bullets from 168gr and up will use:
    IMR-4895
    IMR-4064
    IMR-4350
    Varget
    Reloader17

-Mac

Offline Gary in MD

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+26)
    « Reply #16 on: 03:22 PM, 12/26/12 »
  • Mac,
    I have had very good accuracy with IMR 4350, IMR 4064, and Varget out of my 30-OH-Sixes.
    4350 & 4064 do not meter very well from a measure, Varget goes through a powder measure better and is said to be less temperature sensitive. I like the Federal match primers.
    Gary

Offline mac86951

« Reply #17 on: 08:44 PM, 12/26/12 »
  • Mac,
    I have had very good accuracy with IMR 4350, IMR 4064, and Varget out of my 30-OH-Sixes.
    4350 & 4064 do not meter very well from a measure, Varget goes through a powder measure better and is said to be less temperature sensitive. I like the Federal match primers.
    Gary

Thanks Gary,
       I've got an ok supply of the Federal match primers, so I'll be using them.  I also saved the $70 and I don't own a powder measure.  I've gotten great results with my own developed technique using a plastic spoon (rubbed with dryer sheet). I weigh every charge.  I'll look at measures when I'm ready for mass-reloading, but for now I'm doing 50 rounds at a time to develop loads.  Also good to know about the Varget, It's my go-to on the .223 with heavy bullets, but I'll be looking at Reloader 15/17/19 in the future.  I hear R15 burns cleaner than Varget, not a problem in the bolt gun, but a little sticky in the semi-auto .223.

-Mac

Offline bcarico

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+9)
    « Reply #18 on: 09:32 PM, 12/26/12 »
  • May sound a bit strange, but my 30-06 is a hammer with 165 Game Kings and good ol Reloader 15.

Offline mac86951

« Reply #19 on: 01:18 AM, 12/29/12 »
  • Well sorry for the data delay, but it was worth the wait.  I've got a Chrono on borrow so I can tune out my loads in the AR too this weekend, and I'll see how the 173 and IMR-4895 do.

-Mac

Offline mac86951

« Reply #20 on: 03:36 PM, 12/30/12 »
  • Well, the Chrono wasn't happy today, I barely got a reading off of the .223, and it didn't see any of the .308 bullets.  I did successfully complete pressure testing, there was no problem with 173gr up to 47gr of IMR4895, and as for groups, they all did as well as I could get them (meaning I was the weakest link), but I did have fun shooting the 3" Gong at 230yards, so the rifle is shooting well.

~46gr of IMR was the favorite for the rifle, it was doing really well, so I'll do some accuracy testing around that weight.

-Mac

Offline mac86951

« Reply #21 on: 09:53 PM, 01/20/13 »
  • Update:
       Well, I finally got some more brass resized.  I have been reloading for the past 2 months, and made it this far without a stuck case.  I learned that Hornady One-shot spray might not be enough for a 30-06 case, so I got the case removal set and some Imperial Die wax.  I also learned that my reloading bench wasn't strong enough, so I've added some more strength.  Resizing 30-06 is certainly harder work for the bench than say a .223...

-Mac

Offline ba_50

« Reply #22 on: 03:09 PM, 01/24/13 »
  • My 1000 yard rifle is a M70 target in 30/06.

Offline Brent Martell

• Basic Member
    « Reply #23 on: 04:03 PM, 01/24/13 »
  • I have 06 rem 700 bdl my dad bought me in 1981. That rifle has only seen trigger work and shoots 1.3 inch groups @ 300. Had a leu 3.5 x 10 x 40 from same year on it. Awesome hunting rifle.

Offline the long shot

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #24 on: 01:13 PM, 01/25/13 »
  • I bought a Savage 110F Police Sniper in 30-06 about 10 years ago (they don't make them anymore).  Medium weight barrel.  I had the barrel recrowned, put a Sinclair forearm adapter on it and worked up an excellent load of Varget and Nosler 168 BTHPs.  I went through Sierras and Hornady before settling on Noslers.  48.6 grains of Varget yield results that I can't complain.  Our local club has "Stock" rifle class matches and she holds her own, even taking 1 year Agg 3rd place a couple years ago.  One caveat, I had a custom brake made for the gun and they are permitted at our competitions.  It speeds up my follow through shots.  My cleaning regiment has changed in the last decade and the first thing I abandoned was the Hoppes.  It is my opinion there is a world of much better solvents out there from Butch's, to Slip 2000, to Montana Extreme to Shooter's Choice to Bore Tech.  I wish I had a picture, but the scope keeps blinking every time the flash goes off. :)

Offline Capt. Oblivious

• Basic Member
    « Reply #25 on: 05:46 AM, 01/29/13 »
  • love the 06

Mine is a Sako Deluxe topped with a Zeiss Victory
    Stands its ground or even out shoots any of my other rifles

Offline mac86951

« Reply #26 on: 05:57 PM, 02/03/13 »
  • Finally got a few rounds to the Chrono.

No problem hitting the 2" gong at 300 yards.

I loaded 173 FMJ M118 bullets on 46.0gr of IMR-4895. 2580fps average
    so this would be a light load for a 30-06.  I'll go up to 46.5gr for the remaining of the box of 100.

Next up to try is the 180gr Sierra Matchking.  I have found that while I like the heavy bullets, my chamber doesn't have the leade for them.  I might end up sticking with 168s until re-barrel time.  This won't give me the full edge over the .308 guys, but I should be able to practice my loading technique and see if I can keep up.

-Mac

Offline mac86951

« Reply #27 on: 09:33 PM, 03/07/13 »
  • Load Request:
       Anyone have 30-06 recommendations for charge weight/starting load using the 180gr SMK and H4350?  How about COL?

Thanks,
    -Mac

Offline wboggs

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+65)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #28 on: 10:24 PM, 03/07/13 »
  • Just happened to notice your postings on the .30-06. I have one built on a 700 action with a Krieger barrel and Master Class stock.  R Mulhern and German Salazar helped me greatly with loading data.  They have a wealth of knowledge and are willing to share it. German has written
    extensively on the .30-06 and his articles are a must read for you.

Offline the long shot

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #29 on: 11:38 AM, 03/18/13 »
  • Why limit yourself to shooting long range.  I have a club match winning Savage 110 in '06 for 200 yard VFS.  48.6 grains of Varget, 168 bthp Nosler, CCI primers, and Black Hills Gold Brass.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.